Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Crossfit - All In?

2»

Replies

• bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    I agree with Paige. You're a crossfitter if you crossfit. Plain and simple. Hell, yesterday my coach called me an "athlete". ME! I laughed. He said "you did an athletic competition so you're an athlete. Get over it and accept it" haha

I'm not disputing that I am or am not a crossfitter. What I'm wondering about, is how you all feel about avoiding certain exercises because risk outweighs reward.

It's called being smart. If something is not worth it to you in the long run, then by all means, there is no reason at all to do it. I work on HSPUs and handstand holds, because I'd ultimately like to make it to regionals one day and wish to be as prepared as possible. My goals dictate that I need to learn certain skills.

A smart crossfitter knows when something is of benefit to them and when something isn't.

I don't do paleo, zone, no progenex, no herbalife, no advocare. I'm a no frills kind of girl. I want people to see what my body can do, not what diet I follow or what supplements I take. 4+ years in and I don't think that my viewpoint is going to change a bunch on this part of it.

Brisket is better than Progenex every day of the week.
  • bostonwolf

I will do jumps at 20 inches. 24 inches and I step up. 20 inches I can land every time, no problems. 24. Not so much.

I can do them at 20" no problem, which is usually RX for ladies in our WODs, but the relentless impact on my knees over and over again as I do 200 of the damn things is not worth it. What exactly am I gaining from that? Proof to everyone that I can do 200x 20" box jumps? At the expense of the next couple of WODs because I'm icing my knees... :laugh:

Disclaimer: randomly chosen number. I don't think we've ever done that many but it made the point.

hmmm....never had sore knees from box jumps. Might want to have a coach look at how you land them. Should ideally be like a squat stance so your quads take your weight and not your joints.
  • Inkratlet
    Inkratlet Posts: 613 Member
    Yeah I land in a squat, perhaps a little too deep which wastes a certain amount of energy. I have a tendency to get soft tissue strain in my knees with high impact exercise, happens with running too. It's partly bad ankle conformation, making me collapse inwards and put extra strain on the medial structures of the knee and partly strength, I think. The strength issue is easier to address. I've had various cases of bursitis and inflamed joints, all pretty low grade so far, but box jumps can aggravate it.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    My box pushes paleo hard and I don't do it. I feel fine about it. Then they tried to talk me into Zone. I don't do that either. I do Eat to Perform on my own. My box is anti-Advocare even tho we have some Advo people. I guess I do like that the box is pushing unprocessed foods even if I am going to still have my dairy and eat my ice cream.

I don't know how I feel about kipping pull ups or butterfly pull ups but I can't do the requisite number of strict dead hangs my box requires before trying, so I'm okay with ignoring the issue for now.

I do HSPU's and handstands and love them. However, I was in gymnastics as a kid and have been doing handstands for fun my whole life so doing them in CF is not something new. I step up on any boxes over 20#. At this point, I won't do any WODs with a sledghammer because I have never really swung anything (axe, golf club, etc.) and I don't feel comfortable making a swinging motion with something dangerous.I also won't go to the top on rope climbs because I think it's not safe. Eventually, I will have to though because I do like to compete.

I am training for powerlifting comps outside of CF, so I won't do the WOD in CF if I feel like it conflicts with my goals for the day or week for PL. I will just do what I can that does not conflict or screw up my strength progression.

My box is very laissez faire. We have some people who spend most of their time their doing Outlaw programming instead of the box programming. IDK. I don't think the competitive Crossfit athletes really sit around doing exclusively general programming Metcons 6x per week or eating totally paleo when you really start looking into it.
  • SGM_Adonis
    SGM_Adonis Posts: 1,565 Member
    My box pushes paleo hard and I don't do it. I feel fine about it. Then they tried to talk me into Zone. I don't do that either. I do Eat to Perform on my own. My box is anti-Advocare even tho we have some Advo people. I guess I do like that the box is pushing unprocessed foods even if I am going to still have my dairy and eat my ice cream.

