deadlift form question

Options
2»

Replies

• Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    ]StrongLifts instructions say palms towards you, have you read the instructions? Here: http://stronglifts.com/5x5/ then click on the exercise under Must Read bottom right, there are step by steps for each one.

Did YOU read my response/s?

The "overhand with one and under with the other hand" is called a mixed grip. Most people will go to a mixed grip when the weight becomes heavier than what they can grip. So basically, a mixed grip is a much stronger grip. IMO you should use an overhand grip as much as you can to build up your grip strength. Personally, I do overhand grip for all my warm ups then do my working set with a mixed grip.

My response is in agreement with Mark Rippetoe/Starting Strength. Mehdi is a Rippetoe rip-off and I could quite frankly care less what is written on his website.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    no belt atm as i'd like to be sure i'm making a way of life out of this before i go picking up paraphernalia. i'll usually be lifting on my way home from work, and it gets to be just one more thing that has to be toted all day, along with the various bike gear, so eh. and i'm not really in a rush about pushing the amount of weight that i'm lifting just yet. but i'll keep it in mind definitely, when i get to a point where neither of those factors is true anymore. first, i just want to figure out some of the stuff anybody should know, even if they're just lifting a broomstick on their own back deck.

Belts are not necessary IMO until you start lifting heavy (1.25x your bodyweight), and even then it's a personal preference. Belts do not help with form nor will they prevent a back injury. What they will do is help with intra-abdominal pressure which helps protect your back. If you don't use them properly they're worthless. How you use them properly is before you lift the bar off the floor you take a big breath in a way that fills your stomach with air - that air + your stomach pushing against the belt is the intra abdominal pressure that I referred to earlier that will help protect your back.
  • lizafava2
    lizafava2 Posts: 185
    Options
    Deadlifts took a long time for me to get because we just do so many fewer of them.

The instructions that were posted I ended up putting on my phone and looking at before practically every lift for awhile.

Now I have the following mantra in my head "Engage, dig in with your heels then push with your hips." A powerlifting coach who was helping me with my form said, to correct my particular issue (upper back pain, YMMV) that I should think of it as a heel-lift to the knees and then a hip and butt push from there. Pegging the bar, yeah.

Also try doing more reps with lighter weight. I know the SL guide says we should be warmed up enough by the time we're done with OHP, but I like to do a bunch of warm-up sets to get my form right.

I switch to mixed grip only for my workout weight, which is well over 200 pounds.