Shoulder mobility and bench press

Options
Hishtagat
Hishtagat Posts: 27 Member
I've been noticing a certain recurring form issue in my bench and figured I'd probe your brains for a possible solution, ladies. Simply put, my right shoulder is visibly more mobile than my left. As a result, when I retract my scapulae back, the length of my arms is different enough to put a lot of extra strain on the left arm. We are talking around 10 cm difference in lockout "height" here. If I retract them "back and down" the length difference is nowhere near as noticeable, but that position feels slightly constraining to me.

So I suppose the question is, tough it out with "back and down" until it starts feeling a bit more right, try to improve shoulder mobility of my left arm, or both?

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    It's hard to go wrong with the standard answer: deloading and specific mobility work to help facilitate development.

I would do some research on TYPL's and KStarr's shoulder mobility and see if you can figure out some of your issue and if/where you have impingement.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    yeah deload and work on mobility, And have someone skilled watch your form (emphasis on skilled, not just some yahoo at the gym with big pecs) . Its hard to understand what you are talking about, but it sounds like this could be a form issue and developing proper form. There is more to benching than just laying down and pushing the weight up and down.