Warm-up help

Options
Started Stronglifts but am confused on warm up reps. Do warm up reps count as part of my 5 sets or do I do the warm up reps then 5 sets at weight? According to warmupreps.com if I am squatting 90 lbs this is what I should do:
2x5 45 lbs (Bar)
1x5 45 lbs (Bar)
1x3 50 lbs (2.5)
1x2 70 lbs (10 2.5)
5x5 90 lbs (2x10 2.5)
So do I do this and move on to bench press or do this and then do 5 sets of 5 reps at 90lbs?

Replies

• katro111
    katro111 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Your 5x5 @ 90 is your working weight, so no, you don't need to do ANOTHER 5x5 @ 90. What you typed out would be your entire squat routine (warmup sets + working set) for that day's workout. :smile:
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Wow, that's a LOT of volume for a warm-up.

I like Wendler's progression better. I think it's something like (based off of 1RM)
    45% x 5
    50% x 5
    60% x 3

When getting to heavier weights I'll sometimes add a set of about 8 with the bar first

More concretely if I was to squat 160 for 5x5 my warm-up would look like this:
    45x8
    95x5
    115x5
    135x3

I guess when you get to much heavier weight the extra warm-up sets might be useful, but at this point I think you're just exhausting yourself for no good reason with that much warming up
  • Changeisachoice
    Changeisachoice Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info. I was thinking that would be ALOT of lifting if you were to do the "warm up" and a 5x5 set. Wendlers progression looks interesting as well. May try it both ways and see what works better for me.
    I just started the program 3 weeks ago so not lifting alot of weight at this point.
  • suremeansyes
    suremeansyes Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    On the SL5x5 android app, Medhi has it to where you can upgrade the app to include a warmup routine too, I use that. Much less volume than the one suggested by the website you posted. I would be exhausted...lol.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Yah that is a lot of volume...my warmup for all weights are based on percentages usually

1x5bar
    1x4@40%
    1x3@55%
    1x2@60%
    ...up to 1x1@75%

you don't want to tire out before working set...
  • Changeisachoice
    Changeisachoice Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    On the SL5x5 android app, Medhi has it to where you can upgrade the app to include a warmup routine too, I use that. Much less volume than the one suggested by the website you posted. I would be exhausted...lol.

Do you have the droid or Iphone app? I cant find on my iphone where to upgrade.
  • kcmcd
    kcmcd Posts: 239 Member
    Options

Same.
  • suremeansyes
    suremeansyes Posts: 962 Member
    Options

Same.

It's on Droid. Medhi says Apple is coming soon. Probably waiting for approval or something.