Am I crazy to consider doing a 1/2?

Options
I need the thoughts and opinions of all you expert runners. I'm thinking about registering for a 1/2 on November 2nd.....am I crazy?

Here's where I'm at......I started running in 2010 and went from the C25K program to completing three 5K races (at a very slow pace, like 45 minutes). I didn't run at all in 2011 or 2012 and only ran/walked a few times last year.

I started seriously re-dedicating myself to running again at the beginning of June and am working on a 10K training program. When I started a month ago the best I could do was run/walk intervals of 2 minutes each. I am currently able to run 2 miles at about a 12:00 pace so I'm definitely seeing some quick progress (I think).

But....to go from where I am to 12 miles in 4 months? That's not possible, is it? (Especially if I want to do it at a reasonable pace and not take 9 hours to finish.)

I'm female, 44 years old, still about 30 pounds overweight, and have never been athletic.

Thanks for any help!

Replies

• pmur
    pmur Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Why not a 10K before the half? I wanted to do a HM training plan to as soon as I finished my c25k in March but I felt I couldn't do week 1 of the easiest novice plan(Hal Higdon). I started a 10K training plan immediately(Hal Higdon). Half way through the 10k training I ran my first 5K (May). I contemplated starting the HM plan then but was still not ready for the rigour.. I was not even close. I just continued my 10K training and ran my first 10K in June. I started HM training right afterwards(Hal Higdon Novice 1) and I felt I was ok doing it. I signed up for a first Half in Sept. So if you want to work on performance vs completion I would suggest running a 10K first before jumping into the Half. This is just my personal experience though, maybe the other more experienced runners have better suggestions.
    In fact, I just ran a race today (7K) and worked it into my HM training plan as planned run(supposed to be 4 miles but the race was 4.5). I was able to finish the race at a much better pace than my June 10K although the weather was hot and humid and unpleasant. I'm pretty sure if I had not done the 10K plan fully and run that race I would have not been able to progress so well pace wise.
  • Novus175
    Novus175 Posts: 80
    Options
    Why not a 10K before the half?

I was planning on a 10K, but when I was looking for races I found this 1/2 that is both closer and cheaper than any 10K I could find. Plus, I did a 5K at this race back in 2010 so I know that it is a well organized event with a great course.

I'm currently doing a 10K training program which I will complete on August 10 and then am starting a 15K training program that will last through October 19 (assuming all goes as planned and I don't, like, die, or something). So, I was thinking if I was up to 10 miles (15K) by October 19 I could easily add another 2 miles by November 2 to run the 1/2.

But you're most probably right, pmur, and I'm being an extreme over-achiever and over-planner (as I have a terrible tendency to do!)
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Don't forget a half marathon is 13.1 miles, not 12... :wink:

I think you probably can complete it, or you could consider doing it as a planned walk/run rather than setting out to run all the way. But I'm not convinced it would be that much fun at this stage - does it have to be now? I think part of the satisfaction from running is that it's a long-term project. If it was me I'd do the 5k again, but much more easily because you will be able to run 10 miles so 5k will seem easy. Then work towards the half throughout the next year.
  • Novus175
    Options
    If it was me I'd do the 5k again, but much more easily because you will be able to run 10 miles so 5k will seem easy. Then work towards the half throughout the next year.

This is great advice, litsy. I never even considered doing the 5K (because why do less when I can do more). But how fun would it be to knock off like 15 minutes from my race time from when I did it in 2010?!?
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    You could probably do it by then. You need to start running regularly. Run some more 5ks during the summer, increase gradually and you could probably do it.
  • wombat94
    wombat94 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I think you could do it, but the concern I have is your statement about "a reasonable pace"... with a short timeline from your current training level to race day, I'd say you need to decide on either completing the 13.1 mile race OR running longer distances at a relatively fast pace - trying to do both increasing distance and increasing pace in that time is an injury waiting to happen in my opinion.

I'm training for my first full and am deliberately slowing down in order to build endurance and stamina safely, and I'd recommend a more conservative approach like that.

Good luck!

Ted
  • ChangeYourPace
    ChangeYourPace Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    It's absolutely reasonable if you're dedicated to it. One of my employees went from not running at all to finishing a half-marathon in a little less than your timeframe. I still remember the advice I received before my first full marathon: just focus on having fun and finishing.
  • lockeddoor
    lockeddoor Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I agree with the previous posters, that it's possible, but may not be enjoyable, especially if you are worried about how quickly you finish the half-marathon. I don't know how you define a "reasonable pace" but in your short time frame, I don't think you should focus too much on speed. Endurance trumps that. You need to be able to run 13 miles first before you can start worrying about running 13 miles fast. I definitely think that you will be able to finish though! Getting to the point where you can run 10 miles is a big milestone (or at least it was for me). Once I hit a double-digit number, somehow 13.1 didn't seem nearly as daunting. It seemed achievable.

