Tips to run a faster 5K?

lockeddoor
lockeddoor Posts: 103 Member
I am more nervous about this 5K I'm running on Friday than I was about my first half-marathon.

This will be only my third 5K I've ever run (and it's been nearly a year since the last one). I find 5Ks to be just be grueling and hard because you have virtually no margin of error like you do with a longer distance. All 3 of those miles are "fast" miles.

One of the previous 5Ks I've done was untimed (the Electric Run, which I did with my nonrunner husband and our kids), and the only timed one I finished at 27:32. Both were last summer.

I just did a "test run" at a local track to see what kind of improvement there has been since last year, and it was surprisingly little. I ran hard enough that I actually stopped to dry-heave on the side of the track, only to find that my finish time was 27:12.

I don't understand. I can run 3 back-to-back miles at 8:05-8:30 pace without tossing my cookies, and my 10K finish time is 53:31 (avg pace 8:37). Yet I can't manage a similar pace for a 5K? I'm trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong here.

Oh god, do I need to run before I run a 5K? Is it that I need a mile or two to warm up?

I want to set a new PR, I was just hoping it would have been shaving off MINUTES, not just seconds. :(

Replies

• Carrieendar
    Carrieendar Posts: 493 Member
    I would not look at one test run and feel like that determines where you are because there are so many factors-- hot? humid? 10 miler the day before? etc. I think a warmed up tempo run or even a 1 mile test might give you a better idea.

for future 5k ideas:

When I was trying to guage where I was for my 10k, I started with a workout that was 1x2mi and then 4 x 1 mi. I knew I wanted to hold sub 7 minutes at the race, so I looked to be in a window that was 6:50-7:10. Then I did one that was 2x2mi + 2x 1mi. Then finally I did 3x2mi; I simulated what I would wear, eat before, prepared the same way the night before, etc. That series of workouts really gave me an idea if my goal was reasonable, culminating in a kind of dress rehearsal. I know that, had I just tried to run a test 10k at the start, I bet I would have bombed it.

Now i am training for a 5k right at the start of marathon training. My plan is run some track work this week and next where I attempt to hold splits for 200s and then 400s (with many repeats) then I will do a tempo run the week before.

This is my first time racing this distance, so I am sure others will have a ton of advice!!
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Yes to a warm-up! If you are in shape to run a 53:31 10k you should be able to go sub-26 on a 5k. Warm up before you race. Run a mile or so at a very comfortable pace (you shouldn't be winded at all after this). Plan to finish about 10 minutes before the start. Then, about 5 minutes before the race, do 4 or 5 strides, where you run about 100 yards at a gradually-increasing pace, running the last 50 at the fastest pace you can run without breaking form.

Give yourself a couple minutes to recover from the strides before the race starts. If the start is delayed while you are lined up, keep yourself warm by jumping or running in place.

See also the "Run Faster 5ks" group.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/20559-run-faster-5ks
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    It sounds like you're used to running longer distances, so I'd recommend doing 1-2 miles warmup around the starting line before the race. Then you'll be ready to roll right into those faster miles when you start the 5k. Also: don't dread the 5k! You sound like you have a bit of a mental block against the distance, and a positive outlook can work wonders too :)
  • lockeddoor
    Thanks for the advice everyone!

True, it was a bit hot still last night when I did my "practice run". It was 80 degrees still at 8pm (WTF, sun?! Knock it off!) I did a short, easier paced run the day before, so I figured I wasn't running on tired legs, but I didn't factor in the heat.

And yes, I'm much more used to running longer distances as I just got out of training for my first half-marathon, and endurance and appropriate pacing for the longer distance was the focus. I just need to get used to that short distance again, and that it's okay to blow all of my reserves in the first 3 miles. It's hard to do when you spent the last 5 months teaching yourself the exact opposite!

You're right in that I think I kind of psych myself out over the 5K because it feels too much like sprinting LOL! It's definitely in my head. I just need to remember how awesome my first 5K was, and how proud I felt crossing my first finish line! (even though I dry-heaved as soon as I crossed, LOL! What is UP with me and dry-heaving if I run a 5K?)

I'll definitely do a warm up before the run, and check out the Run Faster 5Ks group.

I'm hoping for a sub-26 minute finish.

I am baking myself a Victory Pie for afterward! Extra motivation!
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    5k's are just as hard as marathons IMO. For your warm-up, I suggest running a mile of the course in reverse from the finish line. That not only gets you warmed up but also give you a chance to pick out some landmarks for your finishing push. I also suggest avoid getting caught up in the excitement of the first mile; many people will take off like a house on fire right away and end up gassed at the end. Try and run even splits with a little something extra saved for the last stretch.
  • lockeddoor
    I would not look at one test run and feel like that determines where you are because there are so many factors-- hot? humid? 10 miler the day before? etc. I think a warmed up tempo run or even a 1 mile test might give you a better idea.

for future 5k ideas:

When I was trying to guage where I was for my 10k, I started with a workout that was 1x2mi and then 4 x 1 mi. I knew I wanted to hold sub 7 minutes at the race, so I looked to be in a window that was 6:50-7:10. Then I did one that was 2x2mi + 2x 1mi. Then finally I did 3x2mi; I simulated what I would wear, eat before, prepared the same way the night before, etc. That series of workouts really gave me an idea if my goal was reasonable, culminating in a kind of dress rehearsal. I know that, had I just tried to run a test 10k at the start, I bet I would have bombed it.

Now i am training for a 5k right at the start of marathon training. My plan is run some track work this week and next where I attempt to hold splits for 200s and then 400s (with many repeats) then I will do a tempo run the week before.

This is my first time racing this distance, so I am sure others will have a ton of advice!!

Thanks, I'll do a short tempo run tonight (indoors, to avoid the awful heat), after I run a couple of easy miles to warm up, and see where that puts me, so I'm feeling less demoralized!
  • lockeddoor
    5k's are just as hard as marathons IMO. For your warm-up, I suggest running a mile of the course in reverse from the finish line. That not only gets you warmed up but also give you a chance to pick out some landmarks for your finishing push. I also suggest avoid getting caught up in the excitement of the first mile; many people will take off like a house on fire right away and end up gassed at the end. Try and run even splits with a little something extra saved for the last stretch.

Thanks, I wasn't sure what kind of split I should do for this distance. The last part of the run is on the parade route, so there will be spectators, and I'm sure that will get me pumped up right at the end! :)
  • vmclach
    vmclach Posts: 670 Member
    5k's are just as hard as marathons IMO.

Spoken like a true marathon maniac lol :)
  • lockeddoor
    Update: I finished at 25:42, even though it was crazy hot at 8am (wwwwwhhhhyyyyyy? I hate you, Sun!) It was a hard race for me. I did manage to keep a pretty even split though, in spite of the second half not having any shade. And yes, I dry-heaved at the finish line because I'm just sexy like that LOL
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Congrats on the PR! Awesome job! Once things cool down again in the fall you will blow that time away!
  • ekat120
    ekat120 Posts: 407 Member
    Awesome! That's a huge improvement! Just think how fast you'll be when it cools down.
  • CodeMonkey78
    CodeMonkey78 Posts: 320 Member
    Awesome! Congrats on the new PR!