Soreness Remedies

Options
valeriefit14
valeriefit14 Posts: 5 Member
Hello All!

I started at a new box this week and they are putting a hurting on me! I've been working out in my garage crossfit gym since my baby was born, but now I'm back into serious training and I feel like I'm starting over. It's amazing how much harder you push yourself in a class environment. I'm also lifting heavier now that I have people to watch me.

Any tips for recovery/soreness? I don't remember it being this bad the first time around, but of course I can't wait to get back there tomorrow. :)

Thanks!
Valerie

PS - looking for more Crossfitters to add as friends in case anyone is interested!

Replies

• cmay89
    cmay89 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    lots of water, make sure to stretch after the workout, roll out on a foam roller or a lacrosse ball to really target some places.

And lots more water (can't stress that enough as it is so often over looked)

And know the difference between soreness and pain, so you can work the soreness out by doing another workout :)
  • kristincreate
    Options
    ^ I agree with the above aswell! Foam rolling and lacrosse ball mobility are staples in my routine. I also swear by warm epsom salt baths. After a training session I like to use some sort of pain-relief cream. I really like Weleda Arnica Massage Oil and good ol' Tiger Balm. Lately I've been using Magnesium oil on any tight/sore areas to relieve some of the soreness. Even if I'm not initially sore I'll apply Magnesium oil on the major muscle groups that we worked that day so I don't wake up as stiff. Hope this helps!
  • FWMagicMike
    FWMagicMike Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    lots of water, make sure to stretch after the workout, roll out on a foam roller or a lacrosse ball to really target some places.

And lots more water (can't stress that enough as it is so often over looked)

And know the difference between soreness and pain, so you can work the soreness out by doing another workout :)

agreed as well!!!

fluids and keep at it. You are shocking your muscles and they are retaliating by being sore. When you build up their endurance, your soreness will not come in so much.
  • valeriefit14
    valeriefit14 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Good ideas! I had never thought to try any sort of cream. I'm downing water right now like no one's business.

Any thoughts on foam rollers? Some people swear by them.
  • disasterman
    disasterman Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Foam roller is a necessity for me especially after leg workouts. My thoughts are: a) get one and b.) learn how to use it :)
  • ashleearoha
    ashleearoha Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    If I make sure I get in stretching afterwards at home I usually avoid bad muscle soreness. I use an app called Yoga Studio and its great!
  • Inkratlet
    Inkratlet Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Stretching helps me but foam rollers don't.

My physiotherapist prescribes the use of them sometimes, but he also says that they aren't nearly as helpful as actual deep tissue work and that they can sometimes make the situation worse by causing hypersensitivity. I am hypersensitive anyway to deep tissue massage so I stay away from them otherwise I die screaming on the therapy bench.

The exception being my back and shoulders, I like to roll from the bottom of the spine upwards and crack my back, but to be honest now that I've found a really effective stretch that cracks my spine nicely I do that in stead. I'll still roll out my lower back after deadlifts though.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I've heard that epsom salt baths help extract lactic acid from your muscles. I have not tried one yet though.
  • Inkratlet
    Inkratlet Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    For me they get everything moving again but 30 mins on the sofa and I'm back to stiff and sore. Though maybe less stiff and sore. Who knows...