Pain and confusion

Options
Hi there! I was just sleeved yesterday morning! Yesterday was great I was mentally handling everything well, and the pain was tolerable. I got 2 of my 3 shakes in for the day. But today has been a whole different experience. :( two of my 5 incisions are right on the top front of my abdomen, so those muscles are getting used with every move I make, which just flares up my pain. :( and the second thing is that I have no idea what my stomach is doing. I've pretty much worked through the cavity gas they filled my belly with, but now I've got awful intestinal gas (I'm using gas-x dissolvable strips to help with that) . I will drink a portion of my protein shake (2-3oz) and I can't tell if I'm full, hungry, gassy, or just in overall pain. Thankfully nausea hasn't been too much of a problem, but just about every other intestinal feeling has. I just don't know how to read my body now....
Any advice or experience? I am so done with this pain too! :(
Thanks guys! :) overall I'm very glad and excited to be here with you guys!

Replies

• Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Walk, walk,walk, while holding a pillow to your belly to hold the incisions. I prayed a lot to accept the severe discomfort as part of the process. The more I walked the better. It gets your intestines working again
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Finding your "full cue" takes awhile and you are brand new to this. So as Mangopickle said, walk, walk, walk. And sip, sip, sip on water. Yes, try and get your shakes in, but this early, hydration and movement are your friends. I didn't have much pain, so I can't really speak to that. But try the pillow Mangopickle suggested or maybe a tight tank or tshirt to help hold without compressing?

Hang in there girl. It does get easier.
  • MelanieWilliams3
    Options
    Thanks guys! It was a rough first week for me. Far worse than my 2 c-sections from what I can remember (of course I could eat whatever I wanted then! lol) But I am finally feeling like I've turned a corner. :) I am still trying to figure out my new stomach and its cues....some times I eat things and they make me burp a lot, but other times I will eat them and don't burp at all....I'll figure it out, it will just take time. I really can't wait to get to some sort of "normalcy" with my stomach feelings though....it is making the mental side of this journey a lot harder. :/
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! It was a rough first week for me. Far worse than my 2 c-sections from what I can remember (of course I could eat whatever I wanted then! lol) But I am finally feeling like I've turned a corner. :) I am still trying to figure out my new stomach and its cues....some times I eat things and they make me burp a lot, but other times I will eat them and don't burp at all....I'll figure it out, it will just take time. I really can't wait to get to some sort of "normalcy" with my stomach feelings though....it is making the mental side of this journey a lot harder. :/
    I burped for 5 months, get a pack of baby spoons and eat with those :) it will slow you down and force you to take tiny bites.
  • shirleygirl910
    shirleygirl910 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    It gets better. Walking is the best thing. I didn't have the gas pains until about three days out, but it is just a short stage in your journey. Be very open to change for the rest of your life. Things you liked, loved before you may not tolerate any more. Pizza was one of mine. It still hurts after four years. That's ok. I can eat something else.
  • CrainT1
    CrainT1 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Oh thank the lord someone else had the same experiences as me... Everyone is like this was so easy to recover from, OMG it was painful and aweful. But walking does help as well as eating slowly, very slowly. Remember take one day at a time and it will get better. I was about 2 weeks truly before I felt better for getting in an out of bed without pain. But I will tell you when you are ready start slowly exercising as it will help overall with getting to the goal line as well as recovery and energy. Do not over do it, you just had surgery, but walking etc. will definately assist. Best of luck to you!!!!
  • khontz
    khontz Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Just know it gets better and it is all worth it!!

Was sleeved on February 25, 2013. Like all the first few weeks were a monster. I unlike a lot of people didn't have so much pain but just gas pain. Walking was my friend for sure. My doctor had me on semi soft food in 5 days. He told me to CHEW you don't need chopped food or baby food you have the best chopper in the world, your teeth!!!

SO I managed through and dropped almost 200 lbs by November of last year and have been maintaining at 220. It has been a very rewarding experience and I can say I am not going back to where I was.

I maintain on about 1200 -1800 calories a day striving for 100-120 grams of protein a day. Going to the gym three days a week now since last September and doing great with it. Having more energy than I ever did.
    Down from a size 54 waist to a 36~~~~@!!!!!!
    Feel free to ask me anything. If I can help or assist in any way just ask!!!
  • kellysuemclean
    kellysuemclean Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I guess I am one of the lucky ones, because I didn't have any of the problems others have had. After a week I had no more abdominal pain, and I never experienced nausea or vomiting. I have lost 20 pounds since my surgery 4 weeks ago, and I hope to continue with my good fortune and keep losing until I reach my goal weight. I'm sure there will be roadblocks, but as long as I am aware, I'm sure I will be able to overcome them. Good luck to you!