Monument Ave or Cooper River?

Options
davemunger
davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
In 2015 I was hoping to run two of the biggest 10Ks in the country: the Monument Avenue 10k in Richmond and the Cooper River 10k in Charleston. Unfortunately, next year they are on the same day: March 28. Ugh.

I'll be going for a fast time, so my hunch is that Monument Ave will be faster. It should be cooler, and there is no bridge to contend with. Plus I think it will probably be easier to warm up than Cooper. Anyone have any experience with one / both of these races? Which would you recommend?

Replies

• larrewl
    larrewl Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I've run the Cooper River Bridge 10K a few times and enjoy the friendliness of everyone and the bands distributed trhoughout the race. There are some adjacent streets to warm up on but I don't think you're going to be able to run super fast at any big race. The bridge is tough if you haven't trained for it but I would recommend Cooper River 10K for any runner. I don't know how fast you run but would give yourself the benefit of the doubt for incremental group starts if you're going for a fast time. For example, if you expect to finish in 70 minutes, I'd enter myself in the 45-60 minutes group. Regardless, I hope you have fun! :smile:
  • davemunger
    Options
    Yeah, I've pretty much decided on Monument Ave. Consensus is Charleston is more fun but Richmond is faster, and this season it's gonna be about the speed.
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    If you are looking to race fast against fast competition I'd suggest this one:

http://www.ramble.org/index.cfm?cdid=11198&pid=11020

USATF 10K Masters championship 2015
  • davemunger
    Options
    If you are looking to race fast against fast competition I'd suggest this one:

http://www.ramble.org/index.cfm?cdid=11198&pid=11020

USATF 10K Masters championship 2015

If it was a little closer I'd consider it -- I'm already doing the 5k masters this October.