My biggest recommendation is to walk through the water stations. They will probably be spaced every 2 or so miles (maybe more or less based on the course, make sure to look it up). Take that short pause to stop and hydrate without running through it (even if you know how to run and drink at the same time). That will help break up the distance for you, and feel recharged after each one. I ran my first half-marathon last month and I ran the whole thing except for at the water stations. In spite of walking through the water stations, I finished much faster than my goal time or any of my practice runs for the race. Once I got to the water station, I grabbed a cup, walked while drinking, threw the cup away, and then picked right back up with running the second that cup was out of my hand. Around 20-30 seconds of walking. It didn't add that much time to my finish (as I finished well under my goal), and may have even helped me to maintain a good pace and not feel as fatigued (physically or mentally).
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I think you could do it! That's still 4 months away. You can build a good base over the summer, get some 7-9 mile long runs in toward the end of August perhaps, and get a good 10-12 mile run in before the race in September/October. Just take it easy on the base-building, and if you're expecting to run-walk anyway or you are looking to finish in a reasonable amount of time, I think you'll be good :D
  • GillianMcK
    GillianMcK Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    As long as you're dedicated to your training plan, then yes you could do it, but think ahead, do you have things coming up that will interfere with the training.
    Personally for my first marathon, time wasn't my priority (only to finish within the allowed time of 6.5hrs), my main priority was just to complete it, I did complete it and I did enjoy it and I have the experience now for next year, of what to expect.

Most half marathon plans are about 12 weeks, so you have the time, biggest question at this time of year with it being summer holiday time, is can you commit to the training plan you put in place, if you can, then I say go for it!!!
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    You are about my age, and I started running a bit over a year ago. Pushing too fast early on (not running much at all) sidelined me with a knee injury for a couple of months. I ran a few 5K's then 2 10K's and did my first 1/2 in June. I am very slow and didn't want to race the 1/2 (I had 10 days to prepare as my friend convinced me to sign up), so I just ran it slowly.

Perhaps if you don't concern yourself with your pace you will be able to complete the 1/2. If you are pushing for your time and wanting to "race" it in this short of a time you are more likely to be delayed due to injury.

It is good to have a goal--many people have a goal of signing up for some race. I think a better long term goal is to develop a love of running that will result in a lifetime of fitness. Part of that is to remain uninjured. Injuries typically occur when we try to run too far, too fast.
  • Novus175
    Options
    Everyone has given some great feedback, for both the "yes" and "no" sides of the issue. Since I don't have to register for the race right this very second, I think I'll just give myself some time and see how things progress. I'll definitely keep everyone's cautions and advice in mind. Thank you so very much!
  • SteveTries
    SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    This is easily within your grasp. You have a long time to gradually increase your mileage and get to the start line of your race confident that you can get to the finish. You'll actually be in a position where you are trying to figure out what your goal time will be.

I don't know you and how you think, but for me the path to success here is:

1) sign up to the race - this is a commitment I would be making to myself and give me a focus for my training.
    2) find a plan - stick it up on the fridge and cross off each workout as I do it - this keeps me accountable but also gives me a little boost in confidence as you see the completion building up.

When I crossed the finish line at my first half it was an emotional experience. Running was something other people did. I wasn't built for running. I didn't have the genetics. I couldn't commit to the training, far too busy........etc.
    It was such a thrill to do it, I highly recommend it and am very confident that you have plenty of time if you plan it and commit yourself.

Good luck!!
  • GillianMcK
    GillianMcK Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Everyone has given some great feedback, for both the "yes" and "no" sides of the issue. Since I don't have to register for the race right this very second, I think I'll just give myself some time and see how things progress. I'll definitely keep everyone's cautions and advice in mind. Thank you so very much!

Sign up for it and make sure you commit to the training, it's easy to say 'I want to do that', but until you sign up you can always find an excuse not to train for it and then by the time it comes to the entry cut off you decide not to do it because you haven't trained (know w a few people that have done that), find a plan that works for you and go for it, you don't have to finish first, you just have to finish (finishing last beats did not finish, and did not finish still beat did not start).

My training plan started 3 weeks ago, my long runs are 5 miles this weekend, followed by 6 miles, 3.1 mile fast run, 7 miles, 8 miles, 6.2 mile race pace, 9 miles, 10 miles, race day, I run another 2 shorter runs through the week (the 4 short run has been replaced by an hours yoga for flexibility), the 2 shorter runs started a 2 miles, currently on 3.5 miles, next 2 weeks 4 miles, 2 weeks at 4.5 miles and 3 weeks at 5 miles, I will walk jog these runs as it takes me about 4.5miles to get going!!
  • SillyC2
    SillyC2 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    It should totally be doable, but if you haven't been running regularly recently.... do you WANT to?

Take a look at some half-marathon training plans. You have to do a long run about every weekend. Are you really and truly ready to make that commitment? I'm an ultrarunner myself, so I do it. But my husband has maxxed out at a few half marathons. He does about one a year, and the rest of the year he doesn't really feel like doing the long runs on the weekend. He's all like, F this, I'm watching football today.