Breathing

Options
la_nanita
la_nanita Posts: 410 Member
Hi guys... so I love runDisney and am signed up to do the Mickey Jingle Jungle in November. I have done several Disney races but never REALLY trained. I am changing that now, I am currently doing C25K for this race and plan on doing C10K afterwards and plan on running the 10K in Feb. My goal is to be able to complete the Wine and Dine half next year.

One thing that I am finding difficult is breathing!! I know that I am out of shape but sometime I feel like I cant catch my breath while running. What tips would you guys give so that I learn to breath properly while running from the get go. thanks

Replies

• Justkeepswimmin
    Justkeepswimmin Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    First, make sure you don't have anything inhibiting your breathing like asthma (have you spoken to a doctor?) Personally I run fairly respectably/average in Phoenix, but throw me in humidity and I'm a gonner.

Second, this is a fairly thorough article about the issue http://www.runnersworld.com/running-tips/running-air-breathing-technique?page=single

Third, you are planning way in advance which is great because it leaves wiggle room for "life happens" and I'm sure you'll do great.

Fourth, I want to do the Wine and Dine next year too!!!!!

Fifth, I did not do C25K but I did start running with intervals like 1 min on 30 seconds off etc. and build up. I still run intervals on training runs of 4 min on 30 seconds off or 6 min on 45 seconds off depending on how I feel that day, how long the run is etc.
  • boatsie77
    boatsie77 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    How was your breathing on the "several" other races you completed? Is this a new thing (being out of breath)? Is it seasonal (heat of summer vs cooler winters)?

My first suggestion is SLOW DOWN...you may be running too fast too soon. You need to build up your aerobic capacity and your muscles ability to use oxygen more efficiently.

Make sure you're not running hunched over--it interferes with your lung function. You may need to work on exercises to strengthen your back and core, especially important if you are planning on running long distances.

Practice "belly breathing" to fully exhale all the air in your lungs so you can get a full helping of air with the next breath--practice even when not running, it's good for your body.

Cycling through run/walk pacing throughout your run will give you some time to catch your breath as you work at building up your aerobic capacity.
  • la_nanita
    Options
    Thanks guys! This is nothing new to me. Always has happened when I run.

I will check out the article justkeepswimming. I hope you can do it, remember to register quickly because this year it sold out really fast!

boatsie77 I did notice today that I was a little hunched over, so I am going to start working on that too.
  • Justkeepswimmin
    Justkeepswimmin Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Ofc :) They're all selling out stupid fast lately :) Did 2X Tink (2013/2014) 1X Princess (2014) and signed up for 2014 Avengers. Going to do 2015 Tink, 2015 Wine & Dine then 2016 WDW Weekend (HOPEFULLY) may have to defer that to 2017. I'm getting pro at signing up for this crap :knocks on wood:

Let us know if the breathing goes better
  • la_nanita
    Options
    YES!!! It has become fashionable to do a Disney race. I guess its a good fad but really sucks when you don't have the money right away to shell out to register as soon as it opens up.