Hydration Handhelds

Options
tkillion810
tkillion810 Posts: 591 Member
I am going to try using the Tailwind product for fuel in lieu of the gels in the next few weeks. Since I will be needing to drink more frequently than when just drinking water, I will need to carry a water bottle as I run. I've tried the belts but they end up bouncing all over and I really can't stand them. That leaves me looking using some type of handheld. Any suggestions or things to consider when making a purchase?

Replies

• SteveTries
    SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I have a "fuel belt" which has a Velcro strap enabling you to get it as tight as you like. It doesn't bounce. I prefer to carry nothing though and would rather stop at a shop for quick drink en route during a long run.

If that's not an option or if it's hot I use a hydration backpack. I don't find the weight uncomfortable in any way. Nor the movement. The noise of water sloshing about is irritating but I tune it out quickly enough.

For me, I can't stand holding something in my hand. I don't know why. It just feels uneven somehow. Unbalanced. Plenty of other people seem to manage just fine though.
  • Lard_Vader
    Lard_Vader Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I can't stand the belts either. I use the CamelBak Dart for longer runs (over 10). Less than 10 (and on hot days) I use a Amphipod Hydraform Handheld 20oz. I wasn't sure if I'd like it at first but I have gotten used to it. I never run with water, always some electrolyte mix (usually Vega Sport). If I run out or have to refill then water is fine. I was able to find the Amphipod at my local running store for $20ish and my wife bought it for me on Father's Day ;-)
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I use a Nathan Quickshot and I love it. But it is only 10 oz, so if you are needing more than that it might not work.
  • sinister2014
    sinister2014 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    i use one i got from a local race, but i tried out the ultimate direction fastdraw at the store last month and it was very comfortable.
  • ekat120
    ekat120 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I have an Amphipod 20 oz. handheld, too. I really like it. It has a neoprene sleeve that helps with insulation and perspiration (from both the bottle and me!). I don't find it too cumbersome to carry.
  • lulukittie
    lulukittie Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I have an older model of the Ultimate Direction Fastdraw 20 and I love it.
  • DonPendergraft
    DonPendergraft Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I have an Amphipod 20 oz. handheld, too. I really like it. It has a neoprene sleeve that helps with insulation and perspiration (from both the bottle and me!). I don't find it too cumbersome to carry.

^^This.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I have a Nathan sport bottle thingie with a hand strap and a little pouch that I usually put an ID and some chews into, and tissues if I have a cold (the ID goes between the chews and tissues, for santiation's sake). I like it, but in this high humidity we've got right now, the hand strap gets SOAKED. But then again, everything that touches my body when I'm running these days gets absolutely soaked, so I shouldn't be surprised.
  • kkramey1970
    kkramey1970 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I have several sizes of Nathons bottles and love them all. I also have a camel bak marathon vest. Love the vest for when two bottles just isn't enough.
  • tkillion810
    Options
    Thanks for all of the feedback/suggestions. I landed on the Ampiphod because I like that it has a sleeve that goes between the hand and the bottle. Will see how it goes!
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the feedback/suggestions. I landed on the Ampiphod because I like that it has a sleeve that goes between the hand and the bottle. Will see how it goes!

I hope you like it. I have one and like it.
  • tkillion810
    Options
    I've had the chance to test out the Amphipod and must say - how did I ever live without it! It fits my hand like a glove and I didn't feel any shoulder/neck/back pain from carrying it!