A Huge Decision

julieworley376
julieworley376 Posts: 444 Member
Okay so I am five years out from this coming to fruition as things stand at the moment, but I have been struggling back and forth with this decision for years to be honest, and now it is made I feel like a burden has been lifted.

In 2019 I am leaving America and returning to England for good.

And the more I say it, the better I feel. America has been home to me, I have a job, car, house but there was always something missing and that something is a family unit. I am alone here with my husband. He has three sons and three grandchildren that because of his ex wife and other families we barely ever spend time with and I certainly don't play a proper Grandmother role in their lives.

My daughter has a 2 year old girl I have never met and is expecting another in September. I completely missed the childhoods of my eldest three grandchildren who are now 18, 16 and 13. I have been here for almost 12 years. I need my children and grandchildren around me.

I think I have made my decision the right way. I will retire early at 62 and leave. Although I can't get my UK pension for four and a half years after that I will have income and can get temp work if needs be. Over the next five years is getting our credit rating strong and our underwater house ready to rent out if that is the best way to go. I also need to save up to take my animals with me.

I can't wait to go home. England, for me, truly is the greatest country in the world.

Over the last few days I have been overeating, I think it is a reaction to all of this, this morning I am going out to brunch with a friend.

I feel at peace.

Replies

• carimiller7391
    carimiller7391 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Hi Julie,
    I am so happy you are at peace!! I can understand missing the family unit as when I lived in Buffalo, NY, I had my adopted family that took me under their wings up there, but no real family or friends. I hope the next five years for you go quickly so you may see and spend time with your family again.

Wishing you only the best!!

Cari from DE
  • Macrelmar
    Macrelmar Posts: 49
    Hi Julie, the decision you made causes me to feel love & joy in my heart. Home is where the heart is, for me, being around my children, grandchildren is where my heart I will always be. I'm happy for you!
  • catladyksa
    catladyksa Posts: 1,269 Member
    Julie....I can TOTALLY relate to your feelings. I have worked in the middle east for 31 years.....it is time for me to go 'home' to the USA. I hope to make it in a year or two. My parents are there and my sibblings and their kids. I also have to save and take a bunch of furballs home with me too....but they are family and where I go.... they go! They are already international travelers.....picked up a couple in Dubai when I worked there and still have a few I flew over to Dubai from Saudi in 2009 and back to Saudi again when I returned several years ago!! I am NOT looking forward to taking them such a long distance in a plane when I do leave, but we shall all survive!! I think you came to a great decision and just move forward with your plans. You need to be with 'your' family and it is now your turn to do so!!!
  • PatrickB_87
    PatrickB_87 Posts: 738 Member
    Congratulations Jule,

You will return a transformed person. Here's to 2019 and your voyage home! :drinker:
  • artelyn
    artelyn Posts: 175 Member
    Congrats on your decision and what a decision it is!! So happy for you. And your grandchildren!!

Hugs.

Diana
  • scubasuenc
    scubasuenc Posts: 626 Member
    Julie - truly a great decision and you will be at peace the next 5 years knowing you are working towards that goal.
  • KaelaLee88
    KaelaLee88 Posts: 229 Member
    Yay!

Good luck on your journey back to the UK :D

Kaela x
  • mikesgirl4evr
    mikesgirl4evr Posts: 363 Member
    Congrats on your decision Julie. Family is so important. I don't know what I would do if I lived so far from mine. Hope the next 5 years fly by for you.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,103 Member
    So proud of you for making this decision! It can't have been easy. You are so very blessed to have such a supportive spouse, as well. What I can't wait to see is how much more your physical transformation mirrors your mental one as you prepare to go home!

Hugs to you and yours!
    Carly
  • blondageh
    blondageh Posts: 923 Member
    Wonderful news! I only wish you could get home sooner!