puncture prevention

Options
robmac13h
robmac13h Posts: 44 Member
i do 26 mile a day on tarmac cycle track on a hybrid with 700/38 tyres ,i have been getting lots of punctures and was thinking of puncture resistant tyres but was told they could be more rolling resistance and slow me down ,also thinking of tyre liners or maybe slime ,any one use any of these methods and what is the best option ,cycle track is mixture of tarmac /gravel and rutted track

Replies

• cyclist_44060
    cyclist_44060 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I don't think you will see any noticable rolling resistance moving to them. I switched to them on my road bike 700/25's and did not see a drop in speed at all. I would go for it!
  • kcjchang
    kcjchang Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Lighter wheels provides one primary advantage, faster acceleration. For most, it's a placebo effect. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicycle_performance on how the physics pans out.
  • Archon2
    Archon2 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    What kind of punctures? Thorns, glass, pinch flats, rim burrs or spoke related?
  • Spatialized
    Spatialized Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Had issues like that too, new tires solved most of that but I took it a step further and put 2oz of Stans in the tube before I mounted the tire. With a few exceptions, like really big pieces of debris that NOTHING could protect from, it reduced my from 3-5 flats.month to <1 (knock wood, hope I'm not jinxing myself here!)

Other thing would be to inspect the tire very carefully,. I had a run of three days where I flatted every day, after a very close inspection I found a small shard of glass that only touched the tube when inflated and was causing the flats. Pulled that out and was fine.
  • robmac13h
    Options
    punctures are always caused by glass as parts of cycle track is covered in broken glass
  • sufferlandrian
    sufferlandrian Posts: 8,236 Member
    Options
    I went to Gatorskins 700/25 and that stopped my flats from glass and sheet metal on the roads. I had to put a get/slime in the tire though for things like staples and nails. I didn't notice any difference in speed with one exception. I don't spend near as much time changing tubes so I cover more ground in less time. :wink: :wink:

Spatialized - You know you just pissed off the tire gods by saying that. I foresee several flats in the near future. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: So what is Stans? Is that like slime?
  • cyclist_44060
    cyclist_44060 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I totally agree! I use gators as well....

I went to Gatorskins 700/25 and that stopped my flats from glass and sheet metal on the roads. I had to put a get/slime in the tire though for things like staples and nails. I didn't notice any difference in speed with one exception. I don't spend near as much time changing tubes so I cover more ground in less time. :wink: :wink:

Spatialized - You know you just pissed off the tire gods by saying that. I foresee several flats in the near future. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: So what is Stans? Is that like slime?
  • sinker59
    sinker59 Posts: 130
    Options
    Gatorskins on my road bike and Stan's/tubeless on my mtn bike have all but eliminated puncture flats for me.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    punctures are always caused by glass as parts of cycle track is covered in broken glass

Why are you riding on a track that constantly has glass debris on it? Am I missing something?
  • robmac13h
    Options

Why are you riding on a track that constantly has glass debris on it? Am I missing something?

cycle track runs alongside a canal that passes through some not very nice areas ,these areas see a lot of drinking at night so there is always a lot of glass about ,you can dodge the big bits but there is always lots of very small bits that you can not see as there is gravel on the track at these parts, the only other way to work is along busy A roads
  • mstripes
    mstripes Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Since I started using Specialized Armadillos I've not had any puncture flats in 7+ thousand miles. I'm living dangerously now with a race tire that i bought on closeout this winter. When I wear them out I'll be going back to 'dillos.
  • sufferlandrian
    sufferlandrian Posts: 8,236 Member
    Options
    Hey, just a thought. Are you filling your tires to max pressure? If so, don't. If max pressure is 120 psi and you can ride them at 110 or 100 without loss of performance but it will help your tire to flex over things like glass better. I run my front at 100 and my rear at 110 unless it's raining and then I run 90 and 100.
  • mstripes
    mstripes Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I run mine at near max pressure. Lower pressure will create a lager contact patch with the ground and as such has a higher likely hood to pick up sharps. Tire pressure should be based on a riders weight and the best for speed or conditions. I've not had any more more cuts at full pressure than less pressure.
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,683 Member
    Options
    Anyone remember those old "flintcatchers" things we used to run back in the day of skinny steel frames and lightweight tubulars...

Every time I read a thread like this, I cant help but think that there must be a market for something like this again...

13602117724_a62e575b0a_o.jpg

think something in Stainless Steel / Titanium Wire, maybe with a Carbon Springing arrangement to keep the weight-weenies happy... Okay, it'd be a bit awkward with the whole "recessed brake bolts" of modern stuff maybe - but still, makes me think.
  • Archon2
    Archon2 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Never ever seen or heard of those before reading your post, Yin :)

The only things I remember that rubbed against my tire constantly was one of those "bottle" generators and the mechanical speedometer wheel I had on my setup as a kid.
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,683 Member
    Options
    they used to be pretty much "de rigeur" over in the UK, back in the 70's if you were running Tubulars for training on (and frankly, this was well before skinny fast clinchers in 700c, so that was pretty much all the clubmen...
  • kcjchang
    kcjchang Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Anyone remember those old "flintcatchers" things we used to run back in the day of skinny steel frames and lightweight tubulars...

Every time I read a thread like this, I cant help but think that there must be a market for something like this again...

13602117724_a62e575b0a_o.jpg

think something in Stainless Steel / Titanium Wire, maybe with a Carbon Springing arrangement to keep the weight-weenies happy... Okay, it'd be a bit awkward with the whole "recessed brake bolts" of modern stuff maybe - but still, makes me think.

Nice, bring back old memories when I first got into cycling. Used to get drop at the slightest incline by a old-timer who was into touring and had those. I used my gloves after running through a rough patch but that was the days of nylon bar tapes. Haven't wear gloves since I started using cork (and it's derivatives).
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I commuted, puncture free,for several years using Schwalbe Ultra Marathons, reputedly one of the most puncture resistant tires out there. I switched over to Gatorskins (lower coefficient of rolling resistance and and overall lighter tire) last year........so far so good and I've noticed improved performance (which may also just be a reflection of improved fitness).

I'm also verging on OC about keeping my tires at the correct pressure too.
  • Spatialized
    Spatialized Posts: 623 Member
    Options

I've paid many a sacrifice to the road gods...now I pay attention better! Stans is the sealant many use in tubeless tires to seal them. It basically turns the tube into a self-sealing tube. It's a lot like slime, just not green. :happy: