Team Pink Welcome Thread!!

Options
bjmurphy102
bjmurphy102 Posts: 31 Member
Hey everyone I'm bjmurphy102 and I'm your TL for the summer slam challenge '14! I am excited to start this journey with all of you and I want to get to know you a little better. I am from Orlando, FL and my passion is bettering myself and helping others along the way. As I get better about getting into shape my "job" is a payroll coordinator and accounting assistant. I love to be around my friends and just have a good laugh and a good time. I would like you guys to just answer 3 questions in response to this thread so we can all get to know each other a little better and build our own FitFam from this summer slam challenge!! I look forward to working with you guys over the course of the next 5 weeks!! You can always message me here on MFP if you have ANY questions but always remember I am neither a doctor or a certified personal trainer so I can give you MY advice but always seek professional answers if you're unsure about starting something!!!

The three questions are:
1. Where do you see yourself one year from now?

2. What holds you back or limits you in your quest to being healthy?

3. What is the single most proud moment (doesn't have to be health related) that you've accomplished so far in your life?

I will post my answers on here for everyone to read as well!! I am constantly on the go but I always take time to help others so don't be afraid to reach out and ask for help!!

my answers are
1. Becoming USAA certified and hopefully having at least one or two clients underneath me that I can supervise.

2. I tend to "over-think" my workouts whether it be just a cardio session or strength training. I need to "get out of my head" and just give 100% all the time. Everyone has off days and that's ok but it's when it starts becoming a weekly habit that's when it starts becoming a problem.

3. Being able to go from a 400 pound unhappy slobby mess of a man down to a healthy (even though I have flaws still that I work on every day) 260 pound young man that's I've matured into all without gimmicks, "shakes", pills or surgery. It was all through proper nutritious eating and exercise.

I look forward to reading everyone's responses!!!

Brannan
bjmurphy102

"If it doesn't challenge you, it won't change you"

Replies

• kgreenRDLDN
    kgreenRDLDN Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Hello I'm Kimberly and I'm a Registered Dietitian and Certified Diabetes Educator(CDE). I live in Missoula, MT.

Working with Diabetes patients, married, and enjoying life!

Time and motivation are what get in my way. I work 8-5 and have a 30 minute commute. By time I get home I don't want to exercise, but I need to!

3. What is the single most proud moment (doesn't have to be health related) that you've accomplished so far in your life?
    I got my CDE! That was my lifelong goal since I had been diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes at age 10. I just passed my exam this Spring.
  • bjmurphy102
    Options
    Welcome Kimberly!! Great post and welcome to the Pink team of Summer Slam!!! together this summer we will be getting you on the board with finding time in your schedule to get a quick workout in!! I commute 45 minutes one way and work 8-5 also. But I am up every morning and off to the gym by 5:30 to make sure that I have time to get my daily burn in!!! Once again welcome!!

P.S. Congrats on the certification and passing of your tests!! Definitely something to be proud of!!!

Welcome once again!!

Brannan
  • kgreenRDLDN
    Options
    Thank you. Yea I cant do early morning...no way I would be able to get up before 6:30 and still function....lol.
  • koumbay2
    koumbay2 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi my name is Kim, I'm a registered nurse, I work with sick neonates in a special care nursery. I'm married and have a 3 year old daughter.
    In a year from now I'd like to be down as much weight as possible so I can feel better and be able to try to keep up with my toddler.
    What holds me back is my crazy busy schedule, I work 12 hr shifts and mostly nights at that, I'm always exhausted and it's hard to find motivation to do a workout.
    My greatest accomplishment is my daughter, I struggled for 5 years with infertility and then a miracle happened, she will be the only child we are able to have and I love her to pieces.
    Looking forward to this challenge for motivation, good luck everyone.
  • kgreenRDLDN
    Options
    Nice to meet you Kim. 2 Kim's that are in the healthcare field what are the odds!
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,636 Member
    Options

At my goal weight of 125 lbs, married!

Consistency.

Maybe graduating from college but running a half marathon is up there as well!
  • bjmurphy102
    Options
    Welcome ladies!! I'm so happy to see people paying on here that are serious about this!! I'm very passionate about helping others and I believe that this will be a great starter course for me on the stepping stones to become certified!!! Please feel free to reach out to me at any time if you need anything!!
  • Mayra_121
    Mayra_121 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Hey Pink Team:

I'm sorry I did not write earlier, but long weekends tend to be very hectic. Well just a little bit about me... I am 26 yrs old 5'3" from Puerto Rico. To answer the questions:

My fiance and I move a lot due to his job so as far as where (in the literal sense) I have no idea but am looking forward to it!! And as for health/weight wise.... I am trying my best to stay determined to lose 50lbs to reach my UGW. I recently gained 20 lbs that I had lost last year but I am ready to get back into gear!!

I am VERY inconsistent... I like to try new things and do pretty good for weeks but then usually when my hormones get crazy I tend to get side tracked and just give up.

I would say there are 2:

** Generally speaking: getting my BA last year after many ups and downs

*** And health wise last summer I did a 30 Juice Fast.... which for me was EXTREMELY difficult because I love food!!! But I had been treating my body like crap for the last 6 years and I knew deep down that doing this fast would help my body get many of the nutrients it had lacked for soo long. Plus the fact that I always saw myself as having very little will power, at the end of those 30 days i felt so proud of myself for sticking to it.
  • bjmurphy102
    Options
    Welcome once again to everyone!! The thing that I want to reinterate that I had to struggle with is to try and detach yourself from the scale and losing pounds. Inches are more important than pounds!! we want to be healthy and fit not "skinny fat" I am proud of all of you for taking this step and journey with me and the rest of the group now let's SLAM the other groups put in the hard work and reap the rewards that our bodies will be giving us for the rest of our lives!!

Brannan
  • LCole1997
    LCole1997 Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi Team Pink!!

My name is LaQuan, and I am married and have 10 year old - Twin Girls and a 6 year old son. I am a portfolio property accountant.

As it relates to health, I see myself being "healthier" again and down 20lbs (yup, I know inches are important, but I need to see the pounds move too! LOL!!!!). That will get me half way to my goal! I also love to help people in any capacity that I can, so I see myself helping people with their financial dreams.

Being a former athlete and in marching band (Well, 18 years ago! LOL....), I believe I need more than the typical 30-45 minutes a day to actually lose weight and inches. So, finding the time to get the necessary exercise in to make that happen!! Early morning could work, but that would mean I would have to go to be at a decent hour! I just got a Fitbit, so that is helping me to make sure I'm consistently moving!!

There are two so far: Graduating from college and marrying my college sweet heart/raising our family!