Thoughts... started 10th week of SL today

Options
willrun4bagels
willrun4bagels Posts: 838 Member
This morning, I began my 10th week of Stronglifts. I started on May 3rd, and took a week off in early July for vacation, but have otherwise done 3 SL workouts a week. I don't do any other workouts aside from light walks with my dogs, and occasionally I'll start doing HIIT sprints around the neighborhood with them for a few minutes - not super often though. I have a sedentary desk job.

Squats have progressed from a wobbly 40lbs to 135lbs.
Bench press has gone from 45lbs to 80lbs.
Barbell row started at 45lbs, at 65 lbs now.
OHP from 40lbs to 60lbs.
Deadlift from 70lbs to 150lbs.

I like the strength gains I've made. I am starting to like how my body is changing.

The scale has gone down 3 or 4 pounds since May - *though I never feel like I am getting an accurate weigh-in lately, between water retention from lifting, to feeling bloated and constipated from eating adequate protein (though my dietary fats are high, fiber intake is good, I still am constantly struggling to go to the bathroom). I've been eating higher amounts of protein (~1g per pound of LBM) for several months now, but this is still happening. I just started taking a probiotic to see if that helps any. So now I'll step on the scale but with lifting 3x a week, I always feel like I'm retaining water from that, or always constipated... so I feel like any losses are constantly masked.

I am also struggling with feeling like I have to compromise eating at more of a deficit in the hopes of weight loss (I am still very much in the overweight range for my height), or eating closer to maintenance in order to complete the lifts each week. My diary is open. My goal is to lose 40 more pounds to be at the higher end of the healthy weight BMI for my height.

Yesterday, for example, I didn't lift, but I went over in calories because even though my goal is set to 2300 cals a day (15% off of TDEE), I felt so light headed and hungry that I almost fainted twice. No other signs of illness, and I drink 5+ liters of water a day. Felt better this morning. So I'm feeling run down and hungry if I don't eat a ton of food every day right before or after lifting, or if I do eat more calories - I'm not seeing any more losses on the scale. I use a food scale for all solids and viscous foods, measuring cups only for liquids, so I know that my logging is as on point as I can be, and I'm not grossly over or under-eating every day.

With another 35-40lbs left to lose, I feel like I should be seeing some more movement on the scale lately. More strength gains and higher numbers on all of my lifts would be totally amazing, but I don't want to be 40lbs overweight with awesome squat and deadlift 1RMs... I feel like I need to get to a healthy weight first before trying a bulk/cut cycle to build muscle.

Can anyone with more experience offer their insight? Anyone with 30+ pounds to lose that started lifting - what was your experience? I did workout B this morning... days that I deadlift always make me feel groggy and kind of out of it for most of the day... I also have the urge to eat a ton of food.

I've found this link - http://www.1percentedge.com/ifcalc/ and after entering my stats (I put lightly active: 1-3 hours of light workout a week... or is moderately active more appropriate when doing SL? Moderately active calls for 3-5 hours exercise a week) - it's giving me a split... eat 2,084 cals a day on rest days, eat 2,605 cals a day on workout days, for a weekly weight loss of 0.6lbs. I suppose this averages to 2300 calories a day like I am doing now, but would eating more on workout days, less on rest days make me feel better?

I feel like I've been at this for a while now... just need to get the scale and the tape measure on board!

Replies

• rps67
    rps67 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    We've been at it for the same amount of time and I haven't made the gains you have! That's awesome that you're doing so well!

I'm definitely not a pro here but wanted to say that I've had no luck with weight loss so far. I'm coming from a different place -- I had a baby in March via c-section after months of not being allowed to exercise. Since the baby was 4 weeks old, I've been running 3 times a week and started SL when she was 6 weeks old. My scale didn't move until I tried fasting 2 times a week (500 calories on those 2 days). BUT...I got really pissy on those days so I gave up. I'm back to 160 lb. and I don't eat badly! I'm nursing the baby, too, so I don't know if that's why I'm holding on to the weight or what. I haven't been logging but I would be super surprised if I ate more than my TDEE every day enough to gain weight (plus my TDEE doesn't account for breastfeeding).

I'm seeing improvements in my measurements. I've only taken them 3 times but I've lost quite a few inches. It's also obvious when you look at me that something is different. I'd like to get down to 125 or so, although as time goes on, my idea of what my goal should be is changing.

I gave up on the scale last week. Right now, I want to concentrate on running and lifting and I'll continue to eat relatively well, but I'm not going to get crazy about weight loss. I like food too much to keep denying myself -- it's just not sustainable.