I don't know how I feel about kipping pull ups or butterfly pull ups but I can't do the requisite number of strict dead hangs my box requires before trying, so I'm okay with ignoring the issue for now.

I do HSPU's and handstands and love them. However, I was in gymnastics as a kid and have been doing handstands for fun my whole life so doing them in CF is not something new. I step up on any boxes over 20#. At this point, I won't do any WODs with a sledghammer because I have never really swung anything (axe, golf club, etc.) and I don't feel comfortable making a swinging motion with something dangerous.I also won't go to the top on rope climbs because I think it's not safe. Eventually, I will have to though because I do like to compete.

I am training for powerlifting comps outside of CF, so I won't do the WOD in CF if I feel like it conflicts with my goals for the day or week for PL. I will just do what I can that does not conflict or screw up my strength progression.

My box is very laissez faire. We have some people who spend most of their time their doing Outlaw programming instead of the box programming. IDK. I don't think the competitive Crossfit athletes really sit around doing exclusively general programming Metcons 6x per week or eating totally paleo when you really start looking into it.

So jealous of you ex-gymnasts.
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    I rarely do box jumps. And if I do, it's the 14" box lol. Anything higher than that, I step up. We don't focus too much on HSPU in my gym, but it's not something I feel like I must master anyway. My approach to CF is to challenge myself, but modify anything that makes me really uncomfortable. But, I'm just the average person doing wods 4-5 times a week for fitness and fun. A competitive CFer will do things way differently.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    The beauty of being the only over-50-years guy in the gym is that they expect you to scale. Nobody ever says anything when I decide to lift less than the RX weight, or do fewer reps, or whatever.
    But i also don't think anyone should feel self-conscious about wanting to not do something. Seems like there is always one or two people in my sessions who want or need modifications. Nobody else thinks anything of it.
    Matter of fact, I think that, most days, people are just dreading the WOD. They aren't even thinking about, or paying attention to, what others are doing.
  • Inkratlet
    Inkratlet Posts: 613 Member
    I don't think the competitive Crossfit athletes really sit around doing exclusively general programming Metcons 6x per week or eating totally paleo when you really start looking into it.

Agreed! There is no way they'd get enough carbs on paleo for that kind of work.

I've also heard that, unless you were designed to almost God-like perfection both mentally and physically, you don't get to the very top of strength-based sport without a 'helping hand'. Just saying! No judgement from me either, but it helps me put things into perspective a little.
  • snoopyjet
    snoopyjet Posts: 82 Member
    I started CF two months ago.
    I was wondering, how many times per week do you do your workout?
  • SarahxApple
    SarahxApple Posts: 166 Member
    My approach to CF is to challenge myself, but modify anything that makes me really uncomfortable. But, I'm just the average person doing wods 4-5 times a week for fitness and fun. A competitive CFer will do things way differently.

This is my opinion as well, I go 3 times a week (I do other cardio in the week), I go to challenge myself, I am vegetarian, but in the UK they don't seem to push the paleo/Progenex/Reebok etc... stuff as much (I just had to google Advocare). Yes I take fish oil and a multi-vit (but I've always taken that) and try and be more conscious of my protein intake but I don't subscribe too much diet related stuff.

I am definitely of the opinion that safety is better, screwed my ankle up 15 years ago and that took years to properly diagnose and get help for as I basically ignored the pain and kept doing stuff. Actually CF has helped this injury massively. Safety far outweighs ego in my opinion, and that is the general impression and ethos I see from the coaches I come in to contact with.
  • bostonwolf

Almost none of the elite athletes eat Paleo. Guys like Rich Froning are doing hard workouts at least twice a day, six days a week. You simply can't get the carbs necessary to fuel that much work eating Paleo.

They are also doing heavy lifting programs in addition to skill work. The only way to build real strength is to do dedicated strength work.

Those guys and girls are also freakishly strong. Google the video of Rich Froning doing Grace with 225lbs. He does it faster than I can with 115.