Introduce yourself!

Options
I've already told you a bit about myself. I'm 47 years old. A single mom of two. My son is 27 and my daughter just graduated high school and is off to MSU this fall. I've been on disability (per my doctors and surgeon's orders) since 2010. For the first couple of years that I wasn't working, I still had some days where the pain wasn't so severe that I could still go out from time to time so I was still getting weekly exercise by dancing whenever I could. For the past two years, I've been pretty much home-bound due to the pain. And also over these past two years, I've gained way too much weight. I need to lose at least 25 pounds.

I've tried diet after diet and they just don't work for me. I find it very hard to find and stick to a particular diet. The food of choice in our house is anything Pasta or Potatoes. And my biggest downfall are Coke Icees from Speedway. And I'm not just talking about the small ones either!! :tongue: Give me a 44 oz Coke Icee at least once a day and I'll be happy (two if it's really hot outside!!)

My daughter's Open House is Saturday, July 12th and I would really like to buy a new cute little dress for it and if I can't afford to do that, then I would at least like to slip on my size 7 jeans with a cute little top. I've only got 15 days left to get there.

I really do enjoy the Green Smoothies though. I never thought that I would EVER be eating at much raw spinach and other greens as what I am now eating and loving it! I figure that it's because I enjoyed my icees so much and I make my smoothies really thick with some ice crunch to them so I think that it tricks my brain into thinking that it isn't missing out on anything.

During my first 10 day round on the cleanse, I lost 8 pounds. I admit that I have gained a few of them back over this past week or so. I've had day after day of bad news hitting me and found myself going back to my old ways. So, today is the start of Round 2. This time, I think that I'm going to go a bit higher with the greens and cut back a bit on the fruit so that maybe I can lose just a bit more by not having the extra fruit in them. I guess we'll see after I make my first batch up this morning!

I'm really looking forward to meeting some awesome people in this group and the others that I have joined. It's always nice to have someone to answer to and others that you have to check in with and be accountable to! I look forward to meeting you! ~Tami

Replies

• tlrunyon
    tlrunyon Posts: 127
    Options
    I too, am 47 years old. I woke up to find myself at my all time high weight of 138lbs. and I feel absolutely miserable. Not just in my clothes but when I try to do anything. I've noticed my fast walking pace has slowed to a 'mozey'. This past Monday I decided to get serious and lose this weight. I've done this all my life, but it seems harder to lose these days. Age maybe? Or just over eating and not doing anything? I've decided I'm really good at making excuses!:wink:

Cutting back calories is hard though and I find myself thinking about food all the time....especially after lunch for some reason and in the evenings, I always want that snack around 8:00pm! :drinker: And then, the weekend is upon me......:noway:

I definitely want to try this Green Smoothie Diet. I bought a healthy smoothie last weekend made of spinach, kale, mango, pineapple, ice and it was awesome. It was on the large size however, I was full for hours!!!! How do you like the smoothies from this diet/book?

Nice to meet you and I'll be looking forward to hearing from you and listening to your progress!!!!!:happy:
  • tdunich
    tdunich Posts: 3
    Options
    Nice to meet you!!! You didn't leave your first name, what should I call you? :smile: You look like such a petite little thing! How much weight are you wanting to lose?

Don't you just hate that when you put your clothes on and you can actually get them on but you just feel so terrible in them? I absolutely hate that feeling. And on top of feeling miserable, it actually puts me in a really bad mood! My kids both know when I'm feeling 'bloated' in the morning because I typically wake them up by singing when I'm in the kitchen making my first smoothie or just picking up in the A.M. (Yeah --- no, I'm not that happy of a person -- I just like to sing when my clothes actually fit! :laugh: What can I say? It just makes me happy and sets my mood for the entire day.)

It definitely has to be the age that we are at. I have never had this much trouble losing or keeping weight off before. But then, I don't get any type of exercise at all during the day. Do you work outside of the home? I own my own business but since we moved back in January, I haven't been able to do too much. I'm hoping to get it started back going again by the end of the summer. It still isn't any exercise because I can't be on my feet for longer than 15-20 minutes but it at least keeps me from being bored and wanting to eat all the time!

So, the smoothie you had with the spinach? It was good, wasn't it? I didn't think that I would care for them when I first read about the cleanse/diet but I can honestly say that I'm a big 'greens' person now. I really do like them. (enough to say 'no' to an icee when one of my kids go up and get one! :happy: ) And after you have been drinking them for a couple days, you'll notice a huge difference in how you feel energy wise too - at least I did. You'll probably get a little bit of your pep back in your step again! And the weight comes off pretty easy as well as keeping you full throughout the day, like you said it did for you.

I purchased JJ Smith's "10-Day Green Smoothie Cleanse" through Amazon for my kindle (yeah, I'm also an instant gratification type of person...) She has recipes for each of the 10 days in it followed by a bunch more recipes in the back of the book. But it was nice because she even put a shopping list in there for you so all you had to do was buy what she told you to and then follow the recipes each day. She really made it so that you can't fail if you just do as she says.

If you would like, I can send you the recipes for the first couple of days so you can see what you think about them. If you like them, I would definitely recommend buying the book (I think I only paid about $10.00 for it) because it has A LOT of great information in it. Just let me know and I'll send you the first couple recipes.

I cut the recipes in half, making the first half in the morning and then the other half when I'm making dinner for my kids. I stay pretty full during the afternoon. You can make the entire recipe up and just put it in the refrigerator but I like mine fresh when they are thick and icy.

She has also written a book about the issues with women's hormones and how to help fix some of them but I'm in the middle of trying to plan my daughter's Open House and just haven't had the extra money to buy it yet.

Again, it was nice meeting you! Thanks for joining the group! I need all the encouragement I can get right now and am all for providing it as well. Plus, I really do think that it helps when you can share the ups and downs when trying to lose weight plus any tips.

Talk to you later! ~Tami
  • tam_a_ram_a
    tam_a_ram_a Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Hey Everyone,

My name is Tammy. I'm a mother of 4, Zumba instructor and am currently studying for my AFAA group fitness certification. I took the summer off from Zumba and gained a few pounds. My mid section was bloated and I had this horrible heaviness. I friended a fellow Zumba instructor on Facebook and she is all about the Green Smoothie Life. I saw her incredible transformation and decided I'd give it a try.

OMG, I love this cleanse! I'm doing the modified version and just started Day 7 this morning. The first three days were torture, but the heaviness I was feeling in my abdominal area is gone, the bloating is gone, I'm not having any cravings and I feel INCREDIBLE!!! I sat next to a large pepperoni pizza the other day and didn't even want a taste! Last night I had grilled tuna and sautéed kale while the rest of my family ate BBQ ribs. BBQ ribs are one of my favorites, and I had ZERO interest in it!!! My husband's doctor told him that I need to take charge of his eating habits, so guess who's drinking green smoothies for breakfast :)