Cyclocross as all-year-round commuter bike advice - £1000

Options
Frannybobs
Frannybobs Posts: 741 Member
I am wanting to get a cyclocross bike as a commuter to deal with the shocking road surfaces and paths I go on during my short sub 10 mile commute.

I had test ridden and decided upon the Evans Cycles' own brand Pinnacle Arkose Three, was already to take it there and then - they went to fit the mudguards (SKS full ones) and found that the front fork was missing the hole! A few days later and it turns out to be a universal "fault" and they have decided not to fix them but to sell them at clearance price as the 2015 range is due out mid-August.

So that leaves me back at the drawing board. I definitely want mudguards and disc brakes, bar top levers would be an advantage (for commuting sitting upright is useful, but also I have little hands so it's easier to use those than the others from the hoods)

I'm 5'3" and female and they don't really do many women's specific CX bikes, but I'm sure I'd be okay on a man's small one.

The only other one I had earmarked was the Focus Mares AX 5.0 - which comes already fitted with mudguards and even lights. It's on sale at a shop local to me so I'm test riding the 51cm model on Sunday.

I have found through some research today the "Whyte" range of do-it-all bikes, Dorset seems to be the Cycle To Work pricepoint - anybody got any experience of Whyte bikes?

I do like the look of the Cannondale CAADX 6 Tiagra, however they're out of stock EVERYWHERE in my size. Anybody got any feedback on those?

I'm thinking if the test ride on Sunday isn't quite what I'd hoped then I will bide my time and wait a month or so for the 2015 CX ranges to hit all the shops and try it then. But I don't do patience really!

Any advice or help or feedback from experience gratefully received!

Cheers,
Fran

Replies

• cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Fran',

I've got a Boardman CX Team - It has everything you've stipulated & would fit the bill nicely... However, I do believe that you can't order from Halfrauds with your C2W scheme???

Have you looked at a Cube Cross Race Disc; this will fit the bill too, although after doing a quick search, they appear to be £1099, however, I'm sure a store would 'discount you one down to £1000', if you bought a few bits of other stuff too (like guards etc.) Again, the only issue with Cube is, they import a small amount of bikes, which can lead to shortages in popular sizes...

You don't necessarily need 'mounting points' for guards to fit either; there are loads of different options out there...

e.g. http://road.cc/content/review/105264-zefal-shield-r30-road-mudguard-set

As I have already said (a million times), if it were my money, I'd buy the Planet X...

I'll go away now :laugh:
  • Spatialized
    Spatialized Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    All may not be lost with the Pinnacle, there's innumerable ways to mount a fender without the hole, lots of information here: http://velo-orange.blogspot.com/2009/10/another-fender-trick.html

As for bikes...I know nothing.
  • Frannybobs
    Options
    I think the problem is that this bike neither has rim brake callipers or a hole in the front fork now so makes it extra complex to fit mudguards and I don't want to have to "bodge" on a brand new bike especially when it's hardly the only bike out there.

I did look at the Cube Race Cross Disc bike but they don't have it in my size anywhere local. Hence why I'm thinking I should await the arrival of the 2015 'cross bikes, as long as it's not November time or something!!

I'd love the Boardman one but you're right Halfrauds is out of the question, which I can't quite understand when they allow Evans so it's not like it's to support only LBS's.

And yeah Planet X - I know :laugh:
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    And yeah Planet X - I know :laugh:

In all seriousness, have you called them and asked about fitting 'guards?
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,683 Member
    Options
    Whyte Dorset came out on top of a six bike sub £1000 group test of Cross / Commuter bikes, and appears to have pretty much tick all the boxes Fran... Certainly looks like it'd be worth a try...
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I'm considering the Kona Jake but I'm not sure it's easy to find in the UK.

http://www.konaworld.com/jake.cfm
  • TheBigYin
    Options

I had test ridden and decided upon the Evans Cycles' own brand Pinnacle Arkose Three, was already to take it there and then - they went to fit the mudguards (SKS full ones) and found that the front fork was missing the hole! A few days later and it turns out to be a universal "fault" and they have decided not to fix them but to sell them at clearance price as the 2015 range is due out mid-August.

Fran

If the hole you are referring to is inside the head tube of the fork, that is easily remedied. A good bike shop will be able to install an umbrella nut inside the tube. This is the same as the one that holds the stem cap on the other end of the head tube of the fork.
    At the very least, they can push the top one down and put a new one in the top. These umbrella nuts are a few bucks each although no telling what they charge for labor.

Fran - there's Absolutely no fecking way I'd be installing one of those "star nuts" into a carbon fork. No Way on earth. Immediate warranty invalidation for a start - there's a reason they use Expansion plugs in carbon forks and that is, those star-nuts are DESIGNED to dig into the material of the fork to grip - fine on aluminium or steel steerers in cheap clunkers or vintage kit, but a serious no-no on carbon.
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    Not to mention that a fair proportion of carbon forks don't actually have a hole in the fork arch that passes up to the steerer tube...
  • Frannybobs
    Options
    Whyte Dorset came out on top of a six bike sub £1000 group test of Cross / Commuter bikes, and appears to have pretty much tick all the boxes Fran... Certainly looks like it'd be worth a try...

Your tip-off towards Whyte bikes proved very helpful, as I have ended up ordering one from the new 2015 Whyte RD-7 (fast commuter) range due out mid-late August. They've introduced a couple of women's specific ones which is great as the reach has been too long on every men's 'cross bike I've tried. It's just perfick for me and my purposes (with the hydraulic disc brakes particularly and it also looks cool!) so is now on order in size 49... roll on August!!

http://whyte.bike/gb/models/commuterroad/rd-7-road-disc/devon-womens/

Thanks to everyone for the advice all round :)
  • Frannybobs
    Options

Yeah I did look at that one actually - something put me off - might have been the brakes...were they canti's and I was after disc brakes???
  • Frannybobs
    Options

Fran

If the hole you are referring to is inside the head tube of the fork, that is easily remedied. A good bike shop will be able to install an umbrella nut inside the tube. This is the same as the one that holds the stem cap on the other end of the head tube of the fork.
    At the very least, they can push the top one down and put a new one in the top. These umbrella nuts are a few bucks each although no telling what they charge for labor.

Fran - there's Absolutely no fecking way I'd be installing one of those "star nuts" into a carbon fork. No Way on earth. Immediate warranty invalidation for a start - there's a reason they use Expansion plugs in carbon forks and that is, those star-nuts are DESIGNED to dig into the material of the fork to grip - fine on aluminium or steel steerers in cheap clunkers or vintage kit, but a serious no-no on carbon.

Haha!! My fella actually suggested just drilling a hole ourselves - in carbon - really????????? And he's an engineer - albeit an electrical engineer, lol!
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    Options

Yeah I did look at that one actually - something put me off - might have been the brakes...were they canti's and I was after disc brakes???

The 2014s have mechanical discs. I think last years still had rims.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    Options

Your tip-off towards Whyte bikes proved very helpful, as I have ended up ordering one from the new 2015 Whyte RD-7 (fast commuter) range due out mid-late August. They've introduced a couple of women's specific ones which is great as the reach has been too long on every men's 'cross bike I've tried. It's just perfick for me and my purposes (with the hydraulic disc brakes particularly and it also looks cool!) so is now on order in size 49... roll on August!!

http://whyte.bike/gb/models/commuterroad/rd-7-road-disc/devon-womens/

Thanks to everyone for the advice all round :)

Ooooo. That looks nice. Awesome that it's women's specific.