When to say "no" to coaches?

chelsfelt
chelsfelt Posts: 39 Member
Hello all! I'm new to crossfit (like just finished intro classes and did first WOD today) and I'm trying to figure out when it's ok to say "no" to my coaches. They're all very motivating, but they think I can lift more than I can. I'm in decent cardio shape, but not in lifting shape in the least. I was a really good athlete in high school and I understand and know my own body very VERY well. I know when something is going to be too heavy for me to complete safely.

For instance, I was told to do 20lb kettlebells for 1 arm row backs today... 10 reps each arm x4. I knew that 15lbs would even be a challenge, and I picked that weight up instead. They keep telling me I am selling myself short by doing low weight.... but again I really know myself and I want to take it slow while I'm learning all these unfamiliar movements and building base strength.

My big problem is that I'm super competitive and I WANT to be able to do the weights, and i don't want to say no... Sooo how often do you more experienced people say "No" to your coaches? To be fair to my coaches, maybe they don't think I know myself that well? I might be lifting featherweight stuff, but I'm a small girl who hasn't lifted anything in 7 years, and I'd like to avoid getting injured.

Advice? Comments? Friend requests welcome

Replies

• kota4bye
    kota4bye Posts: 809 Member
    Pick up heavy things, move them, and put them back down.

You just started. How many women do you think they have seen "just start'? Listen to their advice. Go 20lbs...maybe you can't get all the sets unbroken....big deal, next time you'll get closer.

Its about pushing yourself, quit being a sissy and pull your skirt up.

So yeah, my advice is to listen to your coaches and quit trying to sandbag. :)
  • notyouraveragetalia
    notyouraveragetalia Posts: 223 Member

You just started. How many women do you think they have seen "just start'? Listen to their advice. Go 20lbs...maybe you can't get all the sets unbroken....big deal, next time you'll get closer.

I can't agree with this.

As you mentioned, you know your body, and you are mindful of your capabilities. I've done WOD's where I wished I had put 5 more lbs on the bar. I've done WOD's where I wished I had taken 5 lbs off. At the end of the day, has it hindered my progress? Nope! I think it all balances out in the end. Avoiding injury and performing the lift perfectly should be your first priority. I think you will find your coach will start to trust your judgement once you form a rapport and WOD consistently. Good Luck and keep up the great work!
  • learning2fly4
    learning2fly4 Posts: 303 Member
    its a 50-50 mix of both of the answers above me.

Best thing to do is go to and open gym time where its not a structured, and "play around". You might surprise yourself when its a no pressure situation. Plus as you mentioned you can get more comfortable with the movements.

I did 80lb snatch complexes as a 7th set (1 warm up, 5 progressives from 55 up, and the 80) the other night per my coach, after i scoffed at the suggestion because it was too heavy. Surprised myself for sure when it went up way to easy still.

Good luck! just remember its all about Balance.
  • ascrit
    ascrit Posts: 770 Member

Are you being serious here? I find this kind of advice to be harmful.

To the OP, the most important thing to do is listen to your body and be safe in all your movements. Since you are just starting out your main focus should be on form over weight and your coaches should be encouraging that mindset. If all they are doing is pushing you to lift more, more, more than you are at a gym with bad coaches.

Be honest with your coaches and tell them how you feel before class. Remember, you are paying them so THEY work for YOU. You're the boss in this case.
  • SarahxApple
    SarahxApple Posts: 166 Member
    It's about balance, yes you know your body but the coaches are more objective and they are watching you progress. I don't watn to sound accusatory but did you even try the 20lb KB? Or did you automatically dismiss it as too heavy? I have even changed weights in the middle of a WOD (my coach has changed my weights too) as I over estimated. There is no shame in trying and having to go slightly lower.

More than anything this sounds like a lack of confidence in yourself and in your coaches as you don't trust them to advise you properly, you should probably address why that is. I have absolute faith that my coaches won't allow me to injure myself, are you in really big classes? Maybe do what learning2fly4 suggested and go to open gym or practice somewhere else? Go to a class you know is quieter as you may feel like you get more one-on-one? The classes I go to are 6am and there is sometimes only 3 of us so it's great for that.

As for being a small girl I am just under 5'3" and I am less than 130lbs, like you cardio is fine with me, but I am new to lifting and I although I swam and ran as a teen I never seemed to develop much muscle on my upper body.

Most of all best of luck in gaining and improving you'll be surprised and how quick the changes are.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Hello all! I'm new to crossfit (like just finished intro classes and did first WOD today) and I'm trying to figure out when it's ok to say "no" to my coaches. They're all very motivating, but they think I can lift more than I can. I'm in decent cardio shape, but not in lifting shape in the least. I was a really good athlete in high school and I understand and know my own body very VERY well. I know when something is going to be too heavy for me to complete safely.

For instance, I was told to do 20lb kettlebells for 1 arm row backs today... 10 reps each arm x4. I knew that 15lbs would even be a challenge, and I picked that weight up instead. They keep telling me I am selling myself short by doing low weight.... but again I really know myself and I want to take it slow while I'm learning all these unfamiliar movements and building base strength.

