What are you mixing your powders with?

I'm allowed 4 shakes/ day. I use 1% milk (allowed) and have lost only a few pounds in last 7 days. I did the math, and at 12 oz milk each shake is around 430 calories (x4= 1720 cal/day). Am I too high? I'm not hungry, so I'm thinking just stick with it, but everyone loses so much prior to surgery, and I'm not. I'm concerned I'm over consuming. Should I worry about this? I don't want it to backfire either way!

Replies

• rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    What kind of shake is it? My protein powder is 120 or 130 calories per 24g protein. When I mix two with ice and 8 oz milk (90 c for skim or 30c for unsweetened Almond milk), I get to 270-350. If you need to reduce the calories, drop to 8 oz milk and make up the rest with ice or water.

You should probably ask your program for a calorie target to go with the 4 shake regimen. It might not matter to them for the pre-op diet (are you in your 1-2 week liquid diet immediately pre-surgery?)

When in doubt ask your program people. They usually have a way that they want you to go, and what you hear from us should not change adherence to their program.

Good luck to you!

Rob
  • authorwriter
    authorwriter Posts: 323 Member
    A few pounds in a week is a really good rate of weight loss. Just do as the doctor ordered. I lost like 5, maybe 10 pounds prior to surgery.
  • bikrchk
    bikrchk Posts: 516 Member
    I typically use Syntrax Nectar products that mix with water or dump a scoop of chocolate in my coffee in the morning. I don't do a lot of milk, (though it is a good source of protein). My tastes kind of changed post op and I tend to opt for the thinner and less rich products now. I also have a chai tea concoction I like sometimes with vanilla whey, instant tea, ginger, cinnamon and cloves with a spoonful of powdered milk or splash of 1%.
  • katematt313
    katematt313 Posts: 624 Member
    Every MD has different pre-op requirements. So, the feedback you get from others is not going to be apples to apples with your MD's requirements. You should call and ask the MD.

That being said, it sure seems like a lot of calories!

I know my MD's office gave me a list of protein shakes and powders that were acceptable, and each had at least 15 grams of protein and under 200 calories, with very few carbs. My pre-op diet was 3-4 shakes per day, 2 very small servings of protein (2 oz), and 2 large servings of raw veggies. I never was able to get in more than 800 calories per day.

If you want to friend me, go ahead, and you can look at my diary for the week of 6/2/14. That was my pre-op diet week.

Good luck.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    I make a 16 ounce shake with 8 ounces of 2% milk and one scoop of protein powder. Once mixed, I then add 8 ounces of water. The protein is right where I need it, but the calories are much lower. I've tried mixing with water only and it's just gross. But it's also a creamy mix (Vanilla Bean). The protein powders that are fruit based or like Syntrax Nectar's Roadside Lemonade, I always mix with water because they are not creamy to begin with like the vanilla bean is.

Pat
  • amychantel
    amychantel Posts: 52 Member
    Try unsweetened almond milk! It's much lower in calories. I use the unsweetened vanilla. It's great. :-)
  • amychantel
    amychantel Posts: 52 Member
    By the way, are you pre-op or post op? Are you on liquids only? If post op, how far out are you?

I'm a year out and that would be a high calorie day for me, even if those 4 shakes were the only thing I had. If you did a cup of almond milk with a scoop of Syntrax, it would only be about 520 calories for 4 shakes and about 90 to 100 grams of protein. Hope that helps!