Fitbits and Things

Options
saskie78
saskie78 Posts: 237 Member
Been toying with the idea of a fitbit, a vivofit, or a Nike fuelband. I know many of the runners around here here have these. Any thoughts? I know there are comparisons online. I guess I'm just curious what you guys think. I like data a lot and--well--if I can have more of it, I often like to!

Wondering if you have any of these kinds of devices, are you glad you got one? Why or why not? Is there a benefit to having this general log of your every darn move?

Which do you have and what are its pros/cons?

Replies

• SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Vivofit is suddenly more useful now that it works with MFP to do adjustments to my daily calories. The big advantage it has over the other trackers is that it can use an HRM. Inaccuracies include lots of false steps tracked throughout the day, and no way to calibrate walking distance. It seems that each tracker has good features that another is missing, and there isn't a "perfect" one out there IMO
  • tkillion810
    tkillion810 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I have the fitbit flex. I like it - in concept. It keeps me moving when I'm not running, and that was my goal. I'm disappointed with it because they don't seem to like taking a charge. I'm on my second one, the first had to be replaced because it stopped charging. I know of others who have had the same issue. Their customer service was excellent in handling my issue, but even the new one doesn't start charging right away. I have to finagle the thing for about 5 minutes to get it to start going. Not something I want to do every 5 days.

I did read that Apple is coming out with something similar in October that is supposed to have even more sensors. I love all things Apple - so I'm waiting to see what they come out with. I will most likely be updating at that time.
  • nimler
    nimler Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have a FitBit Flex that I was given through a work incentive program. I feel like it's the "wii" of trackers, but it has completely served it's purpose for me. I really like that i have increased my daily activity and am motivated to meet all my goals (steps, miles, calories, sleep, etc) for the day. But, i am a total square and follow all the rules, so this sort of gadget is a total motivator for me. i didn't see the fuss abut them till i had one, now i am hooked.
  • ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I have a Vivofit. Bought it to get a better idea of how many calories I was actually burning throughout the day. It hasn't really helped much in this regard. I don't know if it's just wildly inaccurate but I'm not losing eating under what it says I burn. Also not a fan that it doesn't track step activity other than walking. However, I do like that it links to MFP, I also like that hooks up to a HRM. I do like keeping track of how much I'm moving through the day, I find it does get me up off my *kitten* if I haven't met my step goal for the day or if the red line is showing. And the step challenges are fun. It's motivating.
  • _Josee_
    _Josee_ Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit one that I got 2 years ago. It was collecting dust and I got it out last week. I've realise that I'm burning less (excluding my running) that I thought I did, which explain why I wasn't losing weight eating at a deficit (I was in fact eating at maintenance).

I don't know what the others do, but I like it. I remember getting it mostly because it wasn't a rubber band (not very nice with dress clothes). I can just tuck it in my jeans pocket or in my bra.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    Options
    I have a fitbit one that I got 2 years ago. It was collecting dust and I got it out last week. I've realise that I'm burning less (excluding my running) that I thought I did, which explain why I wasn't losing weight eating at a deficit (I was in fact eating at maintenance).

I don't know what the others do, but I like it. I remember getting it mostly because it wasn't a rubber band (not very nice with dress clothes). I can just tuck it in my jeans pocket or in my bra.

Fancy clothes, see?
  • TheBrolympus
    TheBrolympus Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit flex and use it off and one to get an idea on my total calories burned across a week or two. I wish I had waited and got the Vivofit because all my other devices are Garmin but no way I would buy another one of these when I have one that already works.
  • TheBrolympus
    TheBrolympus Posts: 586 Member
    Options

Fancy clothes, see?

It would clash with her fancy dress shorts.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    Options

Fancy clothes, see?

HDmwzcVl.png
  • _Josee_
    Options

Fancy clothes, see?

You are all jealous that I am fancy and you are not!
  • _Josee_
    Options

Fancy clothes, see?

HDmwzcVl.png

lmao!
  • ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options

Fancy clothes, see?

HDmwzcVl.png

lmao!
    Dying laughing. Seriously.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options

Fancy clothes, see?

HDmwzcVl.png
    OMG that is funny.