My big problem is that I'm super competitive and I WANT to be able to do the weights, and i don't want to say no... Sooo how often do you more experienced people say "No" to your coaches? To be fair to my coaches, maybe they don't think I know myself that well? I might be lifting featherweight stuff, but I'm a small girl who hasn't lifted anything in 7 years, and I'd like to avoid getting injured.

Advice? Comments? Friend requests welcome

I'm going to disagree with kota. You seem like you have a good idea of what you are capable of, more so than most people. Stick with weights you are comfortable with but when you DO learn those movements, start testing yourself a bit more.

My only fear would be that you'd get in a rut of always scaling even when it's not necessary.

Last time we did Grace I scaled it to 115 (Rx is 135) and the second I started I knew I should have just done Rx. They key is that when you feel like that, make CERTAIN you do it RX the next time that movement comes up.

Focus on form and technique first and foremost and the weight and intensity will come.
  • chelsfelt
    Thank you all!

I actually did a set on both sides with the 20 before switching to the 15. About halfway through on both sides I started needing to throw myself to get it back instead of just using back and arm muscles, and that's why I switched. I'm about to head out to my WOD for today, and I think it's honestly a combination of what everyone has said.

I don't think I'm being a sissy, because like I said I really really understand body mechanics, I've had injuries before where I've had to use other muscle groups to compensate, yada yada. I'm not inexperienced, just horribly out of shape.

I think I need to buck up, get some confidence, and open a rapport with my coaches starting tonight so they know that I know what I'm doing. I'll absolutely try the heavier weights, but I don't want them to think I'm being weak or whiny by going down in weight when I know for certain I can't use the heavier weight safely... yet. I'm sure in a few weeks I WILL need their input and will need to challenge myself more, but for the first several WODs I need to trust myself and need the coaches to trust me too.

Thanks everyone!!
  • kota4bye
    kota4bye Posts: 809 Member
    I may have been a little rough there, but you didn't say that you actually tried the 20s and then scaled back. A little difference there. I'm willing to bet you have a purse that weighs more than 15 lbs.

After warm up, while you're setting your weights up try a few reps with your estimated scale. Its a good a way to see if you've done the math right. Like somebody else said, there is no harm in dropping weight in middle of a WOD either.

Have you seen the meme that says "If it doesn't scare you a little, it's not heavy enough"?

Anyway, good job on working out! If you don't have a logbook yet, keep one and track your WODs and weights, make notes about attempting so many sets with 20 and then dropping to 15. It will help give you starting points and scaling ideas.
  • I relate to this a lot. Being a bigger person with a lot of muscle mass, I'm one of the stronger girls at my box. People know this, and will sometimes give me crap if I'm not lifting as much as they think I should.

It's a balancing act. Back in 2012, after 2 months of CrossFit, my back felt off, just a mild pain. I took a couple days off and it felt better, so I went on pushing myself the next several months. Then last June, I was bed ridden the whole weekend, and in a lot of pain. Took a few weeks off and got back to CrossFit, but whenever I'd go and any sort of lift was involved, I'd end up with a sore back.

I know some people are probably thinking my form must be poor, but it's not. One of my coaches actually told me he was jealous of my squat form. My injury was due to overuse. My back MRI showed multiple facet joint effusions, which is fluid collection in the spinal joints. My back didn't truly recover until I took a full 2 months off when I was traveling abroad.

Long story short, you know your body better than anyone else. You should definitely take your coaches suggestions and push yourself, but don't worry about it if you're doing your best and someone gives you crap. They're right, I'm sure you COULD lift more, but what I've learned is just because you could doesn't mean you should. Those small, stabilizing muscles in your back or around your knee and shoulder need time to get strong!
  • chelsfelt
    We use Wodify at my gym, so we automatically log times/weights/exercises at the end of each class and can review them whenever we want to. Pretty cool. I like that part of my gym, too. I didn't even know we had it until several workouts in. It calculates your 1RM and your percentages from there. Everything amuses and impresses me in this new sport lol
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Thank you all!

I actually did a set on both sides with the 20 before switching to the 15. About halfway through on both sides I started needing to throw myself to get it back instead of just using back and arm muscles, and that's why I switched. I'm about to head out to my WOD for today, and I think it's honestly a combination of what everyone has said.

I don't think I'm being a sissy, because like I said I really really understand body mechanics, I've had injuries before where I've had to use other muscle groups to compensate, yada yada. I'm not inexperienced, just horribly out of shape.

I think I need to buck up, get some confidence, and open a rapport with my coaches starting tonight so they know that I know what I'm doing. I'll absolutely try the heavier weights, but I don't want them to think I'm being weak or whiny by going down in weight when I know for certain I can't use the heavier weight safely... yet. I'm sure in a few weeks I WILL need their input and will need to challenge myself more, but for the first several WODs I need to trust myself and need the coaches to trust me too.

Thanks everyone!!

Just get your form down at first and tell them that. You're paying for this.

I am one of the strongest women at my CF box but I have a terrible time with kettlebells because they are so awkward. I always grab two sets so I can move down if I have to. Try that.

When I first started CF, I liked to complete a set or two and dump weight off the bar if I had to. I think it worked fine. It just takes a while of playing around to find out where you need to be to make it challenging but with good form.