Turbo training

Options
Lukejacksmum
Lukejacksmum Posts: 30 Member
Just wondered if anyone else uses a turbo trainer when it's a bit wet outside?

I went on mine yesterday and done 10 miles in 26 mins! Is that a good time? I think I lost a stone in sweat!!

Was lovely not to do any climbing and has taught me that maybe I'm not as slow as I thought I was, lol x

Replies

• m1xm0d3
    m1xm0d3 Posts: 1,576 Member
    Options
    I would like to get one eventually, especially for winter time but I can't help but think the constant flat, windless indoor riding will make you soft when it comes time to venture back outside and face steep hills and walls of bike stopping wind.

Is there a resistance setting on them so it's not so easy all the time?
  • kcjchang
    kcjchang Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I use it all the time and no, it can't make you weak for outdoors ride unless you make it so. Most (or can be attached in the case of rollers) have some type of resistance to simulate loads. I recommend getting one with a mag resistance for the noise. I have a Kurt Kinetic Road Machine. The only bad things about it is the boredom that set in after an hour or so. Incidentally, trainers are a great way to improve your spin. I used mine on weekdays and hit the road on weekends. It helps me tremendously in getting back into shape.

Yes, that's very fast. My experience is that my speed (effort) on KK directly translate to flat outdoors rides. On my old wind trainer the resistance increase is sharper and at 20-25 mph, it's about 1-2 mph more on the road; at low speeds it's barely register. Haven't used unit resistance trainer but I think it offers similar resistance within steps (only slight increases due to speed). Another reason to get a KK or fluid mag resistance unit.

Rollers are the only exception unless you install a resistance unit. They are typical used for to work on spin and balance. By themselves, they provide little or no resistance.
  • bsexton3
    bsexton3 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I am on my second one. I use it mostly in the winter, or when my available time to ride does not match with being able to get out.

Boredom was my first issue to get over. Now, it is not a problem. To solve it, I watched video of rides on the internet. I never bought a video.

I bike faster on the trainer, even with resistance. I just go for time and calories burned. I try to set my resistance to match the road. I go on a short ride, bring it it, put it on the trainer and try to get it to match.

After several years of using the trainer when it was raining, I finally decided that rain itself could not hold me inside. It just rains too much in Oregon. So, over a few years, I invested in good rain gear and just head out.
  • m1xm0d3
    Options
    So there are 2 basic type of trainers, right? Fluid & Magnetic? I have a MTB but run street tires on it. I want something quiet.
  • kcjchang
    Options
    So there are 2 basic type of trainers, right? Fluid & Magnetic? I have a MTB but run street tires on it. I want something quiet.

There are two primary types of bicycle trainers: roller and mechanical resistance. The three main types of mechanical resistance trainers are wind, magnetic, & fluid. Fluid trainers are the most quiet but cost more. The least expansive models use the rear wheel as a contact point to generate resistance (don't use knobby with it). There are others such as Wahoo Kickr that don't use the wheel but expect to pay for it. Most will accommodate mountain bike setup but check with manufacture just in case.

I watch Netflix also but still building up my time on the saddle. So far the limit is only one hour on trainer and two outside before my butt gets to sore.
  • m1xm0d3
    Options
    Excellent. Thanks. I will certainly pick a fluid one closer to fall & winter. Any do's or don'ts regarding brand or a specific style? MTB on street tires.
  • kcjchang
    Options
    I chose KK based on the reviews. CycleOps is another but saw to many bad reviews on seal leaks, but that was three years ago. I also got their t-725w computer that provides virtual power reading. I think training with power/cadence/HR is essential (especially indoors) and KK computer has it all and is reasonably priced if you don't have a setup.

I recently added IpBike to record instantaneous readings (VP, HR, cadence, speed, grade, calories, etc) and use my KK computer to keep taps during training. Only bad part is wearing two HR straps. IpBike works with Ant+, BlueTooth, BlueTooth LE sensors. I went with Ant+ since my phone has a built-in radio (HTC One M7 rooted, see http://www.thisisant.com/business/opportunities/mobile if interested; needed Ant+ Enabler for my phone also) and Garmin cadence/speed accelerometer combo (easy transfer between bikes - I have two road bike and one is setup semi permanently on the trainer). On my outdoors road bike, I got a Bontrager Node 2.1 (which came with a HR strap) to keep tabs and phone for recording. You could go with Garmin Ant + device but not sure if any has VP setup. The piece meal cost me half of Garmin Edge 810‎. I have limited need for GPS so phone battery power is not an issue and is safely tucked away in my jersey.
  • veloman21
    veloman21 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I have a KK road machine too. Works well but will chew up tyres if you up the resistance. Boredom is the biggest problem for me. Watching movies/sufferfest videos help some but it's still monotonous. I've seen setups in gyms that connect the bikes to a screen so that riders can 'race' each other. It would be cool if someone invented an app that could link users in a real-time virtual race.
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    I've got a Tacx Genius & wouldn't be without it...

I only use it in the winter months when there's snow and ice around. My carbon roadie takes up permanent residence on the Turbo' while the CX gets a hammering on the roads (on the few occasions that we have cold but dry days...)