Anyone riding 25s?

Options
lpherman01
lpherman01 Posts: 212 Member
When I built my new bike with the Zipp 303s, they recommended running 25s because of the wider bead. I also had input from a pro shop that 25s do roll better over rougher pavement so I put Continental 4000s 25s on them as advised. WOW is all that I can say! With 10lbs less pressure, they roll so much nicer over anything but perfect pavement and are in general so much smoother that am going to switch to 25s on all my road bikes as the 23s wear out. Anyone else riding them?

Replies

• cyclist_44060
    cyclist_44060 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I run 25's. The roads around where I live are terrible and 23's could not hold-up. I thought I would sacrafice some speed, but it was not noticable. I put some gatorskins on them and really cut down on the flats as well. I do enjoy the smoother ride as well.
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,682 Member
    Options
    IMO the difference in tread width/tyre depth between a 23 and a 25 of the same make is often less than the difference between a 23 from 2 different makes. I used to run 23mm Continental GP4000's on a old Raleigh Dynatech which had REALLY close clearances - you could barely get a cigarette paper between the tyre tread and the seat-tube with the GP4000's. Unsurprising, tbh, as it was a late 80's frame what came as standard with 19mm Michelin Hi-LIte Hots, and back then 23's were considered "touring tyres".

Anyway, I decided to have a change (read - I got some cheap!) and swap to Michelin Pro Race 3's (again in 23c section.) Fitted them to the wheel, and for some reason, fitted the wheel before inflating. When I did inflate the tyres, the wheel was locked solid against the seat-tube and was rubbing on the fork crown at the front.

Not having any fancy modern wide-well rims (apart from the 'cross bike of course, which needs a wider well to cope with the 35mm clinchers and still make it easy to remove the tyre without levers) I tend to run either 23's both end or 23c at the front and 25c at the rear - but I don't really feel much of a difference in rolling resistance either way - If I lived in Germany, where the roads are properly surfaced and smooth, then maybe - but over here, it's somewhat moot.
  • jagi410
    jagi410 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Nope, 28's are the skinniest I'll ever go on a road bike. Lower rolling resistance, more comfortable ride, lower pressures...etc. Currently running Clement Strada LGG tires, but will switch to Compass tires when these die.
  • bsexton3
    bsexton3 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it is just me, but I switched to gatorskins and had more rolling resistance than when I switch tire size. But, it is worth it. I have been using gatorskins for about four years and have yet to have a flat. I am on my second or third set. Years ago, when I got my fast bike, my wife simply said, "that just means you need to ride more miles." Since I ride usually ride for a set time, the miles is the variable. So, give and take.

Then she would ride with me, and I always had to wait. She is a runner and has a mountain bike and I would be on my faster bike. Last year, she borrowed our daughter's bike and realized it was the bike. Now, I was trying to keep up. It is more the bike and rider than the tires.
  • johnwhitent
    johnwhitent Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    I'm a huge believer in 25"s. They are so much more comfortable and corner great. The last time I ruined a set the lbs only had 23's in stock so I bough the Conti 4000s in 23. I know many people love them, but I hated them. Michelin Pro series 25's forever! BTW, the tech geeks at Velo News printed a few articles claiming lower rolling resistance for 25's over 23's. Counter-intuitive, but they used a bunch of engineering studies (way over my head) to prove it. I don't know if that's true, but 25's win the comfort and cornering test hands down.
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,682 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it is just me, but I switched to gatorskins and had more rolling resistance than when I switch tire size. But, it is worth it. I have been using gatorskins for about four years and have yet to have a flat.

Oh, I'll give a +1 to that - they feel as wooden as a wooden thing, personally I liked the set of Conti 4 Seasons that I ran 2 years ago - they pretty much combined the puncture-proofing of the Gatorskins with the Black Chilli Rubber stickyness yet lower rolling resistance feel of the 4000s. Not a patch on the Vittoria Open Pave CX Evo's I ran last year mind - but they're probably 2/3 the price...
  • kcjchang
    kcjchang Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Been riding 28s and 32s since my collegiate racing day. Back then I use it mostly on training rides and on long road races. On criterium I switched to 23s and 25s when I wasn't lazy. Never found rolling resistance to be much of an issue and preferred having the comfort, grip, and the likeness feel of a tubular. Using 28s currently since I can find any decent 32s.
  • cowbellsandcoffee
    cowbellsandcoffee Posts: 2,975 Member
    Options
    I currently have 23's on my roadie. I have had 25's on several occasions. It does not matter too much to me.

I do roll 30's on my CX rig. :bigsmile: