What the deal with yogurt???

mrscarter_88
mrscarter_88 Posts: 2 Member
Please advise! I am pretty new to healthy eating and I have to say I am so confused about whether or not yogurt is something I should be eating. I've seen articles that say its good and some that say it should be avoided. There is a lot in the news now about Greek yogurt and how it can contain more sugar than some ice creams! I use Greek yogurt in my smoothies sometimes and as a substitute for things like mayo. I've given up soda, candy and junk and I don't want to ruin or waste my efforts with something i think is health food but really isn't....SO should yogurt just be avoided if i'm trying to lose weight or is there a certain kind i should be eating vs another? please help! There are so many foods I thought were healthy based on packaging that just aren't... its a bit frustrating.

Replies

• verdemujer
    verdemujer Posts: 1,397 Member
    Ok - yogurt is made from Milk - milk has a huge amount of carbs (if you are looking at carbs) - sugar is carbs - Milk is full of sugar - natural, non-added sugar. So - yogurt - even plain is going to register a higher amount of sugar any way. What most of the problem is that many people buy all the flavored stuff which is mostly fruit of some type - more sugar. Again - if truely fruit based - a naturally occuring sugar. It depends on what your comfort level is with 'sugar'. You also need to do some research and figure out where it fits in your nutrition goals for you.
  • This was also my biggest confusion when I started out clean eating. I was always going over on my sugars every day and I couldn't figure out why. Yogurt was one of the major culprits.

I switched to plain Greek Yogurt. It took a little getting used to but I found with a little honey and fresh fruit you get a really great snack, with a lot less sugar. It also makes a great substitution for sour cream and mayonnaise. I also read a lot of "low fat" foods and how they aren't as good for you as you would think. Good luck :)

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/howto/guide/truth-about-low-fat-foods
  • rebeccaisafish
    rebeccaisafish Posts: 87 Member
    All you need to do is look at the labels. Yes there are yoghurts out there that are full of sugar, but there are ones that are low sugar as well. I get greek yoghurt that has only 5 grams of sugar per 100 grams. When you take into account that 4.7 grams per 100 are lactose, you aren't going to get any better with a dairy product.

Having said that there are plenty of greek yoghurts that a full of added sugar too.