Introductions

Options
abs0830
abs0830 Posts: 319 Member
So this may be a very small group so I kept it open in case others would like to join us on our journey.

Please introduce yourselves to the group with your goal for the next 10 days (thinking that's a good amount of time to start and we can continue if we want).

I'm Abby-abs0830. I do great keeping up with exercise and even though I'm a night person have become someone who works out in the morning. Where I struggle is nutrition. I do try, but sometimes I just want those chips or fries or cookie or whatever. I do enjoy fresh "clean eating" type foods, but it's not always what I want or what's available. My goal is to eat clean 90% of the time. I have a few favorite recipes and I think it'd be great to share a few during this process and also to help motivate each other. We can totally do this!

Replies

• LitaEstep
    LitaEstep Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi I am Lita. I struggle constantly with clean eating because everything bad for you tastes soo good. :) I try but I live alone and I believe I have started junk eating out of boredom. All support is welcome to regain my life.
  • 2Chaotic
    2Chaotic Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hi. I'm Maria. I signed up for MFP just three days ago. My goal is to lose weight, lower my blood pressure and improve my overall health and I want to do it in a slow and healthy manner - and I want the changes to be permanent. So this board is perfect for me.

I love fresh vegies and healthy food but am usually too lazy to prepare it. That is my downfall. Well, that plus an endless appetite, guilt about leaving anything on the plate and throwing food out, a tendency towards emotional eating, a sedentary lifestyle, etc. etc.etc.

I have found, in the past, that if I was getting enough nutrients in the day I was less likely to crave the bad stuff. I'm hoping that MFP will help me keep track of what I'm eating to make sure I'm meeting all my daily nutrient requirements, and that through this board I can pick up some useful tips for clean eating.

My goals for the next 10 days are:
    - to establish a routine where recording every morsel of food I eat becomes a firmly entrenched habit
    - to limit my coffee intake to 3 cups per week, replacing it with herbal teas
    - to limit my eating out or takeway meals to 2 for the whole 10 days and to be selective in what I do purchase.
    - to reduce the amount of dairy that I eat, especially cheese, by one third
  • Soggynode
    Soggynode Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    Hi, my name is Dale. Like a large majority of people on MFP I am trying to lose weight and excercise. Becoming a healthier person is certainly a personal goal. I bigger and more important goal for me is to learn how to feed my family better foods.

I am the primary cook in the house and so our nutrional intake kinda falls to me. I have two teenage daughters and I really want them to know how to eat clean healthy foods when they eventually go out on there own. My wife needs to eat gluten-free foods so eating cleaner and simpler foods certainly would be better for her also.

Hopefully this group attacts an active and engaged membership because learning to eat clean healthier foods is just as important to me as losing weight.
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    i eat pretty clean 95% of the time, and i have a few suggestions.

i do include potato chips in my diet - archer farms light kettle chips are lower in fat and much lower in sodium, and i love garden of eatin organic blue corn chips, which have a robust flavor and again not that much fat. i do measure my servings on a food scale. i have them with fage 0% yogurt mixed with pepper, dill (lots of both) and 1 tsp of newman's light italian. also sometimes i cream in some avocado for a tasty and healthy guacamole. the guac is also really good with la reina baked tortilla chips, which are fat free.

i eat amy's frozen gluten free (i'm allergic to wheat) burritos with a Tb of daisy light sour cream. tasty, easy to make, no chemicals and within my calorie budget. broccoli is always nice added to things, and quaker oats is the king of food that's good for you, cheap and filling. not only is it very tasty cooked with non-fat milk instead of water and then sweetened with stevia, but it's very easy to adjust the serving size to meet your calorie requirements.

i also eat mashed potatoes from a box - sprouts or whole foods brand so no chemicals. i make them with non-fat milk for protein, also, then add 1 to 2 Tb of light 0% fage yogurt for the sourish taste, and i eat them with steamed broccoli with a little newman's light italian. sometimes i'll add a little salt substitute to the mashed potatoes or go crazy and have some light butter mixed in. again, easy to control portion size, and yummy - i sometimes dip each bite of broccoli that's got the dressing on it in the mashed potatoes so i can taste it all in one bite.
  • bmccartney499
    bmccartney499 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, my name is BJ. I'm currently training for Sprint Triathlons (swim 750 meters, bike 12 miles, run 3.1 miles) with the goal of graduating to Olympic distance triathlons next year. My wife is (mostly) gluten free and I have an intolerance to dairy that I listen to sometimes, and we've been relatively clean eaters for a couple of years with increased focus this year. I eat very well during the weeks where I can regiment my meals and intake easier and then end up giving it all back over the weekend when I'm doing projects or going to meet family... A cycle I'm sure many can relate to. I'll be sure to contribute meal plans or recipes along with everyone else!
  • karenMcMillan0712
    karenMcMillan0712 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Hello My Name is Karen-I am new to clean eating but learning everyday. Use to buy boxed instant oatmeal and today learned what was truly in it.So I switched to old fashioned. To date lost 16 pounds in one month. I feel so much better as well. Glad we have a place to exchange Ideas
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I do great keeping up with exercise and even though I'm a night person have become someone who works out in the morning. Where I struggle is nutrition. I do try, but sometimes I just want those chips or fries or cookie or whatever. I do enjoy fresh "clean eating" type foods, but it's not always what I want or what's available.

