Hospital Bag

Options
tzig00
tzig00 Posts: 875 Member
I got yelled at by my doctor today because I'm 37 weeks along and still haven't packed the hospital bag. My problem is I don't have a clue as to what I should put in it. I didn't have one with my last baby because he came way too early and I don't remember my first one. I know I need clothes, but what kind of clothes, and do I need anything else like shampoo or anything?

Replies

• mommyrunning
    mommyrunning Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Except clothes the hospital usually provides most stuff for the baby including diapers. Here's my suggestions for the basics:

Cell phone w/ charger
    Camera
    Chapstick
    Lotion
    Hair ties
    socks
    change of clothes
    deodorant
    baby clothes- onesie, socks, and long sleeve shirt & pants
    pacifier (if you plan to use one)

*Don't forget baby's carseat

I am one of those who will pack tons of stuff inlcuding a nursing pillow, ipad, snack, etc

Here's a few sites with suggestions

http://www.hospitalbag.org/default.aspx
    http://www.babycenter.com/packing-for-the-hospital-or-birth-center
    http://www.babyzone.com/pregnancy/labor-and-delivery/packing-hospital-bag_70692
  • tiggerhammon
    tiggerhammon Posts: 2,211 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1073518-hospital-bag?hl=hospital+bag#posts-16888052

Don't f forget charger to cellphone and tablet

And, dont do what I did being too optimistic on what outfit you pack to wear home. I thought stretchy pants and T-shirt should do it... Nope, I was so bloated still when it was time to go home (even though I was in the hospital 6 days) that I had to send hubby home for a set of clothes that were bigger!
  • lisapr123
    lisapr123 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    If you suspect you'll have visitors.....bring reusable tote bags to bring gifts home in. Everyone brought gifts and I ended up talking the hospital into giving me a 2nd huge tote bag (they give them to new moms, filled with all kinds of stuff for baby) so I could pack all the gifts.

We didn't bring anything for baby. The hospital provided--and sent us home with--more than we could possibly need....including adorable handmade blankets and hats, a few onesie outfits, a weeks worth of diapers, first aid and grooming products,etc...

We brought a couple changes of clothes for each of us (I'm not the type to greet visitors in a hospital gown), our normal travel kit with toiletries, a camera, etc.... My mom made a "go bag" for us with snacks, quarters for the vending machines, a few menus for restaurants that delivered to the hospital, chocolates, mints, etc... I LOVED her bag of goodies! Turns out our hospital had a fully stocked "snack bar" for patients and support people so we had tons of food, but if your hospital doesn't provide that, I'd highly suggest bringing snacks. Some of our meals took nearly an hour and I'm the type that when I'm hungry....I'm hungry!!
  • kinkyslinky16
    kinkyslinky16 Posts: 1,470 Member
    Options
    Except clothes the hospital usually provides most stuff for the baby including diapers. Here's my suggestions for the basics:

Cell phone w/ charger
    Camera
    Chapstick
    Lotion
    Hair ties
    socks
    change of clothes
    deodorant
    baby clothes- onesie, socks, and long sleeve shirt & pants
    pacifier (if you plan to use one)

*Don't forget baby's carseat

I am one of those who will pack tons of stuff inlcuding a nursing pillow, ipad, snack, etc

Here's a few sites with suggestions

http://www.hospitalbag.org/default.aspx
    http://www.babycenter.com/packing-for-the-hospital-or-birth-center
    http://www.babyzone.com/pregnancy/labor-and-delivery/packing-hospital-bag_70692

You are the most helpful person ever. Suggesting a nursing pillow is an awesome idea. I had one but didn't bring it to the hospital with me. I think I will bring it this time around.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    With my 2nd and 3rd babies I went home the same day so didn't end up needing half of what i'd packed. Best to have too much though! Although someone can always bring stuff in that you've forgotten.

I'm in England, so you might be provided with stuff that we're not. After all, we don't have to pay to have a baby!

Anyway, I had:

A few babygros, scratch mitts, little hat, muslin squares, shawl
    Nappies
    Wipes
    Lansinoh cream
    Face wash, baby bottle of shampoo and conditioner, hairbrush etc
    Underwear
    Clothes for me (leggings and tops)
    PJs
    Maternity pads
    Phone/camera/iPad chargers
    Towel

My husband took snacks with our third but I didn't bother as I have relatively quick labours, and always throw up at some point!
  • janetay01
    janetay01 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    tzig00 - this is my first time so can't help you much with suggestions of what you need. But I do want to say - sorry for the yelling doctor - not sure how helpful that is when you are just not sure what you need to take - I think I might have yelled back!!

DawnieB - you make an interesting point. I too am in England - Burgess Hill so just along the coast from you! What 'stuff' do you get from a hospital in the UK? I read lots of posts of people saying that the hospital sent them home loaded with lots of useful freebies - but they are all in the US. From a practical point of view, should I be taking nappies, basic baby products, wipes etc? I'm not due till December so it's not an immediate problem but your comment below made me think!
  • meggwyn
    meggwyn Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I would pack flip flops just in case your feet are swollen when you leave. With my last pregnancy, I had no swelling beforehand, but due to all of the IV fluids, my feet and legs were super swollen afterwards for a good week and a half! Regular shoes would have never fit! lol
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    tzig00 - this is my first time so can't help you much with suggestions of what you need. But I do want to say - sorry for the yelling doctor - not sure how helpful that is when you are just not sure what you need to take - I think I might have yelled back!!

