Struggling and discouraged

Options
I had my VSG on April 16th. MY scale doesn't seem to move much, but it may be unreliable. Unfortunately, I cannot do much for exercise as I have a very bad ankle and knee that will be operated on later this year. I am also disabled by Fibromyalgia which means I have days when it is an accomplishment to get dressed! I don't know what to do beyond some stretches. I have been on the lookout for an exercise bike, but haven't found one I can afford yet.

I would like some encouragemnt and any advice anyone can give me. I see my Dr. on the 2nd of July, so will get an accurate weight then. Hopefully I can set up my scal at that time.

Where did you all get the tracking graphic that shows up on your posts? I can't find it.

Replies

• Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    I did very little exercise in the beginning but the real reason I stalled out early was because I was eyeballing my food portions and actually eating more calories than I was supposed to. I was supposed to eat 650 calories month 1, 750 calories month 2, 850-950 calories til maintenance. I was eating 1200-1400 and losing nothing. Which is obvious now, 1400 calories is maintenance for a sedentary 45 yr old woman. My NUt hooked me up with MFP and I never looked back. I bought a food scale and I use measuring cups to measure my food. I only eat my 3 meals and snack. No grazing! It is very easy to overeat by 300 calories by taking bites of food here and there. Some stalls are longer than others but if you stick to the calories and the 70% protein,25%veg-no potato, 5%whole grain lifestyle your body will give in and you will lose wt. wt loss drastically slows after the first 20-30 lbs. it takes me a month to lose 3 lbs now but I am only 12 lbs from maintenance. I just ignore the stalls and watch my food intake like a hawk. I think the tracking graphic comes with setting up a profile and food log
  • relentless2121
    relentless2121 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I won't be having my surgery for a few more months but I do have a tip about activity. When I was recovering from Whiplash twice as well as a herniated disc in my lower back I took Aquacize classes in an indoor swimming pool. For the last few years here they have offered special low-strain classes for people with Arthritis and Fibromyalgia. I don't know how large your city centre is but if these classes are offered I would encourage you to check them out. Even if those special classes aren't being offered till the fall, just getting into a pool and stretching your limbs is very relaxing and a good way to stretch and strengthen. They often have pool noodles to use to help you wade around in the water and help support you.

Stretching in the water isn't as painful as the water supports your joints. You are still able to move, strengthen and increase circulation, and it is so relaxing to wave around in the water. There are also some exercises that you can do sitting down like arm curls with soup cans and a low impact version of a jumping jack, and sitting down and taking turns raising each leg forward if you can and holding for two seconds. You could also lay on your bed and try to do a pelvic tilt if your ankle allows. I'm sure if you did a search on exercises that you could do while sitting in a chair or laying on your bed a lot of exercises would come up on the internet. I hope these suggestions help. Good luck and please keep us posted.
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options

Where did you all get the tracking graphic that shows up on your posts? I can't find it.

From your home screen, click on your picture to get to your profile. A little way down on the right is a link to "personalize your ticker". You can use a stock graphic or import your own.

Rob
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I agree with Relentless. I started this process, way back before I was even committed to surgery, by attending water aerobics at my YMCA. Water aerobics are a great workout -- you can do as much or as little as you are able.

I also agree with MangoPickle. Losing weight is probably 90-95% what you eat, especially in the immediate post-op period. Even though we're post-op and our sleeve surgery provides a great tool, you should still be weighing and measuring your foods. Are you sticking to protein and veggies at this point?
  • asia1967
    asia1967 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    ve7jne:

I had this exact problem I lost 5 lbs between my 6 month and 9 month appointment. The exact reason was I was eyeballing everything just like Mangopickle stated. I personally find that I am more successful when I weigh and measure. My dietician also recommend this site to me. Like Myownsunshine said in the beginning the weight lose is what you eat. Just keep trying different things until you find what works for you. We are all different and there is no one magic answer (wish there was)
    Good luck and don't give up.
  • ve7jne
    ve7jne Posts: 10
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the replies. I feel much more hopeful and I see a food scale in my future. As far as the swimming exercise goes, I live ina small town with limited opportunities, There will be some aquasize classes available in the fall. If they work around my home support schedule, I will likely try them. The surgery on my ankle should happen this winter. After the 3 month recovery, I should be able to do walking and other forms of exercise.
  • JreedyJanelle
    JreedyJanelle Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Sit in a upright chair and do boxing moves, one guy on biggest loser a few seasons back did that and still lost!