Gels?

Options
saskie78
saskie78 Posts: 237 Member
I have a gel question. Training for a fall marathon and I'm pretty new to gels. I understand it's common to take one every hour in a marathon, yes? But how often in training? On my last long run (18 miles), I took one at mile 12 and that was it. Felt fine.

And, um, that completes my tale of ALL of my experience with taking gels (aside from that one time when I took a honey stinger gel and spit it out because it tasted nasty).

I feel fine in my training, don't feel like I need more energy. But it seems to make sense that if you are going to eat that many in a race, you maybe wanna simulate that in your training? Yes? No? Thoughts? Experience?

Replies

• rabblerabble
    rabblerabble Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Pretty much everything I've read emphasizes trying to simulate race conditions as closely as possible during training.

Doing my first half next week and the race website says they'll have powerade every other aid station so during my longer training sessions, I've alternated water and powerade every few miles during those runs.
  • ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I like to train fasted. So no food beforehand, no gels, no sports drinks. However, to practice what I was going to do for the marathon I took gels on my 20 mile runs. (There were 3) I think I took them every 6 miles. In the actual race I took them every 5 miles. For this training cycle I plan to do the same, except I am going to one of my 20's as a race simulation and take gels and gatorade at the same intervals I plan to for the race, as well as eat before and try to start my run at the same time as race day.
  • NorthCountryDreamer
    NorthCountryDreamer Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    In a race take on gel every 45 minutes. On a training run experiment with flavors and find the one's you like. I eat little or no gels on training runs unless it is a longer run (over 14 miles). You should take on some water with the gel. In your training plan you could do one race rehearsal and simulate many of the race day conditions for a 26 km distance. Wear the same clothes and shoes. Eat the same number of gels. Eat the same pre-race meal and what ever else you care to simulate. Run at your anticipated marathon pace. This preparation will help you be ready.

I will take your extra honey stingers if you don't want them. yum.
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    I would suggest at least one training run where you fuel as closely as possible to what you plan during the race. I'm quite a bit bigger than you so I consume a gel every 30 minutes or so during a marathon, plus one about 10 minutes before the start. That means 7 or 8 gels on race day. The first 5 or 6 are fine, but it's that last couple that can be a bit of a problem, so it's good to know what that's going to feel like on race day and if you can handle it.

But most folks these days suggest that you should mostly train fasted, to train your body to work while fuel-deprived. I do that for the most part but will still take 1-3 gels on runs longer than about 15 miles.
  • saskie78
    Options
    This all makes good sense. I don't want to be taking them all the time in my long runs, but I do want to see how I react to them. I'll plan two long runs with race-simulation fueling (and perhaps with middle miles at marathon pace).

Northcountry: I love everything Honey Stinger makes except those darn gels! I would eat the waffles for breakfast if I thought it was good for me :)
  • DonPendergraft
    DonPendergraft Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Depends on your size. I'm quite a bit bigger, so I 100 calories/hr just won't get it done. I take one every 30 minutes, but probably could every 20 minutes. And one 15 minutes before I start. Then a recovery drink when done. Drink water when you take a gel. But just drink to thirst. Don't over hydrate.
  • NorthCountryDreamer
    NorthCountryDreamer Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    This all makes good sense. I don't want to be taking them all the time in my long runs, but I do want to see how I react to them. I'll plan two long runs with race-simulation fueling (and perhaps with middle miles at marathon pace).

Northcountry: I love everything Honey Stinger makes except those darn gels! I would eat the waffles for breakfast if I thought it was good for me :)

Hmmm.....I am picturing putting a honey stinger gel on my toast in the morning.
  • blgerig
    blgerig Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I would try at least one training run taking them as often as you do during the race, because one race I did overdo it a bit on the fuels and had tummy trouble. Just test it out! For what it is worth I personally have only done half marathons and only take them one on a 10 mile+ run, usually take two during a race.
  • RunFarLiveHappy
    RunFarLiveHappy Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I only use a fair amount of fuel on trials (simulating the race) otherwise I fuel as little as possible during training runs. I usually take more than I ever could use (it's my safety net lol). P.S. I adore a things honey stinger
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I use chews, and those are 160 calories for 12 or so (I eat the Honey Stingers too; everyone on this board seems to love them!). So I eat 2 every 3-4 miles. I used to use gels but got tired of sticky fingers and lots of trash :/ I think I used to take those every 4-5 miles, depending on how fast I was going. I always got the ones with caffeine; I normally start my day with caffeine so a little caffeine in a gel or chew helps me feel a little more normal after I get done running for a couple hours... or at least normal enough to make a real cup of coffee when I'm done! :)
  • Carrieendar
    Carrieendar Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    For half of my long runs, I take in 30g of carbs per hour (a gel and sports drink). For the other half I take in nothing but use nuun tabs to get electrolytes without carbs in my water in this humidity! Then, in the last part of training, I use the last 2-3 fast finish long runs to simulate the race and take in 60g of carbs per hour. I use a gel flask and mix the gels with water in the flask and then carry a two bottle racer for those.
  • tkillion810
    tkillion810 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I aim for 30-45 grams of carbs per hour during my races (one gel approximately every 40 minutes). It's good to try to simulate what you plan to do in a race, during a few training runs. With that said, everyone's needs are different. My sister-in-law can run a full marathon on a few sips of water and one gel. Not me. Experiment with it to find what works for you.
  • pobalita
    pobalita Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    I aim for 30-45 grams of carbs per hour during my races (one gel approximately every 40 minutes). It's good to try to simulate what you plan to do in a race, during a few training runs.

this exactly
  • saskie78
    Options
    Thank you all so much. This group is sooooo helpful!