SUPER sore today

Options
Hello!
I started SL 5X5 yesterday, and today I am in the worst pain of my life lol. I'm sore basically from my calves all the way to my shoulders. I know my form was not anywhere near perfect yesterday as I was doing the exercises (luckily a guy was nice enough to help me in the free weights section).

My question is, is being this sore normal after the first day? I had used the weight machines prior to this for about 2 months, so I wasn't expecting the soreness and am hoping I didn't hurt myself lol. Any tips on how to ease the soreness would be appreciated. Thanks!

Replies

• Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Hot bath and drink lots of water. It will ease up. I think I was sore the day after a workout for the first 2-3 weeks. Now it only happens on rare occasions.
  • JuliRamone
    JuliRamone Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I was barely able to walk after my first 3-4 workouts. Now (in week 6) it got way better.

You're gonna be fine! For now, try to drink enough, and I read (not that sure if it's really true, but I like to believe it) that one cup of chocolate milk helps with soreness :)
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    If you know your form is off, get lighter weights and practice the form til you get it right before adding higher weights.

Continuing with crap form will cause you to be in more pain later due to injury
  • Gen2703
    Gen2703 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, I was barely able to walk too during the first 2 weeks. It does get better. Stretch, hot bath with Epsom salts, lots of water.. :flowerforyou:
  • hnsaunde
    hnsaunde Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    How sore you get changes from person to person, but I am one of them as well. When I first started SL, I had to space out the workouts to once every 3 days, because I would be sort of sore the day after, but it was the second day that really hit me with the DOMS.

Provided your form isn't off, your body will adjust and the soreness will go away with time. Keep in mind that the machines typically isolate the muscle(s) being worked, but doing free weights work your stabilizers as well, so that could definitely be contributing to your soreness too.
  • heymeaghan019
    Options
    Thanks for the responses! I tried the epsom salt bath, and it didn't help much, but stretching has helped. I've read that the best way to get through the soreness is to just work through it, so I'm not going to skip today and see what I can do.
  • hnsaunde
    hnsaunde Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses! I tried the epsom salt bath, and it didn't help much, but stretching has helped. I've read that the best way to get through the soreness is to just work through it, so I'm not going to skip today and see what I can do.

If stretching is helping, I forgot to mention earlier, try using a foam roller as well. They're brutal but very, very effective. :bigsmile:
  • suremeansyes
    suremeansyes Posts: 962 Member
    Options

If stretching is helping, I forgot to mention earlier, try using a foam roller as well. They're brutal but very, very effective. :bigsmile:

Brutal is an understatement, but I LOVE my foam roller. After I hate it while using it...lol.
  • heymeaghan019
    Options
    I tried the foam roller tonight since my gym provides them, and brutal is an understatement but it helped so much. :)