23 Ways to Eat Clean

Options
abs0830
abs0830 Posts: 319 Member
This one is more like a slide show, what's your biggest take away?

For me I honestly didn't realize that baby carrots were processed. I'm feeling a bit foolish, but glad I read through this!

http://www.prevention.com/food/healthy-eating-tips/23-ways-eat-clean

Replies

• karenMcMillan0712
    karenMcMillan0712 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Wow I did not know that either-But I prefer the large carrots More flavor in them.I find Baby carrots not very tasty and end up cooking them with sugar and honey to make them taste like there larger counter part.
  • jeanners98
    jeanners98 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    This was really interesting. Things I should have known:

-deli sliced meats are processed!
    -tofu is processed!

So what are people's thoughts on tofu? I've heard that it can be unhealthy to eat a lot of tofu because it is processed and soy isn't the best choice, but then I know a lot of very health-minded vegans that eat tofu constantly. Not sure what to do with that.
  • karenMcMillan0712
    karenMcMillan0712 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    This was really interesting. Things I should have known:

-deli sliced meats are processed!
    -tofu is processed!

So what are people's thoughts on tofu? I've heard that it can be unhealthy to eat a lot of tofu because it is processed and soy isn't the best choice, but then I know a lot of very health-minded vegans that eat tofu constantly. Not sure what to do with that.

Oh Crap deli meat? I was eating the chicken cause I thought it would be healthy. New plan cook my own.
    ToFu-Can not stand it-and I try not to eat to much soy for it is linked with Thyroid issues. When I eat to much soy I am off balance. And I notice it greatly. Gone to coconut milk
  • abs0830
    Options
    Deli meats I found out when I determined I'm allergic to corn, about a year ago. Some even have corn syrup in them. It's kind of insane! Not sure about tofu to be honest.
  • ShalaraQ
    ShalaraQ Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Lunch meat is another tough one for me. Way back when, I was into the south beach diet (which I have to say, really is a fairly healthy way of eating for me, but I no longer buy into any diets that put restrictions on things and make you feel guilty for eating it ;)) and one of my favorite snacks was a piece of sliced turkey breast spread with a little bit of "Cilantro Mayo" and wrapped around a celery stick. It satisfied my salty crunchy cravings, while including some protein to help fill me up.

I have used Applegate Farms uncured black forest ham or their organic oven roasted turkey breast. They are fairly low in sodium and don't have nitrates. For roast beef (my favorite), I'll get it at the counter at New Seasons where they are slicing up a whole piece of beef that has been roasted on premises, but its soooo expensive!

Kristen
  • Soggynode
    Soggynode Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    For breakfast I had a sliced deli turkey, mixed greens, cucumber, feta cheese and dried cranberry wrap. Pretty much everything in my wrap except the cuc was on the "somewhat processed" side (don't know about the feta). I had baby carrots with my lunch, vanilla greek yogurt with my snack and a corn taco shell with my dinner - all on the somewhat processed side.

The highly processed foods on the list seemed pretty obvious but I guess I was completely unaware of this "somewhat processed" category. Good stuff to think about.
  • ShalaraQ
    Options
    For breakfast I had a sliced deli turkey, mixed greens, cucumber, feta cheese and dried cranberry wrap. Pretty much everything in my wrap except the cuc was on the "somewhat processed" side (don't know about the feta). I had baby carrots with my lunch, vanilla greek yogurt with my snack and a corn taco shell with my dinner - all on the somewhat processed side.

The highly processed foods on the list seemed pretty obvious but I guess I was completely unaware of this "somewhat processed" category. Good stuff to think about.

Sounds delicious though!

I agree that I haven't given as much thought to the somewhat processed items either. It's good to be more aware.
  • 2Chaotic
    2Chaotic Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Over the last six months I have cut down on my consumption of meat and particularly deli meats. I know deli meats are processed and contain some nasties but I will not give them up altogether - well not yet anyway. That may come with time.

I am choosy and will not buy just any rubbish. I'm not a fan of the deli meats they sell at the stupourmarket. Of greater concern, however, are bought sandwiches/rolls/wraps containing deli meats because I don't know where they've bought their supplies from or how long they've been sitting there sliced.

But everything in moderation. I'll allow myself a few slices of good ham or turkey during the week.
  • girl_w_2_forks_and_a_knife
    Options
    Looks like most anything in a package and/or can is processed. Makes sense that tofu is somewhat processed but I didn't really think about that too much. I was surprised to see packaged spinach (such as Fresh Express) on the list….what the heck are they doing to the spinach.

Cleaning spinach takes a minute because of the sand/dirt. I feel like its never really clean so I've always opted for the packaged spinach.
  • 2Chaotic
    2Chaotic Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I was surprised about the spinach too. Maybe it loses some nutrients after it has been washed and left to sit for days.

As an alternative to flavoured yoghurt drink (#18) try mixing some plain kefir with milk and crush or blend some natural fruit into it. Delish!
  • ShalaraQ
    Options
    Looks like most anything in a package and/or can is processed. Makes sense that tofu is somewhat processed but I didn't really think about that too much. I was surprised to see packaged spinach (such as Fresh Express) on the list….what the heck are they doing to the spinach.

Cleaning spinach takes a minute because of the sand/dirt. I feel like its never really clean so I've always opted for the packaged spinach.

I've always gotten bagged spinach for the same reason. I also find it's more tender and I can eat the stems, where with standard spinach I don't like the stems.
  • SeaDragonIsland
    Options
    The processed part of baby carrots is this, the are given a chlorine solution "bath"– organic and non-organic -- to prevent food poisoning, before a final wash in water. This chlorine rinse is well within limits set by the EPA and is comparable to levels found in tap water.
    Further more, most baby carrots sold in U.S. supermarkets are really what the industry calls “baby cuts” – made from longer carrots that have been peeled and cut into a smaller size. These carrots have been specifically bred to be smaller in diameter, coreless and sweeter than regular carrots.
    As far as the sweeter and softer texture to them it's because they are breed that way. Nothing added or processed about that.
  • abs0830
    Options
    KJW58: Very interesting. Thanks for sharing!

ShalaraQ-Yes, I've done the same thing. I haven't tried unbagged Spinach in awhile...thinking I may want to try that again and see how it goes.

Yes-Moderation and awareness are key. I doubt that people are able to eat 100% clean all of the time. BUT, it's good to know what we're putting in our bodies.
  • caitastic24
    caitastic24 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Hmm I wonder if egg whites are processed too. Probably :( It's just hard to eat one egg at a time. Two + goes over my daily cholesterol. For the most part this list made sense and was well put together. I just wish it was easier to eat clean!!
  • rebeccaisafish
    rebeccaisafish Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing that the bagged spinach is because they put nitrogen in the bags to stop it from spoiling (Or so I've read) and the spinach can be much much older than what you would ordinarily buy, therefore some nutrient value would be lost.

Doesn't matter to me though. I love my spinach and I can only get it bagged.