Newbie distance runner - Which pacer group to choose?

Options
moxiept
moxiept Posts: 200 Member
Hello all,

I will be running my 1st half marathon next month. My long run training has been around 11:10 consistently. The race I am participating in offers pacers. One pacing group is for a 11:27 pace and another is at 10:18. I am trying to decide which group would be the best to run with. I have been reading that your long runs should be 30-60 sec. slower than your race pace which would put me in the 10:18 group. I have also read that you should not start out running too fast because you will lose energy and endurance towards the end of the race. I am not trying to "competitively race" as this is my first long distance event. However, I do want to run a good race where I feel like I have done my best based on my training. Any advice?

Replies

• btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    I can't answer the question, but I think how long your current long runs are, how much running you're doing per week, would make quite a difference. If you're doing 11:10 consistently with average 8 mile long run and 20 mpw versus average 15 mile long run and 40 mpw, I would guess would lead to different advice.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Run with the slower pace group and see how you're feeling halfway through. It's mentally easier to move up a group if you have gas in the tank, but it's demoralizing to be overtaken by the group you should have started with (been there, done that). It's your first, you're going to PR either way so concentrate on finishing (unless this is the last HM you're ever going to do). You have forever to tweak your pacing strategy, so don't burden yourself with expectations.

How far are your 11:10-paced LSD runs? How did you feel after?
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I agree with Doug, start with the slower pace group. At around the 7 mile mark if you are feeling good go ahead and speed up on your own just don't go crazy until you are past the 10 mile mark. Easiest thing to do is find someone that looks comfortable running the pace you want to go and follow them.
  • moxiept
    moxiept Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Thanks all, these look like some good strategies. After this race my main goal is to build up my mileage per week, and add one day of hill work. I have signed up for another half in December in which I will work increasing my performance.

@SonicDeathMon: The most I have run is 11 miles at the 11:10 pace. I was a little achy the next day, but not sore or hurting.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I just did my first half on Saturday. I lined up with the pace group that was on the fast end of my training runs. I did not anticipate being able to keep up with them the entire race, but figured if I had a great day I could be close. I was also afraid of starting out too fast with the adrenaline of the race, so staying behind him was an easy way to make sure I didn't do that.

The pacer took off like a bat out of hell. I was not even close to keeping up with him, and when I checked my Garmin I was running a 1:35 min/mile pace faster than we should have been going, so I dropped back and almost immediately lost sight of him. This was a quarter mile into the race. So much for using him to make sure I didn't start out too fast.

I passed him at 2.6 miles so he must have slowed down once he realized how far ahead he was. His group overtook me again at 6 miles as I stood in line forever for a porta-potty (lesson learned: should have used it twice before I started instead of just once). I passed them again in the 8th mile, as I heard him telling his group they had to slow down because they were going too fast, and never saw him again.

What I learned was to trust my training because I needed to adjust on the spot when my pacer seriously let me down. My slowest mile was my 2nd and my fastest was my 13th, so at the end of the day I ran the race that I wanted to run, and exceeded my own expectations in where I thought I could finish. Plus dang it was a lot of fun.

Good luck! And don't forget to enjoy the moment.
  • vmclach
    vmclach Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Go with 11:27 group the first 4 miles then break away if you feel good
  • _Josee_
    _Josee_ Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I'll say like everyone... Start with the slower group then evaluate how you feel halfway through.
    I would also talk a bit with the pacer before the race start to see what his strategy is. Some will start faster and slow down later on. Some will do the opposite. Some will hold an even pace. Remember that this is a human being trying to pace you; not a robot.... So don't put all your faith on him. Trust your training and your instinct!

Good luck! And we would love a race recap when you are done :)
  • schmenge55
    schmenge55 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    Agree with everybody else. What I will add in is the first 6 miles or so should feel pretty easy. What happens is people go "Wow, this is easy, I am going to slow" and they speed up. And by mile 10 they are dragging. So keep it controlled through 7, if still feeling really good give it more gas. Once you hit 10 start putting the pedal down :)

One more thing. In the last few miles if you are tired then do this: Make sure you are "running tall" (somebody is pulling you up by your hair) and shorten your stride. We tend to slouch and take a long stride when tired both of which are harder to do! Have fun
  • saskie78
    saskie78 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Hm. I'll be the odd lady out and suggest the opposite. For my first full marathon, I was training with others and we were running on flat ground (the marathon was hilly) at a pace everyone felt comfy with (around 11, I think, with what felt like 8 million stops for bathrooms and fuel and all that.). So, when race day came, I was between two pace groups. Something over 11 min miles and one at I think 10:18. The pacer crew at the expo suggested I do the 10:18 pace group (race day adrenaline, rested legs, etc.). I did and it felt hard but I was happy I did.

I dunno. It's just one experience based on nothing more than that! If you do, though, I guess I'd be prepared to drop back and do your own thing if need be. Race day weather and other things will matter if you are going to push.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Do you feel like you need to have a pacer? That's quite a gap between pace groups. Most races tend to have pacers for every 15-30 second intervals. If you are running your training runs at 11:10, I think the 11:27 will be too slow, but you might find it tough to keep up with the faster group. I like to start behind the pace group I most expect to finish with and play catch up. This usually end up giving me negative splits and a solid race.
  • legallyblonde916
    legallyblonde916 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Run with the slower pace group and see how you're feeling halfway through. It's mentally easier to move up a group if you have gas in the tank, but it's demoralizing to be overtaken by the group you should have started with (been there, done that). It's your first, you're going to PR either way so concentrate on finishing (unless this is the last HM you're ever going to do).

This x100.

Focus on finishing the first race of a particular distance feeling good. I'd stick with the 11:10's.