I could have written this!

Hi all, I'm Jamie. I know a lot of folks say that your fitness program starts with a good diet, but for me, my diet starts with a good fitness program. For some reason, it's always easier for me to make better food choices when I have some sort of regular exercise program I'm doing. I've really struggled the past couple of weeks with food and exercise due to some life stuff that came up. However, I'm ready to get back to work now and lose the 7 pounds I gained back.

Over the past couple months, I've been trying to eat a little cleaner, but I'm having trouble staying with it. Hopefully being in a group will help. I've found some recipes on Pinterest and have gotten better and shopping around the perimeter of the grocery store, so we'll see what happens!

I look forward to working with you all!
  • Novus175
    Novus175 Posts: 80
    Options
    I eat wheat free and low carb (<100g/day) and my meals consist mostly of meat, dairy, veggies, and fruit. I rarely eat anything from a box, can, or bottle (the primary exception being condiments, salad dressings, sauces, etc.). I love to cook and I love to try new recipes so I'm not even tempted by frozen dinners, box meals, etc.

I look forward to learning about others' perspectives on "clean eating" and sharing recipes. Thanks for starting this group!
  • runningmaria
    runningmaria Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi! My name is Maria also. :)
    I just can't seem to get my act together this time around. I still have the "baby" weight but my baby is 5 years old. I find I really hate weighing, measuring, and tracking my food. I just want to be able to eat. But obviously that's not getting me where I want to be. I would say I'm new to the tile of "clean eating" but I do eat lots of clean foods already. We try to avoid as much processed food as seems reasonable and I like to cook at home. Exercise is so much easier for me than eating.
    My goals for the next ten days are...to log everything I eat and to eat a fruit or vegetable with every meal.

Thanks for starting this group!
  • kerickson86
    kerickson86 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    My name is Katie. I have turned into a pickier eater since having kids and want to be healthy. I eat only organic veggies, organic fruits, non gmo foods, grass fed meat, organic chicken, wild caught fish, I get my eggs from a local farm and they are fed organic omega 3 fodder feed, not junk! I am picky about the things I eat and what they have been fed! I have a pretty decent diet and plan to stick with it, of course I have my occasional junk, I am addicted to Nut thin pecan crackers and eat Annie's cheddar bunnies because of my kids :) I try to "eat clean" and feel organic and non gmo foods are important for my family and I. I love to exercise and shoot for about 300 minutes a week, I run and walk at an incline, some strength training and stationary bike. I still want to lose 8 lbs and feel eating clean will get me there eventually! I already lost 37 lbs and am a normal weight of 142 and 5'7, just looking to keep going and others to motivate me, as well as motivate others!
  • marricurt
    marricurt Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,
    I'm marri. I'm currently recovering from cancer surgery and am really trying to focus on my health. I'm also a mum of four and a nurse.. So I have a large, busy household. I love to cook and normally cook from scratch anyway, so I am looking forward to sharing ideas and fine tuning my cooking. While we tend to eat mostly unprocessed food in our house (ready made for six people in Australia is expensive!) my kids and my husband would probably start a mutiny if I took away everything so for us it's a balance of about 80% clean with 20% treats like bake at home chips, store bought bread and the occasional ice cream/dessert. Looking forward to getting to know everyone. :)
  • clmilczarek
    clmilczarek Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi My name is Cindie and I love clean eating...I have lost my way in recent weeks and was hoping that this group will help to support me on my cleaning eating lifestyle change :flowerforyou:
    I eat non-processed foods and I limit my grains, fruit and dairy.
    Can't wait to meet others who are also enjoying the benefits of clean eating.
  • Mselenes
    Mselenes Posts: 28
    Options
    Hi I am Maria also (:
    Welll I am 19 with twin girls I currently weight 150 goal is 125
    I have trouble eating clean I love chips and soda they are my downfalliwant to
    Start learning to eat cleaner and make delicious recipes for me and my family
  • ShalaraQ
    ShalaraQ Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I'm Kristen. I am a stay at home mom of two - a 10YO son who has special needs (autism spectrum and sensory processing issues) and a precocious 5YO daughter. I'm 44 years old and have had a weight problem since I hit puberty. I've got a number of medical issues - PCOS, Diabetes, Hypothyroidism, etc.; and sometimes it feels like I have to work twice and hard to lose half the weight. At my very heaviest I was 375 pounds and at my lowest I got to 273; at 310 atm.

