knees and crossfit??

Options
harrellap
harrellap Posts: 17 Member
I have really bad osteoarthritis in my right knee and I am really struggling with the squats. My doc doesn't want me to even do squats but I really like my cross fit work outs. What are your options? I really need some motivation to stick with it.

Replies

• kota4bye
    kota4bye Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Airsquats?

You could scale them to a target or box squat. Find a decent range of motion without pain and start there.

Are you going to box? Ask a coach to help you scale them comfortably...if you are just starting, they will get easier/more comfortable as you gain strength.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Look at some rehband knee sleeves as well. I am not yet arthritic, but it's not far off. I've had quite few people recommend them to help keep your knees warm and supported during leg work.

If you are on Facebook look up the CF Masters group. Lots of great resources there including several Games athletes.
  • sayhitostephz
    sayhitostephz Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I have had osteoarthritis in both my knees for many years - the only thing that has helped me is sticking with Crossfit. Before I started Crossfit about a year ago, my knees hurt all day, everyday. They were swollen constantly and I usually ended up icing them at the end of every day because of the pain. When I started Crossfit, I could not get full range of motion on the air squats and my knees actually got worse for the first few months. I went to an ortho doc and he put me in PT, but I mostly did more of what I was already doing in CF (squats, stretching, etc). Just sticking with it, my knees just started getting better and better (I'm assuming from building the muscle around the knee joint). Now I am completely pain free except one legged movements like lunges and going down the stairs. I also started wearing knee sleeves recently for heavy squats. It's all anecdotal, but I believe CF has been the thing to help my knees. Also, helps that I've lost about 35 lbs during the course of the last year doing CF. Good luck!
  • Quinnstinct
    Quinnstinct Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    What are air squats? I stopped going to crossfit because of knee pain and learned I have arthritis in both knees (yay at 35) and haven't gone back for fear of pain/injury. Now it's hard to go up and down stairs and sometimes get up- I know working out, losing weight, and being more active will help so I'm so glad this was posted. Can you actually work through pain to the point you are strong enough to do exercises correctly?
  • bostonwolf
    Options
    just doing a bodyweight squat, that's all they mean by air squats.

If properly done squats should not be hurting your knees.
  • kimmae17
    kimmae17 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    start at low weight and go slow making sure your form is on point. I have had knee problems for year and the ONLY thing that has helped me if increasing my strength of the muscles around my knees. You just have to be careful while you do it!

I squat as heavy as I can without discomfort in my knee. and that number keeps increasing!
  • bostonwolf
    Options
    I just was doing my protein/fish oil order on Puritan and decided to try glucosamine/chondroiton again. It is supposed to be a joint supplement. I've used it in the past and I'm not sure it does any good, but I'm going to give it at try for a few months and see how it goes.
  • sayhitostephz
    sayhitostephz Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    just doing a bodyweight squat, that's all they mean by air squats.

If properly done squats should not be hurting your knees.

With my arthritis, bending my knee AT ALL would hurt my knees. Even now, I can get below parallel, but I still do not have full range of motion in my knee. Also, with the arthritis came grinding in my knees and bone spurs which also affect any bending of the knee, so even the most perfect form on a squat will cause pain in the knee of someone with arthritis.