Hydrating

Options
iwannabinnarnia
iwannabinnarnia Posts: 179 Member
I'm just wondering... how much hydrating do all of you do before a 5k in heat and high humidity? I tend to have trouble getting my liquids in most days but before races I really do try to get at least the recommended 8 cups per day for several days before the race. After finishing the Flying Pig 5k I had some dizzyness that ended when I drank some Gatorade they were passing out. So I wonder if I wasn't hydrated enough? Saturday I'm doing a Wounded Warrior 5k and it's supposed to be upper 80s and high humidity. I've been hitting at least my 8 cups each day this week (one day I managed 11)... but just wonder if I should be 'over hydrating' to be safe?

Replies

• SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Nothing too out of the ordinary, but given the weather I usually start my day with 24oz of water. Be careful of overhydration - bad stuff can happen. After your run, be sure to rehydrate what you lost. You can figure that out by weighing before and immediately after you run.
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Just look at the colour of your pee. If it's a light straw colour, you're hydrated enough. If it's dark yellow, drink some more water.