Wet Socks

Options
Lard_Vader
Lard_Vader Posts: 138 Member
I suppose I am one of the minority here that faces the extreme humidity daily in the swamp—however, I’m sure a lot of you are getting into the hot season just the same. I was curious if anyone had any suggestions to prevent wet feet? It seems as though some socks work better than others (so far the CEP compression ankle socks work best for me) but it seems inevitable on any long run 8+ my socks/feet will become wet and the “squish-squash” will begin (very aggravating on a 20-mile run, etc.) About the only idea I've come up with is to change socks in the middle of the run. Of course, the biggest problem is once your socks are wet, so is the foot bed in your shoes—so it would be best to avoid it before things get wet. The 80ish morning temps with 100% humidity is a force to reckon with here, so I’m not sure there IS a solution. Nonetheless, I’m curious if any of you have any input.

Replies

• eatmindfully
    eatmindfully Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Here are a few suggestions I found online. Not something I have had a problem with yet but I hate running with wet feet so I'll be following as well

http://www.coolrunning.com.au/forums/?showtopic=36636
  • ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I suppose I am one of the minority here that faces the extreme humidity daily in the swamp—however, I’m sure a lot of you are getting into the hot season just the same. I was curious if anyone had any suggestions to prevent wet feet? It seems as though some socks work better than others (so far the CEP compression ankle socks work best for me) but it seems inevitable on any long run 8+ my socks/feet will become wet and the “squish-squash” will begin (very aggravating on a 20-mile run, etc.) About the only idea I've come up with is to change socks in the middle of the run. Of course, the biggest problem is once your socks are wet, so is the foot bed in your shoes—so it would be best to avoid it before things get wet. The 80ish morning temps with 100% humidity is a force to reckon with here, so I’m not sure there IS a solution. Nonetheless, I’m curious if any of you have any input.

We must live in the same place. I wrung (is that a word?) about 4 ounces of water out of my socks this morning. I have no idea how to prevent it.
  • pobalita
    pobalita Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Oh wow, when I opened this post I expected to read about another problem...I had no idea that heat and humidity could cause wet feet issues since that isn't a problem where I live.

Rain and wet streets, however, are a problem where I live. I don't know of any way to keep feet dry, but I do know that thin, synthetic socks hold the least amount of water. Also, shoes vary greatly in their ability to drain water. You might consider a shoe that drains easier. My old Sauconys would feel filled with muddy water during a wet run, but my new Brooks trail shoes never feel "squishy".

edited do add: the new shoes also feel cooler on the feet because the fabric is more open.
  • saskie78
    saskie78 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I don't really have this problem in heat and humidity but I do deal with wet feet because of stream crossings. I do ok as long as i have smartwool or drymax socks. I prefer smartwool. They don't dry completely, but I have no discomfort from wet feet in them. They make lightweight pairs for summer running. PhD line.

And ditto the idea of shoes that breathe and drain.