DawnieB - you make an interesting point. I too am in England - Burgess Hill so just along the coast from you! What 'stuff' do you get from a hospital in the UK? I read lots of posts of people saying that the hospital sent them home loaded with lots of useful freebies - but they are all in the US. From a practical point of view, should I be taking nappies, basic baby products, wipes etc? I'm not due till December so it's not an immediate problem but your comment below made me think!

My grandparents lived in Burgess Hill. My grandma sadly died in 2010 and my grandad's in a home in Hayward's Heath now.

You don't get much here. I had my first two in the Conquest in Hastings and my third in Eastbourne as it's a midwife unit now. They do give you stuff if you've not got it, but mainly you get left to it as it's so busy. I didn't stay in with no.2 and 3 and no.1 was in 2009. The crib thing had cupboards under it with cotton wool in. When you've given birth they give you a maternity pad. I took my own towel in as their ones are tiny. You get given a Bounty pack with little samples in of Sudocrem and lansinoh. You get meals of course. The Eastbourne meals looked quite nice. I had an omelette for lunch...the day I gave birth I was looking for the healthiest option lol.

They usually like you to use cotton wool and water, but for my 2nd and 3rd I took wipes. I stayed in 3 nights with my 1st as he wouldn't feed and kept being sick so they put him on IV antibiotics.

Take lots of maternity pads! And I'd take some antibacterial wipes for the bathroom as it's shared with other women who've just given birth!

Oh, and maternity wards are baking, so take cool clothes. Although I have one June and two May babies, so a warmer time of year.
  • asilmegan34
    asilmegan34 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Definitely bring the nursing pillow (and make sure yours is good). to nurse my daughter who was 9.5 pounds, I had to stick pillow after pillow on top to be able to nurse her. Also, my nursing pillow sucked so I recommend a nice one because it helps tremendously with back/neck strain.

Stuff I wish I brought...

Comfy pants for me!
    Boppy (the pillow)
    HEALTHY snacks
    makeup mirror
    flip flops (though my next child is due in February so that probably wont happen)
  • mommyrunning
    mommyrunning Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Check with your hospital and see if they have a webpage for labor & delivery and if they do tours. That will allow you to get lots of info and be prepared. My first two were delivered at military hospitals which didn't have as many options so I am excited about all the extras this time around with a different hospital.

For example my hospital offers:

•Complimentary mommy massage
    •Complimentary first photo and video of baby
    •Gourmet meal for mom and her guest
    •Sleep accommodations for a support person
  • dandelyon
    dandelyon Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Chargers
    Phone/table/laptop
    Camera
    phone number list (which I totally didn't use)
    Clothes to go home in
    I happen to own crocs >.> so I used them in the hospital, as they are easy to clean germs off of and fit my gigantic swollen feet
    I birthed in my comfy nursing bra and I had packed a few of the nursing tanks, which I'm glad I had with me.
    Undies with a high waist line

I went to Target and bought a bunch of travel size stuff for me and my husband, as well as some extra makeup essentials.

I packed all the baby stuff right into the carseat since I knew I wouldn't even use it until he was born, and packed my bag just for me.

I would also keep your breast pump in the car if you're going to be nursing, just in case. It's probably not something you'll need so I wouldn't try to lug it up while you're in labor.
  • jls8209
    jls8209 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I keep forgetting that I'll need to pack a bag, I seriously need to write it down, or hope my midwife brings it up at a later appointment! Just about 30 weeks, so I still have time.

With my first I followed the list from the hospital and barely used anything. I was told I needed to provide my own pads, so I packed a bunch only to find a fully stocked bathroom that was replenished daily. They also provided diapers, even though they were on the list of items to bring.

Here's what I packed and actually used:

Comfy clothes for the hospital stay - yoga pants, tank tops, nursing bra, crappy granny panties (ones I didn't care about getting messy), zip up hoodie, socks, slip on shoes (the floor was grimy!)

Spare outfit for dad

Hair elastics/bobby pins

Travel sized shampoo/soap, plus hairdryer/flat iron and make up (just because I just had a baby it didn't mean I wanted to LOOK like I just had a baby!)

Lip balm

Snacks

2-3 undershirts/sleepers/hats/scratch mitts for baby

CAMERA!!! bring to the delivery room!

Cell phone

Car seat

Someone else mentioned that the maternity wards are kept quite hot. After delivery ** I ** was sweating like crazy, especially at night. It was 100% hormones, though. DH nearly froze to death at night and all of the nurses were wearing sweaters. Keep that in mind when choosing what clothes to pack! You may want light layers for yourself, and your DH may need a sweater.

