Need Supports and Advice on Weight Gain and Exercise!

Options
ltrenk
ltrenk Posts: 11 Member
I have been struggling with the amount of weight I have put on. I am 24 weeks, and I feel like I cannot control my weight gain.

I wasn't tracking up to this point because my first trimester I has MS so badly that I was just happy to eat anything. Starting my second trimester (I count it at 14wks) I had barely gained anything. I thought that I would be in the clear and limit myself to only a pound a week from there on out. I continued to have MS and nausea until about 21wks! (yikes!)

Recently, I feel like I'm gaining so much weight. I think I just so excited to eat since I haven't been sick. Now I need to get it under control. I went for my monthly appointment yesterday, and I gained 7lbs(!!!) since my last visit. Most of that came in the last 3 weeks since I've been able to eat. I'm ready to jump back on and start tracking my food again.

Also, I would like to start adding activity back into my life. I'm a little wary on how to ease back in at this point since I was down for the count for about 16 weeks while sick.

Support and advice is welcome. :smile:

Replies

• Love4fitnesslove4food2
    Love4fitnesslove4food2 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I'm assuming you lost weight during your weeks of morning sickness? Try to acquaint yourself with the normal pregnancy weight gain...at 20 weeks 10 pounds ABOVE PRE PREGNANCY WEIGHT is recommended for people who start at a normal weight. It is not at all for the lost weight to come on faster than if you were gaining from your start weight.
  • Love4fitnesslove4food2
    Love4fitnesslove4food2 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Oh and after 20 weeks it's err commended to gain 1 pound per week On average--some weeks will likely be more and some less. That's not a problem.
  • danifo0811
    danifo0811 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I can't offer any advice but I can offer support. Previously I didn't gain anything in the first trimester and it took me to 16 weeks to get to my pre preg weight. After that, I seemed to gain 1-4 lbs a week (start around 140, end around 190 for both). With my first pregnancy, I ate super healthy and watched what I ate. (TMI) I found when I ate lower (ie 1400 calories) my digestion would slow and I had almost no poop (not constipated just barely anything coming out). When I ate 1800-2000, pooping was normal. I could gain the same amount on either calorie plan. It was extremely frustrating. I know weight fluctuates but with this, if I was up 1-2 lbs the next morning, those lbs were on until the end.

The next time I didn't track calories, ate lots of junk (thank you stress) and my weight gain mirrored the first time, However, that created some bad eating habits that were very hard to break and made it much more difficult to lose the weight after.

I guess my advice is if you feel like you need to eat more, try to keep it healthy!
  • acampbe2umd
    acampbe2umd Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    First off, it will be hard to get advice because everyone will gain weight differently, i.e. at different times during their pregnancies. And furthermore, every pregnancy on the same person will also gain differently. Don't stress the weight gain unless your doctor has indicated you need to. Just make sure to get enough and not deprive yourself because you're concerned about your weight gain. I joined MFP just to track during my 3rd pregnancy and I tracked and ate back all of my calories and gained a healthy amount for my body.

In terms of activity, I'm sure you've heard the whole don't do anything you previously haven't done. I'll tell you that while I tried to be active throughout all of my pregnancies, sometimes it was difficult at the beginning due to exhaustion. Once I started feeling better, I dived back in and listened to my body, so if you were doing something pre-pg, chances are you should be fine to resume now that you're feeling well again. Disclaimer, obviously clear everything with your doctor!