After 2 decades of "pre-diabetes" / "insulin-resistance", in the last 18 months my sugars have risen at an exponential rate. I'm already on two different medications for my blood sugars, and I gotta get it under control. Processed sugars have always been too tempting too me, especially in liquid form. I've just recently given up my Pepsi habit completely, and it just makes sense to keep cleaning up the diet, removing the processed foods, and getting really healthy as opposed to just losing weight.

I also have moved towards clean eating for the possible benefit for my special needs child. There is always anecdotal evidence in the ASD community that eating this way or that way will make a difference. Eating clean will remove most of the glutamate from my families diet, which is a current hot topic. I don't know if he will benefit from it in that way, but eating clean won't hurt him and could help him.

Kristen
  • TG683
    TG683 Posts: 41
    Options
    Hi all, I'm Trish and Im from Ireland. I started clean eating about a month ago, when I was told to avoid yeast and dairy due to various symptoms of intolerance. I am finding it a challenge but doable most of the time. I am a teacher and off work for Summer hols so plenty of time to prepare clean meals etc. I love running and go to bootcamp classes so I find the exercise part easy. The most difficult part is when I go out for a coffee/dinner etc. I find it difficult to resist 'nice things'. Hopefully we can support and encourage each other :)
  • Miaaawlicious
    Miaaawlicious Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone!

I'm Audeline, I am 26 and English is not my mothertongue :p (I hope it is ok).
    I have decided to join because I struggle with clean eating T_T. In the past, I used to eat pizza, chips and to drink Coke everyday...
    Now I try to eat clean (no processed food, no sodas...) but I am very weak when it comes to say "No!" to good food or alcohol, especially when I am with other people. I have not managed to lose any weight since I am here (in fact, I have even put on weight :/). I have build a workouts routine (I do Insanity now) and I have really improved there (I do sport every day now). But my eating habits are still a disaster.
    My goals for the next 10 days are:
    - no alcohol
    - prepare my meals in advance so I am not tempted to use processed food
    - not use the calories from my workouts as an excuse to eat more
    I can't wait to see the results :)
  • Danyell1205
    Danyell1205 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hello, my name is Danyell. I am 36 years old, and a mother of a wonderful 13-year-old. I know this sounds like an excuse but between working full-time and going to school that at night I have trouble finding time to exercise. Correction I have trouble finding the energy to exercise. My friends call me the skinny fat girl because I do have a small frame but I have fat that covers it ????. I am 5'2 and I'm weighing in about 140 pounds now. I join the group to hopefully get some motivation. Good luck everyone!

I have no friends but feel free to add me hopefully we can motivate each other!
  • jenniwain
    jenniwain Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I am Jenni. I decided to quit sugar some time ago and have had a couple of false starts, so I started again on Monday this week. I am spending this week cutting out / down on as many obvious sources of sugar as I can. So far, no cakes, chocolate or cookies - usually I cannot go a day without "a treat". I have had a few wobbly moments, but drinking lots of water and not leaving the house unnecessarily seems to be helping....... I don´t usually have any problem doing exercise, but recently haven´t been doing much except . So, Monday I walked 30mins, Tuesday yoga class, yesterday 45 mins pilates video class and today back to yoga....

I am looking forward to learning more about "clean eating" and hearing about others peoples progress.

GAMBATTE!

(usually translated as "good luck" , but really means "do your best")
  • sunsoakeddreamer
    sunsoakeddreamer Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Katrina. I've been getting into clean eating over the past several months, with varying degrees of success. Still trying to work out what is realistic for us - my fiancé is tolerant of most of the changes I make but he still wants hotdogs and salty snacks and other processed food. I do the shopping and it's especially hard for me because I want to "treat" him to his favorite potato chips, but I can't help feeling like I'm giving him poison instead.
    My moto right now is "don't let perfect be the enemy of good" -- I tend to let one little hiccup ruin the rest of the day/week. Like Jenni, I've had some false starts breaking up with sugar. Right now I'm stepping down my sugars.
    My goals are to increase veggies to 5+ per day, get to the farmers market once a week, cut out the sugar, and to find a happy balance during the many celebrations coming up (we're getting married in August so there will be lots of indulgent food and drink around)
  • kerickson86
    kerickson86 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Anyone who had added me as a friend is welcome to start looking at my daily food, it is available for friends only. I havent been logging very well recently so I will start logging more :) It may not say on the log but any dairy I use is organic, I get farm fresh omega 3 eggs and grass fed meats, organic chicken, wild caught fish etc. Sometimes I log quickly and dont put it as organic etc. Any crackers I have are also non gmo, I do love nut thins for a snack, they are non gmo. I did log yesterday, and this morning. I can also share my exercise I am doing as well, just ask :) I didnt do cardio yesterday just some strength training, but I do a lot of cardio, it helps so much with energy and feeling good!