Hormones, Surgeries and Weight

I would first like to introduce myself. I am Nicole Taylor, fomrer USMC, now retired, disabled with Mental Health issues related to Major Depression, Bipolar and previously schizophrenic, and Founder / President of Fort Worth Transgender in Fort Worth, Texas. I have always been extremely thin all my life, weighing in about 110 Lbs my senior year and around 140 Lbs. upon leaving the USMC. Over the past few years,since 2006, to be exact, I have been on psychiatric drugs, cross hormone therapy, and in 2010 had orchiectomy also known as orchidectomy (removal of the testes). I am now weighing in about 195-200 Lbs. and to boot, lost 2" in height to be 5'6" from originally 5'8". I would like to start a discussion based on these areas and perhaps, through commonalities, we can achieve the weight we desire. I will be doing some research on common weight issues and resolutions, starting with being transgender, since that is the name of the topic here, and will be somewhat cross posting in the Mental health Group as well.

Hope to hear from everyone,

Nikki

Replies

• laratacita
    laratacita Posts: 53 Member
    Hi.

The hormones mtfs take cause them to lose weight more slowly. Since you've had an orchiectomy, you will find it even harder to keep weight off.

I suppose we all have our own reasons for making the decision to lose weight or become healthier, and some are more complex than others. Part of the reason is I know doctors won't perform surgeries over a certain weight. Other reasons include a history of heart problems on my father's side of the family, and knowing that my mother weighed over 300 pounds when she died. (I'm sure her diet of Pepsi and potato chips did little to help her health. However, she died after a series of bipolar and shizoaffective episodes. She had locked herself in her room for days and I cannot be sure of the reasons for her death.) Another reason is I didn't want to be one of the 400-pound plus people using the mobility scooters I regularly serve food to while working as a demonstrator at Sam's Club. I picked up a Y membership and decided to bring my weight down.

Of course, I would have been more successful if I hadn't moved to Indiana and started to get homesick. Pennsylvania Dutch food is delicious, but it's high in starch and typically made in large quantities. I hope to be back down to the weight I was when I cam to Indiana by the end of July.
  • Kabiti
    Kabiti Posts: 191 Member
    Medicine is one thing - losing testosterone (and muscle mass) can make it tough to lose.

Another problem I had was from the stress of transition. I lost 45 lbs after coming out (anxiety kicked off my diet quite well), then stalled from dysphoria (it ALL came back, and HOW). I managed to maintain until a few months after I started HRT. My weight has crept back up almost 20 lbs. I blame the stress of transition far more than the medicines used to transition. I just couldn't hide at work *and* bring a lunch *and* eat well.

Now I'm FT (as of June 23rd) and totally ready to get back on track. My work (social) transition went pretty well and while it's still awkward, I so much more at ease now that it finally seems possible again. My home life is getting better and people are slowly starting to move from tolerance to acceptance. I have a LOT of hope.

I also want to get to healthy weight for future surgery. I've heard a magical number of being under 210 lbs from some surgeons. I'm under that now, but just barely. It's time again.