Worried....picky eater

Hildabean
Hildabean Posts: 71 Member
I am looking to have VSG in January 2015. I know its a way off but doing all the research I can. I am seeing all kinds of positive results and am looking forward to getting this weight down. My worry is I am a very picky eater. I don't like any fish except fish sticks and that's really not fish. I do like salads but no low fat dressings. I cant handle eggs. and the list goes on. Did your tastes change after surgery? I feel I put on some of this weight due to my picky eating. Can you eat pasta....I love pasta. I am really scared that I will go to old ways due to the picky eating. Any of you picky eater?

Thanks for your time

Replies

• Ksh1055
    Ksh1055 Posts: 248 Member
    I AM THE MOST PICKY EATER I KNOW--ABSOLUTELY--AND WITHOUT A DOUBT!!!! Grew up on meat, potatoes, gravy, homemade bread/rolls and pasta dishes. Can't stand and won't eat veggies. Only like American and Italian foods. Loved chips, crunchy snacks, etc., along with most things chocolate, ice cream, bar cheese,--basically high fat/carb foods with little protein or nutritional value.

What I have found is that there are a lot of things that are high in protein that I do love and never thought about. Also, my team gave me plenty of written information on do's/don'ts and food suggestions for each stage after surgery. I referred to this information often and still do once in a while. Fortunately for me I love most meats, dairy and fruit including: chicken, tuna fish, cottage cheese, yogurt (Greek), string cheese, etc. I also found a protein shake powder that is reasonably priced that has 30g protein per shake and protein bars (of course I couldn't have the bars right away). I am 4 1/2 months out and began getting back to "real food" about 2 months ago. I have had popcorn (favorite snack), a few tortilla chips, small amounts of pasta and pizza once in a while, absolutely nothing deep fried (tried once/was sick all night). There are a lot of 100 calorie packs of snack items available now, both salty and sweet.

You really learn to read and understand food labels and how to make the best choices. You'll become very good at this. Although you can overeat and stretch our your stomach, most of the time you'll either feel really bloated or get sick. Getting sick is worse than it was pre-surgery and you'll do anything you can to avoid doing it. I learned this lesson fast. The bottom line is this surgery is NOT reversible and you have to be committed to following your surgical/nutritionist's instructions to the very best of your ability. I basically eat whatever I want, but I focus on getting my protein in, and since your stomach is so much smaller you really can't overload it without consequences.

I didn't like skim/non-fat milk, but I've become used to it. The same goes for a few other food items. After much research and thought I knew I was ready to commit to a total lifestyle change in my eating and exercising habits. Wasn't big on exercise before, now do something at least 5-6 days a week or I feel guilty. The surgery is a tool to really get you losing the weight, but you have to follow food recommendations and have to exercise in order to be a success story. I'm not there yet, but I will be.
  • bikrchk
    bikrchk Posts: 516 Member
    I was not picky before surgery. That's what got me in the predicament in the first place! Today, I am picky because I know I'm not going to get very much food so I try and make it count. The first thing it needs to count for is protein. Fish and eggs are high in protein so I favor them. Pasta is not so I tend to avoid it. It's not that I can't have it or don't tolerate it well... At 9 months out, I haven't found a food I do not tolerate at least in small portions, but there are foods that move me towards my goals and foods that don't. I eat pretty much what I like in moderation, (eg. chocolate when I want), but do not load up on the foods that don't move me towards my protein goals because there is no room for them in my tummy. You don't have to eat any one high protein food, but you must commit to the protein\vitamin requirements for the rest of your life.

So, do you have to give up all your favorites? Most people don't give up all their old favorites forever. Some do. Some choose to reject all "trigger foods", typically the high carb ones) and never go back. Some don't tolerate sugar, bread, fruit skins, rice or other foods even long term after surgery. Make no mistake, if you intend to succeed in this it will turn your current lifestyle on its head. You can't do what you've always done and expect different results after surgery.

My medical team recommends 75g of protein per day for females. I was never told to count calories, only protein, but based on my logging I get 1000-1200 calories per day in my loss phase, (almost at goal now so trying to slow this train down with a few more calories). I work out 5x per week now. Hard. Exercise was not a part of my life before. Pizza or pasta every night, too much wine and junk food was where I lived. For me, the trade off has been soooooo worth it! No more meds, I can breathe again and I have the energy to do what I like to do! The size 4 jeans I bought this weekend don't suck either!

I am a different person with a healthy lifestyle now. So do you have to give up all that you love forever? Probably not, but you'd better be ready to commit to a major lifestyle overhaul which includes eating what your body needs to stay healthy. I don't drink my protein shakes because I think they taste like Sheridans and I'd rather have the Starbucks Lemon loaf instead of my egg in the morning. I do it because it's what I signed up for when I let them remove 85% of my stomach and its part of my prescription to maintain good health.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    I wasn't picky before surgery and I am not picky now. Most foods I eat now don't bother me at all. I am still sticking to the plan given to me by my surgeon VERY closely. That's my choice, because like bikrchk, I know what I signed up for. I made sure to shake any type of thinking that would make me wonder if I could eat the way I used to. The answer in my case is no. If I could eat the way I used to and maintain good health, I wouldn't have chosen surgery. Your tastes will likely change and you might end up liking things you never thought you would like. You might not even like pasta later! It's really important to have an open mind going into this. You get to start with a clean slate after surgery and there will be a lot of trial and error, but you will find things you like - you can totally do it!!!
  • katematt313
    katematt313 Posts: 624 Member
    I wasn't picky before surgery and I am not picky now. Most foods I eat now don't bother me at all. I am still sticking to the plan given to me by my surgeon VERY closely. That's my choice, because like bikrchk, I know what I signed up for. I made sure to shake any type of thinking that would make me wonder if I could eat the way I used to. The answer in my case is no. If I could eat the way I used to and maintain good health, I wouldn't have chosen surgery. Your tastes will likely change and you might end up liking things you never thought you would like. You might not even like pasta later! It's really important to have an open mind going into this. You get to start with a clean slate after surgery and there will be a lot of trial and error, but you will find things you like - you can totally do it!!!

Totally agree with this.
    I also feel the same way - knew what I signed up for and that's why I'm sticking to the diet.
  • DJRonnieLINY
    DJRonnieLINY Posts: 475 Member
    For the most part Pasta, Bread, Rice are not a part of your post WLS diet. I can count on one hand the amount of days I have had a serving (4oz) of a pasta dish since my WLS last September. Pasta was a staple of my pre WLS diet and tastewise is still one of my favorite things to eat but it just does not make sense. In order to be successful we need to choose protein first followed by vegtables and fruits. Carbs are last in line and with a significant capacity restriction there really is no room for them.
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    I am looking to have VSG in January 2015. I know its a way off but doing all the research I can. I am seeing all kinds of positive results and am looking forward to getting this weight down. My worry is I am a very picky eater. I don't like any fish except fish sticks and that's really not fish. I do like salads but no low fat dressings. I cant handle eggs. and the list goes on. Did your tastes change after surgery? I feel I put on some of this weight due to my picky eating. Can you eat pasta....I love pasta. I am really scared that I will go to old ways due to the picky eating. Any of you picky eater?

Thanks for your time
    maybe meat, salad and fruit will be the way for you to go. And embrace the fat in dressing just measure it. put your salad in a covered dish with 1 tbsp of full fat dressing, close shake and serve. Maybe you just like mostly raw veggies. Raw veggies dipped in bean dip or greek yogurt dip are fabulous. make your own fish sticks out of cod and panko bread crumbs baked in the oven. Make a list of all the veggies and beans that you do like. If you eat pasta you really will have to portion control it to make sure you get your meat and salad/fruit in first. This will likely mean no more than 1/4 cup of pasta per meal. if it takes up all the space you will become malnourished and have all sorts of health issues. Just because you were a picky eater doesn't mean you can't grow and appreciate new flavors and textures. Pasta is a huge trigger food for me-so i had to let it go. If i had gone back to eating pasta, pizza, bread and tortillas i would have never lost a lb. work with your nutritionist