Tom Tom Running Watch

Options
pmur
pmur Posts: 223 Member
This Ad just popped up on Facebook for me, for a running watch/HRM with no chest strap. Here is a URL to the product page - http://www.sunplay.com/TomTom-Runner-Cardio-GPS-Watch-p/1ra0.001.htm?1=1&CartID=0
I've never heard of it but would like to see if anyone on here has used it. I'm thinking of a GPS watch and thought this one looked good. What do you guys think?

Replies

• Carrieendar
    Carrieendar Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    i just read an article on this and now I cannot locate it. They said the monitor was less accurate than a chest strap. Let me see if I can locate.
  • Carrieendar
    Options
    http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2014/04/tomtom-cardio.html

Looks like this particular watch performs well. definitely something to think about....
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I have the TomTom Running Watch. I have the cheaper running only one, vs the multi-sport. I actually like it more than I like my new Garmin. Its interface is easier to work with and navigate. It has a "race" mode that keeps track of PRs, and it has multiple training modes ranging from HRM to Pace to Intervals. I find the real time pace to be a bit off, so I generally stick to the average pace display. I bought one without the HRM, so I can't tell you much about that aspect. Satellite link up is really fast....rarely does it take longer than a minute to link. The only downside...and this is why I purchased a Garmin as a secondary...is that the battery life is only about 4 hours...at least it is for the Runner. It might be a bit better with the multi-sport version.

I also like the fact that the band itself is detachable from the watch face, so really easy to clean. You can also buy the bands in different colors, so if you are feeling blue one day you can go blue, or if you are feeling pink you can go pink.

It links up with Mapmyfitness (or Mapmyrun) which indirectly links up with MFP so I don't have to log my runs on here at all as they are done automatically for me.
  • CodeMonkey78
    CodeMonkey78 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I previously had the Nike+ SportWatch GPS (TomTom) and it worked REALLY well. My only issue was integrating/syncing data from the watch to apps like Strava, Endomondo, etc. It was a real pain. From what I've read, TomTom is still maturing in the same areas that were lacking when they were teamed with Nike. Plus, the battery life was too short for my liking.

Just my opinion..

If you were looking to rid yourself of the heart rate strap, I would highly recommend the Mio Link. It easily syncs with my Garmin Forerunner 220 (and any app on my phone) and is VERY accurate. The Mio is also the same heart rate sensor that is used in the TomTom HRM watches.

HTH. Happy running!
  • pmur
    Options
    Thank you all for the FB! I didn't even know the brand existed until the other day. I'm not into data too much(yet) and don't do any syncing. I have to think about that and make up my mind.
    I'm kind of bummed about the battery life. I would have expected it to at least last 5hrs. I'm not a fast runner and don't think I'll run a first marathon in less than 4 hrs :(

I love the changeable straps feature. I didn't know about that.

Btw, talking about HRM, do you guys use the HRM on your watches to train? Do you need it for speed works? I;m wondering if I even need a HRM in the first place.
  • Carrieendar
    Options
    I use an HRM to stay within target zones during training. I do use it for speedwork, but I also use it for even easy runs to keep myself from going too fast. It also helps me better track the calories i have burned so I know how much I need to eat back (sometimes I have to force myself to snack a bit more to get enough in during marathon training.)
  • pmur
    Options
    That sounds like a lot of uses for the HRM. I never check my HR while running, I just slow down a bit when I feel winded. I guess I have to look into that. I have my TDEE cals set but I'm sure during longer runs, I will have to still eat back some cals. I didn't think about that either.

Thanks for pointing the pros of the HRM out.
  • CodeMonkey78
    CodeMonkey78 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I use an HRM to stay within target zones during training. I do use it for speedwork, but I also use it for even easy runs to keep myself from going too fast. It also helps me better track the calories i have burned so I know how much I need to eat back (sometimes I have to force myself to snack a bit more to get enough in during marathon training.)

^^ This. Plus, if you run long distances with your HR in Zone 4 or 5 the whole time, you will more than likely hit "the wall".
  • pmur
    Options

^^ This. Plus, if you run long distances with your HR in Zone 4 or 5 the whole time, you will more than likely hit "the wall".

oooh! I didn't know that. Thanks for pointing that out. I just go and run and slow down when I feel like I need to. I'm that green to the whole science of running :)