Pity Party

Options
ascrit
ascrit Posts: 770 Member
I have been dealing with lingering knee soreness for a while. The first time it happened I went to the gym anyway, worked through it, and my knee felt totally fine afterwards and even for the next week or so. But then the soreness continued on and on and on. Finally I went to see my orthopedist and after nothing showed up on the x-ray he ended up giving me a cortisone shot. It didn't really help.

It has been almost two weeks since I have been to the gym and it is not a good feeling at all. I have been tracking my meals and doing well overall though the holiday weekend was kinda nuts. I am back to being a healthy eater today and I have another appointment with my orthopedist today to try and figure out what my problem is and more importantly when I can go back to working out.

:sad: :sad: :sad: :ohwell:

Replies

• SGM_Adonis
    SGM_Adonis Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    I shall not mire in the same mud as another man, that's just too much sexy : )

Wishing you the best bro. I've been there and am just not (this past week) finally past some shoulder issues.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling. My knees have been a bit sore lately as well. Took the whole long weekend off to give them a rest but they are still a bit banged up.

We have back and front squats on the agenda today. I really want to go since squats are one of my few strong movements, but I'm not sure.

I will probably do it with a thorough cool down and icing afterwards
  • _Resolve_
    _Resolve_ Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I hear ya, I have soreness in my left knee. The only thing that has helped is to take omega 3 every night.. not sure if you have tried it but its worth the $10.00 to try it out.
  • ashleearoha
    ashleearoha Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    My knee was so bad after a WOD doing lots of box jumps and I am finally back after a 2 week hiatus. Just a strained ligament for me (thank god). I take an anti inflammatory daily to keep it under control and stretch a lot.

I was so cagey not being able to do any crossfit! I understand your pain and frustration. Best not too make it worse though. I hope it heals soon!
  • Inkratlet
    Inkratlet Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Booooo

Knees are a PITA. Mine play up too, they don't like anything with impact (running, box jumps) and my patellar tendon gets tight and makes cracking noises.

Can you WOD anyway and scale where necessary? That's what I usually do.
  • ascrit
    Options
    Can you WOD anyway and scale where necessary? That's what I usually do.

I tried that when my knee first started to hurt but even scaling back didn't really help. Plus I am wary of doing squats at all, even air squats. I did make up my own WOD (10 rounds for time - 10 push ups and 10 sit ups) and that went well. I might do that more.
  • Inkratlet
    Options
    That's kind of what I meant. If I need to stay off knee activity my coach always has something I can do in stead.

There's a chap who has a shoulder injury and he just avoids any exercise where the arms are lifted above shoulder height.
  • ascrit
    Options
    That's kind of what I meant. If I need to stay off knee activity my coach always has something I can do in stead.
    Once I get a diagnosis from the doctor and advice on what I can/can't do I plan on letting my coaches know so I can scale properly.
    There's a chap who has a shoulder injury
    Oh Inky, you are so British! :love: :flowerforyou: :wink:
  • bostonwolf
    Options
    I hear ya, I have soreness in my left knee. The only thing that has helped is to take omega 3 every night.. not sure if you have tried it but its worth the $10.00 to try it out.

I do this. Probably need to start up the glucosamine/chondroitin regime again as well.

Also, I will probably be buying knee sleeves very soon.
  • bostonwolf
    Options
    Once I get a diagnosis from the doctor and advice on what I can/can't do I plan on letting my coaches know so I can scale properly.

I'll add this too.

I'm 44 and about every 3 months or so I try to take a least a week completely off. Nothing more than going for leisurely walks. The workouts that week I come back are usually pretty ferocious.
  • gsop22
    gsop22 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I have had a lingering knee pain for 2 months now. I did some lunges and maybe landed wrong. I took two weeks off and though it went away and after squatting felt the pain coming back. Funny thing is I can do front squats fine no pain but once I do a backsquat I feel it coming back. Our box was doing a 12 week squat program and was seeing some great gains so this really bummed me out. The knee issue started in about week 5 of the program. I have been taking some fish oil which may be helping but decided to get the Rehband knee sleeve(the blue one). Just tried it for the first time today and I have to say I felt no knee pain after doing squats and I went to about 80% 5 times. I don't want to push it put will slowly build up and see how it goes. Not saying this will fix the problem but I have to say what a difference.

I'll let you know if how it goes in the next few days after a few days of using it.

Injuries suck and there were so many days I look at the WOD and saw it was a squat day or similar workout and decided not to go to not aggravate the knee. So I know the feeling. Get better
  • Inkratlet
    Options

What a spiffing fellow you are! :tongue:

I live near Cambridge, we are probably the epitome of English middle-class. It's a tough call between Cambridge and Oxford for 'Englishness'!
  • misschristineelizabeth
    Options
    OP, do you have the Rehband knee sleeves? They're great! I have knee pain due to my knee tracking slightly out of place. It's just a dull, chronic, mild ache that I attributed to overuse and being overweight. I've started wearing my knee sleeves for EVERY wod, not just squatting/box jumps, and my pain is almost non existent now.
  • ascrit
    Options
    Update: I have an MRI scheduled for tomorrow and I see my doctor again on Thursday. My hope is that he'll tell me that nothing is torn or if something is torn it can heal with rest.
    OP, do you have the Rehband knee sleeves? They're great! I have knee pain due to my knee tracking slightly out of place. It's just a dull, chronic, mild ache that I attributed to overuse and being overweight. I've started wearing my knee sleeves for EVERY wod, not just squatting/box jumps, and my pain is almost non existent now.

I don't have knee sleeves but I have definitely considered getting them. Perhaps I will get some before I start back up with CF. Thanks for the suggestion.
  • ascrit
    Options
    I received some good-ish news from my doctor today following the MRI I had on my knee on Tuesday. He did not see any major damage which would require surgery. That being said, there are several CrossFit essential activities I need to avoid for the next three months:
    - running
    - squatting
    - lunging
    - jumping

Hopefully after this three month period I will be healed up and ready to resume normal activities.
  • Quinnstinct
    Quinnstinct Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Good news! Can you row? I feel your pain (well, I will be soon). I took vitamins for awhile and when I was consistent it helped. Also, icing helped me a lot as well. You'll get back to 100% soon!
  • ascrit
    Options
    Nope, no rowing.

I have been taking two ibuprofen every 6 hours and icing at night. That has helped. I am also going to invest in some knee sleeves.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Lots and lots of people wear knee sleeves where I go. Can you bike in the interim? It is great exercise and keeps your legs in shape while being easy on your knees!
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    I'm going to go slightly counter to all the knee sleeve talk.
    While sleeves are good to protect and sometimes help track movement, they do little to resolve weaknesses.

Since the X-rays are not showing specific damage, this likely points to muscular or joint tracking issues (particularly patella). Take a look at exercise that address weaknesses in the joint.

http://exrx.net/Kinesiology/Weaknesses.html

(Once current pain has resided. - RICE for now)
  • MDLNH
    MDLNH Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I received some good-ish news from my doctor today following the MRI I had on my knee on Tuesday. He did not see any major damage which would require surgery. That being said, there are several CrossFit essential activities I need to avoid for the next three months:
    - running
    - squatting
    - lunging
    - jumping

Hopefully after this three month period I will be healed up and ready to resume normal activities.
    Looks like it will be a lot of upper-body work for the next three months (weighted pull-ups?; muscle-ups?; handstands?; etc.) and then when your shoulders are hurting/sore, your doctor will tell you to take a break from those activities and you can back to the legs/knees . . . Its a visicious cycle that I also am a part of - Good Luck :-)