Ways to substitute starch for a healthier alternative

Options
Hello! I found out in September (after multiple hospital visits) that I was severely intolerant to gluten. In the last 10 months my diet went through a drastic change. It's been hard to adjust and what makes it worse is that my boyfriend is not gluten free so not only does he eat a lot of things containing gluten (which puts me at risk of contamination) but he also likes to eat a side of starch for all his meals. Besides potatoes as a starch or rice, I have no clue as to what I can add to the meal that will satisfy his need for a starch while adding something new that doesn't contain gluten. Any ideas?

Replies

• pwtaa
    pwtaa Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Quinoa is also a good choice and it takes on the flavor of anything you add to it. This is a great website for ideas.
    http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/2008/09/quinoa-rice-side-dishes.html
  • rondaschweitzer
    rondaschweitzer Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi, I found out 4 years ago that I have a bad allergy with Wheat. I was very sick, before and was gaining weight at an alarming rate. There are new pasta's now available made from corn flour blends and they are really good. My husband and daugher don't notice the difference. Give them a try. I have tried Quinoa but I don't like the flavor and my husband hated it. It is really good for you if you can find a way to make it taste better.
  • bisky
    bisky Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    Hello, This group does not look active? I was just diagnosed Celiac's disease from a biopsy and looking for advice.