I hope someone gives you some advice that I can store away to use later! =)
  • katro111
    katro111 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I'm on my second 12-week run of SL (possibly switching to 5/3/1 in August). I feel your frustration with the scale; from February until the end of June I stayed at pretty much the same weight (aside from water retention fluctuations). Then July hit and WHOOSH! My weight trend has been consistently downward for the past 14 days (I weigh myself daily and graph it). I've tried deficits of -250cals, -500cals, and -750cals prior to July and nothing seemed to make a difference. I'm averaging -500cals per day so far for July and again, it seems to be working. I've also tried eating more on lifting days and less on rest days and wasn't too happy with that either. I've switched to a set amount each day and even though I sometimes go over, I think my body prefers the consistency of eating roughly the same almost every day (I don't get as bloated that's for sure).

I don't even like hearing it when I know it's the truth, but hang in there, keep doing what you're doing and soon enough it'll pay off and the scale will catch up! :flowerforyou:
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    Squats have progressed from a wobbly 40lbs to 135lbs.
    Bench press has gone from 45lbs to 80lbs.
    Barbell row started at 45lbs, at 65 lbs now.
    OHP from 40lbs to 60lbs.
    Deadlift from 70lbs to 150lbs.

this is incredible. makes me happy just looking at it. i'm at a different place on the calendar: taking a week off after 3 weeks on sl, but i was doing something with weights at least 3x week before sl, and also cycling up to 100km in a week. and i'm not 100% sure how much i started out needing to lose, but it must have been close to 30lb or a little bit less.

i relate to everything that you've said though.
    *though I never feel like I am getting an accurate weigh-in lately,

very much this. i guess the general trend is still oonching slowly downwards, but i've given up caring about it because all those additional unknown factors make the number so meaningless. it just doesn't have the credibility for me that it used to have anymore - good or bad. for me, this isn't currently too frustrating since i'm still interested in watching my lift weights go up and getting my biking times down . . . but i can see it coming.

i'm like you. i like strength and i like cardio capacity, but i'm not interested in only that. i started this whole thing because i wanted to get my weight back to the ~120 or so that i weighed in college, just to see how it looks. i still do want that. i can't make up my mind either, between feeling like i need to replenish and restock for the next workout/ride, or still trying to keep up a deficit. since i'm just guessing at the best move right now, i'm thinking i might pick at point at some time where i feel like i'm 'good enough' on the lifting, and hold it there while i go back to focusing on running a deficit.
  • willrun4bagels
    willrun4bagels Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone :flowerforyou:

I've also messaged SideSteel today and gotten some great feedback on spacing my intake a little differently throughout the day in the hopes of feeling less hungry each day without further increasing calories. I am also going to start having a piece of fruit in the morning before the gym when lifting to see if this helps with performance.

And regarding my lift numbers... I would feel more impressed with them if I was anywhere near lifting my bodyweight on squats or deadlifts lol. I am 219-221lbs right now (219 in profile pic on vacation 2 weeks ago). I'm 6'2", and my goal weight is like 180 or something. Maybe higher. I just want to look good. If my weight were a lot lower, I would feel really happy with my numbers on the two big lifts... but I feel like I should be deadlifting more than 150 by now! Idk.... maybe I need to relax lol.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Your numbers are great....I didn't squat my BW until 25 weeks in...that was the week after vacation and eating all the foodz...I was at 165 at that point.

As for it being "hard to go"...try prunes...just a few...are you getting enough water in?

I find I had issues as well and still do every once in a while and it's usually my water.

As for the weight...it will come...10 weeks in I lost 5lbs...20 weeks in just under 8lbs....30 weeks net of 13 (gained over vacation and holidays)

Are you taking measurments? pics to compare?

Your lifts are good imho...nothing wrong with those numbers. If you think your DL should be higher what do you think the issue is? grip? form? or is it just "heavy assed ****" (excuse my language)...sometimes it's just mental and if you push you can get higher just make sure you don't sacrifice form.
  • ketoandbarbell
    ketoandbarbell Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    You are really doing amazing! Quit being so hard on yourself! I have been at it the same amount of time and my lifts are nowhere near yours!

I was hungrier when i would snack more too! Would never feel full :frown: Now i don't have as much for a snack unless I am really hungry. Hope it helps you!

I haven't seen the scale move in 2 months also, on Saturday I was only up .4 from my lowest. So I think its coming around again.. Hoping for that whoosh I keep hearing about.
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    I started in late April at 41 lbs. down. I am eating TDEE -15% now, I was eating TDEE -20% up until a few weeks ago. I haven't been losing as much lately, but I am getting close to my goal so it does slow down then.

You have done a great job progressing.

I started squats at 45, now 140
    deadlifts at 45, now 140
    rows at 45, now 75
    bench press at 45, now 70
    overhead press at 45, now 55 (got some fractional plates now so I am going to try for 60 next time). For whatever reason I have the hardest time progressing with this one.
  • PurringMyrrh
    PurringMyrrh Posts: 5,296 Member
    Options
    Even everyone's starting weights put me to shame! You all kick a$s.