Political Correctness

Options
TheRoadDog
TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
British actor Gary Oldman is bound to get people talking with his controversial new interview with Playboy magazine for their July/August double issue, in which he defends Mel Gibson and Alec Baldwin for their much-publicized racist and homophobic rants.

"I think political correctness is crap," Oldman, 56, tells the magazine (via the Daily Mail) bluntly. "I think it's like, take a f
joke. Get over it."

Talking specifically about Gibson, who made anti-Jewish slurs when he was arrested in Malibu in 2006, Oldman says that, "we've all said those things."

"I don't know about Mel. He got drunk and said a few things, but we've all said those things. We're all f
hypocrites. That's what I think about it," he says. "The policeman who arrested him has never used the word n
or that f
Jew? I'm being brutally honest here. It's the hypocrisy of it that drives me crazy."

A clearly passionate Oldman also claims that certain comedians can get away with insults, while others can't.

"Well, if I called (Minority Leader of the United States House of Representatives) Nancy Pelosi a c--- -- and I'll go one better, a f
useless c--- -- I can't really say that. But Bill Maher and Jon Stewart can, and nobody's going to stop them from working because of it."

Although Oldman insists he himself doesn't hold any of those views.

"At the Oscars, if you didn't vote for '12 Years a Slave' you were a racist. You have to be very careful about what you say. I do have particular views and opinions that most of this town doesn't share, but it's not like I'm a fascist or a racist. There's nothing like that in my history."

Replies

• Italian_Buju
    Italian_Buju Posts: 8,030 Member
    Options
    I think he is a full of s*&% *kitten*

I have never said or thought those things, and if he did, he is no better than Gibson!
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    I think Gibson is probably a racist, but I do agree with Oldman about the double standard. As a Caucasian male, use of the N word makes me a racist. If it's so offensive. why is it so prevalent in the African American community?

Personally, I've had enough. I know what kind of person I am. Those who know me, know what kind of person I am.

Luckily, I'm not a celebrity, so people aren't following me around scrutinizing everything I say.

I understand completely the frustration that people like Baldwin must feel. I think he is just fed up and, rightly so, no longer gives a shlt what everyone else thinks.

I agree there is racism in the world, but if someone says something out of line, they are tagged. Sometimes it is just a joke or a drunken rant or pushing back at the papparazzi.

Having said all that, I know some will analyze this and label me. I don't give a shlt.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    I just hate all other people equally...
  • 5stringjeff
    5stringjeff Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Oldman doesn't have to worry - no one reads Playboy for the articles.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    I think Gibson is probably a racist, but I do agree with Oldman about the double standard. As a Caucasseriouslyian male, use of the N word makes me a racist. If it's so offensive. why is it so prevalent in the African American community?

Personally, I've had enough. I know what kind of person I am. Those who know me, know what kind of person I am.

Luckily, I'm not a celebrity, so people aren't following me around scrutinizing everything I say.

I understand completely the frustration that people like Baldwin must feel. I think he is just fed up and, rightly so, no longer gives a shlt what everyone else thinks.

I agree there is racism in the world, but if someone says something out of line, they are tagged. Sometimes it is just a joke or a drunken rant or pushing back at the papparazzi.

Having said all that, I know some will analyze this and label me. I don't give a shlt.

I agree with you. Too many "delicate" people around these days. Seriously, everyone needs to lighten up. Im sick of all the "victims" if someone calls you a name who cares? Whatever happened to "sticks and stones"? It's like a big freeking daycare full of 2 year olds whining to mommy.

Call me whatever you want, not like I give a rat's *kitten*.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options

Call me whatever you want, not like I give a rat's *kitten*.

what a cunt....(for science)
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    I couldn't give a fishs fart about PC either.

This is why we mock those who post the "people are so mean" threads because those threads are PC at it's finest.
  • Gilbrod
    Gilbrod Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I think we're the only country who really gives a *kitten* about being PC. I hear and read about all these other countries telling people how they really feel (I'm looking at you Russia and France). When did we start caring?
  • Staci387
    Staci387 Posts: 5 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I'm glad to see society finally taking a stance for traditionally marginalized groups. Historically hardly anyone stood up for minority groups & finally society is becoming a bit more enlightened. It's nice to see society say "no more" to the hate speech & name calling that has traditionally been leveled against minorities. By condemning those who use hateful speech in the public arena, people are becoming more thoughtful of what they say in their day to day conversations as well. Over time, this will help slow the spread & perpetuation of bigotry & hate.

For those who say "lighten up" or "quit whining" about people using racial/ethnic/sex/sexual orientation/etc. slurs against others, asserting that political correctness is bothersome or annoying to deal with: consider how bothersome or annoying it is to be constantly berated with hate speech. What is more bothersome? You being expected to keep your hatred to yourself? Or the targets of the hatred being berated constantly? I suppose they should just "grow a thicker skin," right?

I invite anyone who believes political correctness is a bothersome institution to take a look at movies, cartoons, news programs, or basically any media from the 1950s or earlier, before the days of PC; what kind of language was used towards minorities? Is it better that we go back to that so you don't have to deal with the annoyance of being PC?