Week 6 Challenge

Options
strawmama
strawmama Posts: 623 Member
I wanna know 15 things about y'all. 15 things that are positive statements, and are NOT weight loss related.

Annnnd go!

Replies

• crepes_
    crepes_ Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Wow. This one is so important! I hope a lot of people participate, even if it's hard to come up with 15 things. Everyone has at least 15 positive things to share about themselves, and they should be able to read it back to themselves and feel good and accomplished. You have to do one too, strawmama!

1. I genuinely care about others and seek to help them as much as possible no matter how much or how little I know them.
    2. I have a Masters in Social Justice and one in progress for Healthcare Administration that I've been using to help my patients on a daily basis, and I worked pretty damn hard for that.
    3. I'm a great dancer! I love salsa, samba, cumbia... pretty much all the Latin dances.
    4. I'm great in the kitchen! I can whip up 4 different dinners at once for people with all sorts of dietary restrictions and each one will be delicious. My family loves when I take charge of Thanksgiving dinner because they know it means the turkey will be amazing, and everyone with dietary restrictions will have multiple sides to choose from. I even label the dishes with colored stickers indicating what contains a specific allergen or food item, so no one has to feel worried.
    5. I have really good pitch when singing.
    6. I can play the piano quite well.
    7. I used to swim competitively and still retain great form and endurance.
    8. I can write fairly well. I haven't been practicing my creative writing much at all, but my technical writing has been praised time and time again at work. I'm good at taking complex ideas and using them to develop easy-to-understand policies, letters, and educational materials for patients or staff. For grad school, I'd pump out 60 page papers like it was no big deal.
    9. I can speak in front of large crowds and display full confidence. When it comes time for the Q&A usually, it's even better. I have absolutely no problem with public speaking as long as I know what I'm talking about. It's my time to shine!
    10. I have a special skill in making angry people not so angry anymore, and comforting those that are sad. People really open up to me, and I can help them through their rough times. This is actually in my job description, and I've gotten more compliments, praises, gifts and hugs than I can even count.
    11. I trained myself how to speed read when I was 10. This seriously helped out in college.
    12. My hair is naturally red, and I love the color. In the sun, it looks more vivid.
    13. I made Employee of the Month during the first month that I was elligible! In an organization with 3000+ employees, that made me feel pretty darn special.
    14. I like the natural shape of my eyebrows - I don't have to tweeze them. This may seem silly, but eyebrows are definitely the first thing I notice about a person if they catch my attention.
    15. I'm very nurturing and love taking care of people. I do my mother's manicure, I take my mother and grandmother to exercise, I make my father's weekly breakfasts and lunches so they align with his diet, etc. I take time out of my day to make sure that the people I love are taking the right steps in feeling good, and feeling good about themselves.

Just an FYI, this took me 3 hours. That was so hard! But now I feel so nice about being me. :flowerforyou:
  • strawmama
    Options
    Wow. This one is so important! I hope a lot of people participate, even if it's hard to come up with 15 things. Everyone has at least 15 positive things to share about themselves, and they should be able to read it back to themselves and feel good and accomplished. You have to do one too, strawmama!

1. I genuinely care about others and seek to help them as much as possible no matter how much or how little I know them.
    2. I have a Masters in Social Justice and one in progress for Healthcare Administration that I've been using to help my patients on a daily basis, and I worked pretty damn hard for that.
    3. I'm a great dancer! I love salsa, samba, cumbia... pretty much all the Latin dances.
    4. I'm great in the kitchen! I can whip up 4 different dinners at once for people with all sorts of dietary restrictions and each one will be delicious. My family loves when I take charge of Thanksgiving dinner because they know it means the turkey will be amazing, and everyone with dietary restrictions will have multiple sides to choose from. I even label the dishes with colored stickers indicating what contains a specific allergen or food item, so no one has to feel worried.
    5. I have really good pitch when singing.
    6. I can play the piano quite well.
    7. I used to swim competitively and still retain great form and endurance.
    8. I can write fairly well. I haven't been practicing my creative writing much at all, but my technical writing has been praised time and time again at work. I'm good at taking complex ideas and using them to develop easy-to-understand policies, letters, and educational materials for patients or staff. For grad school, I'd pump out 60 page papers like it was no big deal.
    9. I can speak in front of large crowds and display full confidence. When it comes time for the Q&A usually, it's even better. I have absolutely no problem with public speaking as long as I know what I'm talking about. It's my time to shine!
    10. I have a special skill in making angry people not so angry anymore, and comforting those that are sad. People really open up to me, and I can help them through their rough times. This is actually in my job description, and I've gotten more compliments, praises, gifts and hugs than I can even count.
    11. I trained myself how to speed read when I was 10. This seriously helped out in college.
    12. My hair is naturally red, and I love the color. In the sun, it looks more vivid.
    13. I made Employee of the Month during the first month that I was elligible! In an organization with 3000+ employees, that made me feel pretty darn special.
    14. I like the natural shape of my eyebrows - I don't have to tweeze them. This may seem silly, but eyebrows are definitely the first thing I notice about a person if they catch my attention.
    15. I'm very nurturing and love taking care of people. I do my mother's manicure, I take my mother and grandmother to exercise, I make my father's weekly breakfasts and lunches so they align with his diet, etc. I take time out of my day to make sure that the people I love are taking the right steps in feeling good, and feeling good about themselves.

Just an FYI, this took me 3 hours. That was so hard! But now I feel so nice about being me. :flowerforyou:

This is great!

I am working on mine. This really hit me this week when a good friend of mine took his life. I still can't wrap my head around why/how he didn't know how wonderful he was and how many lives he touched.
  • crepes_
    Options
    This is great!

I am working on mine. This really hit me this week when a good friend of mine took his life. I still can't wrap my head around why/how he didn't know how wonderful he was and how many lives he touched.

That's one of those things that many of us will never understand. Depression is a fickle beast, and widely taboo and therefore pushed aside and ignored. Unless we've gone through the same things, we'll never understand. But the important thing here is that he touched your life in the first place. You'll always have those memories of him, and I'm sure that's how he'd want to be remembered. The positivity that he brought to life won't be forgotten, and that's more important than anything. Try and stay strong, and let me know if you need to talk to anyone. I'm always here!
  • strawmama
    Options
    1. I am a good listener. I am good at being there for people, and even though I usually don't have the words, I do my very best to help.

2. I can cook. Almost anything. I'm really good at coming up with something out of nothing, or as my husband calls it, "kitchen sink cooking".

3. I am an awesome navigator. I can give really good directions, and usually find my way anywhere, with minimal help.

4. I love to read. I can read through a book a day...while it's a healthy habit, it can get expensive!

5. I am a fast thinker and really resourceful. I can figure out how to fix something on my own most of the time.

6. I can sing, and well. I don't like being the center of attention so I don't do it often.

7. I may only be a waitress, but I'm good at what I do. My "people" know who I am and usually want me at their table rather than some of the other waitresses.

8. I love animals. A lot. We have 5 dogs, 7 chickens, and a cat. I see adoptable pups all the time and the hubs says, "NO!".

9. I have excellent grammar. I can't stand it when people get it wrong, lol!

10. I will bend over backwards to help people.

11. I have a decent sense of humor and can make people laugh.

12. I'm easily amused. I sometimes laugh at myself. Like now.

13. I have a very good memory...people always ask me to remember stuff for them.

14. I'm shy. I think of this as a good thing because some of my not-so-shy friends are really overbearing.

15. I have good taste in clothing, shoes, and what not. I may not always show it (comfort is WAY better than style) but I can usually throw something together pretty quickly and make it look good.

Wow, that was actually harder than I thought. I started this list yesterday morning and just now finished it.
  • crepes_
    Options
    2. I can cook. Almost anything. I'm really good at coming up with something out of nothing, or as my husband calls it, "kitchen sink cooking".

3. I am an awesome navigator. I can give really good directions, and usually find my way anywhere, with minimal help.

7. I may only be a waitress, but I'm good at what I do. My "people" know who I am and usually want me at their table rather than some of the other waitresses.

8. I love animals. A lot. We have 5 dogs, 7 chickens, and a cat. I see adoptable pups all the time and the hubs says, "NO!".

That's the best kind of cooking! It means that not only can you cook well, but that you understand flavor profiles and pairing better than those people that need recipes to get them going. As for the navigation, I dont know how you do it. That's a great skill to have. I get lost about a block away from my house :P.

There's no such thing as "only" a waitress. You do what you do, and you do it well. You're representing the place where you're working and probably bring the people back more than the food does. I sure as heck chose my places based on the staff and always ask for them. You have to be pretty damn good for people to ask for you, so be proud.

I love your animal family!!