Metformin "working"

Options
2»

Replies

• juliarawlins
    juliarawlins Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Just started Metformin XR today. Hopefully with eating healthier and exercising I can drop this weight. So tired of being tired.
  • sinkinginseas
    Options
    I lost weight on mine, and never had many issues (though I do notice I drink a bit more since I've been on it), now I've kind gotten stuck I think, so we're looking at other options for weight loss but my doctor does tell me its helping because blood work is coming back good. Though the most recent blood work isn't back yet so we'll see.
  • kgibbz
    kgibbz Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Just had repeat bloodwork Friday, I go back in a week for results. Fingers crossed!
  • nursewise
    nursewise Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    How long were you on Metformin before you started noticing any weight loss. My blood sugars were fairly good before Metformin. My doctor put me on it due to the fact that I cannot seem to lose weight. I have been on it for about 3 weeks and haven't noticed a difference. That's why I am trying to refocus on myfitnesspal. I'm also hoping you ladies can help inspire and offer tips:)
  • memedandy1
    memedandy1 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Th Metformin wouldn't be the reason your hair is falling out. That is actually a symptom of PCOS. It is because of the elevated testosterone.
  • kgibbz
    kgibbz Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I never came back and updated... ITS WORKING! My a1c was 5.5!! Yay! That was the number one reason I was medicated. Insulin issues run in my family. So anyway my doc was impressed with my weightloss. Since starting Met Ive lost 9lbs.
  • attilathehat
    attilathehat Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I just started on 500mgx1 XR this week after spending several frustrating months working with a registered dietitian. My fasting blood sugar is kind of weird. If I eat nothing but pizza and cake, it's 118. If I eat between 90 and 120 g carbs/day, it's between 105 and 110. These days, that's pre-diabetic, though barely. This week, I went super low carb, <30g, well into ketosis, and on Metformin...and it's between 98 and 103. Argh! What do I have to even do to keep my blood sugar under 100?!? (My carbs have generally been between 90 and 120 net since summer, mostly primal/paleo, with several short rounds of keto sprinkled in there.)

On the positive side, after losing only about 6 pounds in 3 months (including when on keto), I've lost about 4 this week. I'm sure it's probably mostly water, but at this point, I kind of don't even care. I'm hoping that losing a bit more will reset my blood sugar and make it easier to stay below the very top of the normal range.