ETA - If you do need to bring your own pads, buy the thickest ones you can find! I was super sore after delivery and those thick pads the hospital supplied looked awful at first, but I really appreciated the added cushioning!
  • tzig00
    tzig00 Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    You all are great! I packed some stuff last night and I'm wearing dresses there and coming home just in case I get a case of the bloats. I'm charging my mp3 player right now for music. I did forget a lot that was on your lists though so I'm going to have to do some more packing once I get home. Thanks much!
  • kalyrra
    kalyrra Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I didn't use half of what I took to the hospital the first time! I'm going to pack lighter this time. We only live 10 minutes away, so if for some reason I need something I can send hubby for it. If you live quite a distance, you might want to just pack essentials in one bag to take inside, and pack extra "just in case" stuff in a separate bag to leave in the car.

As far as freebies... I think each hospital is different, so you might want to check with them ahead of time or just bring anything you might want for baby just in case. Our hospital sent home the rest of the small pack of diapers they opened, a hat, an aspirator, some gauze pads and Vaseline for my son's circumcision care. I got to take the rest of the hospital pads and container of witch hazel wipes with me as well (once they're open, they're not allowed to use with others for sanitary reasons). They were nice and made up a couple extra ice packs for me, too! If your hospital doesn't do this, all it consists of is a pad soaked in water and frozen in a small baggie to place on top of your pad. It really helps the swelling and feels great on the sore bits!

As far as what I used:

travel shower items/cosmetics/toothbrush, etc..., a hair tie or two!!
    2 changes of clothes (we only stay 24 hrs for a normal vaginal delivery)
    a night gown that I didn't mind trashing from all the blood overnight
    yoga pants for when visitors came
    panties you also don't mind trashing - I suggest granny panties because they'll support your now empty tummy and you won't feel as if you're falling out all over the place!
    a nursing pillow
    a robe
    Flip flops for the shower if you need.
    Lemon drops or candy to suck on. They should have ice for you to suck on as well, you're going to want it! Your throat will probably be dry/sore from the labor breathing exercises. I also suggest lip balm if your lips get chapped.
    A water bottle
    Camera (unless you plan on just using your phone)
    An extra bag/tote for bringing home gifts and the hospital extras
    I brought 2 outfits for LO (good thing, since he peed through the first one before we even left) He hated the hospital hat, but was fine with the one I brought him.

Car seat!!

My hubby stayed overnight, so we packed him a small bag as well. Don't forget snacks/drinks for him! Or at least plenty of change for a vending machine. The hospital provided meals for me while I stayed, but not him... he had to pay at the cafeteria or go out to a local food spot. He also brought his own pillow cuz he's picky about it. :laugh:

I took my phone and charger, and my music player (which I played for all of 15 minutes before it got on my nerves... lol) I wore my husband's slippers home (my feet were still too swollen for shoes)

If you're not comfortable going bra-less during labor/delivery, then make sure you take a sports bra or at least one without an underwire. They won't let you keep those on just in case they have to take you into surgery, etc...

That's all I really remember at the moment.

Oh, but I did have a notification chain set up. I called my parents and DH's parents when LO was born, and then they were in charge of telling extended family, etc... so I didn't have to spend hours on the phone when all I wanted to do was nap!

Also, something that really irritated the life out of me: If you're going to post the announcement and a pic on FB, make sure you either do it before family is there, or specify to them that they need to wait until your announcement to post any pics! My sister in law was taking pics with her phone, and I didn't think anything of it until suddenly my husband's phone started going crazy with congratulatory texts.... I was livid because we hadn't had a chance to make our own announcement. I didn't say anything to her, but this time around she's not allowed in the room until after I've made it! :laugh:
  • jls8209
    jls8209 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Also, something that really irritated the life out of me: If you're going to post the announcement and a pic on FB, make sure you either do it before family is there, or specify to them that they need to wait until your announcement to post any pics! My sister in law was taking pics with her phone, and I didn't think anything of it until suddenly my husband's phone started going crazy with congratulatory texts.... I was livid because we hadn't had a chance to make our own announcement. I didn't say anything to her, but this time around she's not allowed in the room until after I've made it! :laugh:

YES!!!! We had a strict "no Facebook" rule with my dad/aunt/sister in law (the only close family members on FB at the time), and I also made my wall so nobody could post any "congrats" messages and spill the beans. It was OUR news to share, and we wanted our family/close friends to hear from us first before letting the FB world know about baby's arrival. Even now we're still finnicky about FB. 20 months later there are still no pics of DD on there except one shot of her from behind picking at the xmas tree last year (no face). We're quite private when it comes to what we have on FB! I'm quite certain half the friends I have on there don't even know I'm 30 week along with #2 (the important ones know, though)!

We would have set that rule either way, but it was partly sparked due to our sister in law's actions when their last baby was born. I logged onto FB early one morning and saw she had posted a pic of their new baby, yet nobody had called us to let us know she'd been born! DH was livid that he had to find out through me/FB that his brother had a new baby and his wife was too impatient to wait a few hours before posting online (given the time stamp of the pic and how spread out her/our families are across the country, I suspect her siblings found out about their new niece via FB as well... We're only 1 hr behind, but her family is several hours back). To each their own, but we didn't think it was a very good move. :ohwell: