Post your ice cream/gelato recipes!

Options
ILiftHeavyAcrylics
ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
This is a thread for posting ice cream or gelato recipes. Recipes can be your own, recipes from other sources that you have tried, or recipes that you would like to try. If you've made the recipe in question I'm sure our members would greatly appreciate the calorie/macro data and any changes that you made.

Thanks and happy ice cream making!

Replies

• GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    jwhited, I'm looking at you :flowerforyou:

I'm here :) I just found you a Chocolate Malted recipe This one has a custard base so I can't test it out first. But sounds really good. http://www.afamilyfeast.com/chocolate-malted-ice-cream/

chocolate_malted_ice_cream1.jpg
    Ingredients

1 cup whole milk
    3 cups heavy cream
    ¾ cups sugar
    ¼ cup Chocolate Ovaltine (or other chocolate malted milk powder)
    4 egg yolks
    1 cup Whoppers (or other chocolate malted milk candy)
    Instructions

Prep your ice cream maker to make ice cream per manufacturer’s instructions.

In a heavy bottomed saucepan heat the milk, heavy cream, sugar and chocolate Ovaltine (or other chocolate malted milk powder), stirring often until the sugar and chocolate Ovaltine are completely dissolved and the mixture is hot, but not boiling.
    In medium sized mixing bowl, whisk the eggs yolks. Then, while continuing to whisk, temper the eggs by slowly pouring a small amount of the hot cream mixture into the egg yolks. (When you temper the eggs like this, you will prevent the eggs from cooking as you add them to the hot cream mixture.) Keep whisking and adding more of the hot mixture until there is about a cup of the hot cream mixture in with the egg yolks.

When the egg mixture is smooth, slowly add it to the remainder of the hot cream mixture in the saucepan, whisking constantly.
    Cook over medium heat for 3-4 minutes, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens a bit and it coats the back of a spoon. (Be careful not to let the mixture boil or get too hot, otherwise the mixture will curdle.)

Remove from the heat and pour the mixture through a fine strainer that has been placed over a large bowl. (Discard any egg solids that are left behind in the strainer.)

Cover the cream mixture with a piece of plastic wrap – placing the plastic directly against the mixture so that a skin will not form. Let chill overnight or for at least 4-6 hours until completely chilled.

When you are ready to churn your ice cream – refer to your ice cream maker manufacturer’s instructions.

While the ice cream is churning, cut each Whopper (or other chocolate malted milk ball) in half.

When the ice cream is almost done churning, add the Whopper candy halves into the ice cream and churn until the candy is completely dispersed throughout the ice cream.

Let churned ice cream chill for at least another 4-6 hours before serving.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    Sweet!
  • GiveMeCoffee
    Options
    And here's one with no custard base that I will be trying :drinker:
    http://www.recchiuti.com/recipe_detail.html?recipe=44

Makes 1 quart

Ingredients:
    5.5 ounces 64% Semisweet Recchiuti chocolate, coarsely chopped
    1.75 cups whole milk
    .5 cup granulated sugar
    .75 cup heavy whipping cream
    2 Tablespoons unhopped barley malt syrup
    a pinch of salt

Put the chocolate in a stainless steel bowl.

Stir in the milk, cream, and sugar together in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Remove from the heat and stir in the malt syrup and salt. Pour the hot liquid over the chocolate and let sit for 5 minutes.

Whisk the mixture to combine the chocolate with the liquid. Then blend with an immersion blender until the liquid is smooth and no chocolate particles are visible.

Pour the ice cream base into a smaller bowl, cover, and refrigerate overnight. Or, if desired, pour the ice cream base into a wide, shallow dish and refrigerate until cooled completely.

When the base has cooled (either refrigerated in a shallow dish or overnight), remove from the refrigerator and mix with an immersion blender until completely smooth. Churn the blended base in an ice-cream maker.

Please note that it is very easy to over-churn this ice cream, resulting in an unpleasant, fatty texture. Churn this ice cream just until it resembles soft serve ice cream and then freeze it for about 2-3 hours, or overnight, depending on the temperature of your freezer. The ice cream will firm up enough for you to scoop it easily.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    Options
    Wow, oh my that looks so good.

Something tells me this thread is finally going to make me listen to you and buy an ice cream maker.

My goal is to get all my friends to buy an ice cream maker! Figure $30 or so investment for the maker, my ingredients range from $2-5 and it makes a quart of ice cream. Definitely cheaper than feeding my gelato needs at the store :) Oh guess I need to post the nutter butter one too
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Wow, oh my that looks so good.

Something tells me this thread is finally going to make me listen to you and buy an ice cream maker.

My goal is to get all my friends to buy an ice cream maker! Figure $30 or so investment for the maker, my ingredients range from $2-5 and it makes a quart of ice cream. Definitely cheaper than feeding my gelato needs at the store :) Oh guess I need to post the nutter butter one too

Definitely the nutter butter one, and the blueberry cheesecake one. If they are all in this thread it will be easier for me to find!
  • GiveMeCoffee
    Options
    11glyt5.png

First you have to make the caramel sauce or you could always buy some but it’s really easy to make

heart Caramel Sauce heart

200 g (1 cup) of Sugar
    ¼ cup water
    ¾ cups heavy cream
    3 tablespoons salted butter
    1 teaspoon sea salt
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract

In a heavy-bottomed saucepan, combine the sugar and water over medium-low heat until the sugar dissolves. Increase heat and bring to a boil, without stirring. If necessary, use a wet pastry brush to wash down any sugar crystals on the side of the pan.

Boil until the syrup is a deep amber color, 5-6 minutes, watching closely. Remove from heat and carefully whisk in heavy cream (the mixture will bubble). Stir in butter and salt, and vanilla

Transfer the caramel to 2 (8 oz.) jars or 1 large jar, and let cool uncovered.

This will keep in the refrigerator up to 2 weeks. Reheat before serving.

heart Now to make the Ice Cream heart

6 oz of the caramel sauce (My caramel from above filled 1- 8 oz jar and the other was 6.1 oz so I used that)
    1 can sweetened condensed milk (I used the Fat free because it’s all I had left and couldn’t tell any difference)
    1 cup half and half
    1 cup either whole milk or light cream (I used light cream)
    2 ounces Philadelphia cream cheese softened

For the mixture and deciding how much to add was done by taste an oz at a time until it had a nice caramel flavor (That was at 4 oz - weighed ounces not fluid ounces.)

Mix 4 ounces of the caramel sauce with all the other ingredients, once thoroughly mixed add to Ice cream maker per instructions. About 30 – 40 minutes for mine to churn. After churning, add in remaining 2 oz of caramel sauce use a spatula or knife to fold it in to the ice cream. Freeze for about 4-5 hours and then enjoy!!
  • GiveMeCoffee
    Options
    For this one I didn't use the sprinkles and only used half the nutter butters (I just ate the rest of them)

2sbws3d.jpg

No-Ice-Cream-Maker Salted Caramel, Bourbon, Nutter Butter and Chocolate Chunk Ice Cream
    http://www.averiecooks.com/2013/07/no-ice-cream-maker-salted-caramel-bourbon-nutter-butter-and-chocolate-chunk-ice-cream.html

YIELD: about 2 quarts PREP TIME: 10 minutes COOK TIME: 0 minutes TOTAL TIME: about 6 hours, for chilling
    INGREDIENTS:

2 cups whipping cream or heavy whipping cream - for the No-Ice-Cream-Maker version (if using an ice cream maker, use 4 cups/1 quart)
    one 14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk
    1/4 cup bourbon (if omitting, use 2 tablespoons vanilla extract)
    1 pound (16 ounce) package Nutter Butter cookies, or peanut butter-sandwich cookies, coarsely chopped
    8 to 10 ounces semi-sweet or dark chocolate, chopped
    3/4 cup+ chocolate sprinkles
    8 ounces (salted) caramel sauce (use homemade or storebought), divided

DIRECTIONS:

These directions (through number 6) reflect the No-Ice-Cream-Maker method.

To the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment (or large mixing bowl and hand mixer; or lots of elbow grease doing it by hand), whip 2 cups heavy cream to very stiff peaks, about 5 minutes on high power.

Add half the can of sweetened condensed milk, bourbon (or vanilla), and fold gently to combine. After it's combined, add the remaining sweet milk. Fold means turn the mixture over with a spatula from the bottom of the bowl up, rotate the bowl, repeat until the mixture is homogenous. The goal is to keep all that fluffy cream you just made as fluffy as possible. Take your time and be gentle. If your mixture has deflated or is on the soupy side, turn the mixer back on, and whip for another few minutes until it's re-puffed.

Add the cookies, chocolate, sprinkles, and drizzle about half the caramel sauce over it. Fold gently to combine.
    Transfer ice cream mixture to a freezer-safe 2-quart container with a lid or freezer-safe bowl that can be covered with plasticwrap. When you're transferring the ice cream from mixing bowl to storage container, every few cupfuls, stop and drizzle some caramel sauce in, creating layers of caramel in the container.

Cover and freeze for at least 6 hours, or until solid. Ice cream takes about 5 minutes to come up to room temperature to scoop it out without having to wrestle with a rock. Ice cream will keep airtight in the freezer for up to 3 months.

If you are Using an Ice Cream Maker - Stir together 4 cups heavy cream, sweetened condensed milk, and bourbon. Stir in the add-ins as indicated in step 4. Follow processing directions on your ice cream maker, noting to chill the mixture if necessary before churning. After churning and as you're transferring it into a container, layer in the remaining caramel sauce as indicated in step 5.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    Options
    Blueberry Cheesecake Ice cream recipe

6r79xe.png

Blueberry Sauce
    2 cups fresh blueberries
    1/4 cup sugar
    1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
    1 tablespoon cold water
    1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
    2 teaspoons amaretto

Ice Cream
    8 oz cream cheese, cut into 4 pieces
    zest of 1 lemon
    1 cup sour cream
    1/2 cup half-and-half
    2/3 cup sugar
    1/8 teaspoon salt
    1/4 cup crushed graham crackers

To make the sauce: In a medium saucepan, combine the blueberries and sugar. Set over medium heat and cook until the blueberries begin to release their juices. Meanwhile, in a small bowl stir the cornstarch together with the cold water and lemon juice until well combined and smooth. Once the blueberries have started to release their juices, stir in the cornstarch mixture. Bring the blueberries to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook for 1 minute. Turn off the heat under the pan and stir in the amaretto. (The sauce will be slightly chunky, you can leave it like that or mash the berries. I mashed them because I didn’t want big chunks of blueberry in the ice cream.)

To make the ice cream: In the bowl of your food processor, combine the cream cheese, lemon zest, sour cream, half-and-half, sugar, and salt. Process until smooth. Transfer to an airtight container and chill in the refrigerator for several hours (or overnight, which is what I did).

Freeze in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions. When the ice cream reaches soft serve consistency, add the crushed graham crackers and continue churning until incorporated, another minute or two. Transfer about half of the ice cream to an airtight container then dollop about 4 tablespoons of the blueberry sauce (you can use more or less, it’s entirely up to you) on top. Use a thin knife to swirl the ice cream and sauce together. Top with the remaining ice cream and then another 4 tablespoons of blueberry sauce, and again use the knife to swirl together. Store in an airtight container in your freezer. (This ice cream freezes pretty hard, you’ll probably want to let it sit at room temperature for a few minutes before scooping.)

Makes about 3 cups of ice cream
  • GiveMeCoffee
    Options
    And here's some links to lots of wonderfully delicious recipes

This one will be made soon... because BACON!
    http://www.tastespotting.com/features/brown-butter-candied-bacon-ice-cream-recipe-from-coolhaus

This one is 26 ideas that don't require an ice cream maker
    http://www.crazyforcrust.com/2013/05/easy-ice-cream-recipes/

Here's the first one I tried:
    http://eatathomecooks.com/2013/06/homemade-peanut-butter-ice-cream-no-cooking-required.html
    Now for today's creation:

This one for all you Jeni Splendid Ice cream lovers here's her Salted Caramel recipe :)
    http://www.the-baker-chick.com/2013/08/salty-caramel-ice-cream/
  • WinoGelato
    Options
    Went to visit my good friend Pinterest b/c I didn't want jwhited to be the only one posting recipes! *disclaimer* I have not tried any of these actual recipes... they just sound good!

Snickerdoodle Ice Cream

Makes 1 quart

Ingredients:

1/2 cup sugar
    1/2 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
    1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg (freshly ground if available)
    2 cups heavy whipping cream
    1 1/2 cups half-and-half (the fat-free version can be used)
    1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Directions:

1 In a medium mixing bowl, combine sugars and spices. Stir in the rest of the ingredients until well-mixed.

2 Pour mixture into a 1 quart ice cream maker, and freeze according to manufacturer's instructions.

Source: http://dessert.food.com/recipe/snickerdoodle-ice-cream-for-ice-cream-maker-172098

picNc7Og9.jpg
  • WinoGelato
    Options
    Chocolate Peanut Butter Ice Cream

1 cup heavy whipping cream
    1 cup whole milk
    1/3 cup unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder
    1/2 cup sugar
    Pinch of salt
    1/3 cup smooth peanut butter

Note: This ice cream needs time to chill so be sure to factor that into your preparation time.

1. Whisk together the whipping cream, milk, cocoa powder, sugar, and salt in medium sauce-pan. Heat mixture over medium heat, whisking constantly, until it comes to a full, roiling boil (it should start to foam up). Remove from heat and stir in peanut butter, stirring until thoroughly blended.

2. Chill the mixture thoroughly (at least 3-4 hours), then freeze in your ice cream maker according to manufacturer's instructions.

Note: This ice cream freezes fantastically, in case you have any left over :).

Makes about 1 quart

Choc+PB+Ice+Cream.jpg
  • WinoGelato
    Options
    Anybody got a popsicle maker? I do, we don't use it often, I should get it out the kids would have fun!

mango-coconut-pops.jpg

Simply Obsessed Frozen Coconut Mango Pops
    Skinnytaste.com
    Servings: 10 • Size: 1 popsicle • Old Points: 1 pts • Weight Watcher Points+: 2 pt
    Calories: 68 • Fat: 2 g • Carb: 14 g • Fiber: 1 g • Protein: 0 g • Sugar: 13 g
    Sodium: 2 mg • Cholest: 0 mg

Ingredients:

3/4 cup unsweetened coconut milk beverage
    1 3/4 cups diced ripe mango
    1 cup canned light coconut milk
    1/4 cup sugar (I used raw)
    2 tablespoons honey (I like raw, stevia would work too)

Directions:

Puree mango in the blender with 1/4 cup of the coconut milk beverage and sugar and blend until smooth. Set aside.

In a medium bowl combine the remaining coconut milk beverage, canned coconut milk and the honey; mix well until combined thoroughly.

Pour about 2 tablespoons of mango puree into each popsicle mold then pour coconut milk mix, until all the molds are filled. Place the molds in the freezer and freeze until solid, about 5 to 6 hours.
  • mtruitt01
    mtruitt01 Posts: 370 Member
    Options

I'm going to buy a popsicle maker today (the best one I can find, not just the flimsy ones I used to buy) just to make these! Thanx.
  • WinoGelato
    Options

I'm going to buy a popsicle maker today (the best one I can find, not just the flimsy ones I used to buy) just to make these! Thanx.

I have actually made those - and they were really good. They weren't as pretty as the picture, but the flavor combination is awesome.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    Options
    Ohhh I was looking through the ice cream issue thread and saw the suggestion of Ample Hills Salted Crack Caramel Ice cream and look what I found! I have not tried this yet but it's going on the must make list, but I'll probably switch out my caramel ice cream and then follow their recipe but here you go:

http://brooklynbased.com/blog/2014/04/28/ample-hills-salted-caramel-ice-cream/

From the new Ample Hills Creamery: Secrets and Stories from Brooklyn’s Favorite Ice Cream Shop

ac61p5.jpg

For the Salted Caramel Ice Cream:
    1 ½ cups (300 g) organic cane sugar
    ¼ cup (60 g) unsalted butter
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 cup (240ml) heavy cream
    2 cups (480 ml) whole milk
    6 egg yolks

For Deb’s Crack Cookies:
    Butter for the baking sheet
    45 saltine crackers
    ¾ cup (180 g) unsalted butter
    1 cup (200 g) organic cane sugar
    10 ounces (280 g) milk chocolate, chopped

Make the salted caramel ice cream: Prepare an ice bath in the sink or in a large heatproof bowl.

In a medium saucepan, heat the sugar over medium-high heat, stirring frequently with a rubber spatula as it melts. When it has melted completely and drips smoothly off the spatula (with no discernible sugar granules), remove the spatula and continue to cook the sugar without stirring. Watch the pan closely—the caramel will turn darker in color. Watch for smoke to rise off the top. When the caramel starts to smoke, count to ten and remove the pan from the heat.

Using an oven mitt, carefully add the butter to the pan. It might spatter when it hits the hot caramel, so be careful. Stir the mixture with a rubber spatula until the butter has melted and the mixture is smooth and combined. Add the salt. Slowly pour in the cream—it will bubble up, but you must continue to stir 
it as you pour, so the cream incorporates smoothly into the caramel. Be careful! Add the milk and stir to combine.

Clip a candy thermometer to the saucepan and return the 
pan to the heat. Cook, stirring often with a rubber spatula and scraping the bottom of the pan to prevent sticking and burning, until the mixture reaches 110 F (45 C), 5 to 10 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat.

Place the egg yolks in a medium bowl. While whisking, slowly pour 1⁄2 cup (120 ml) of the hot milk mixture into the egg yolks to temper them. Continue to whisk slowly until the mixture is an even color and consistency, then whisk the egg-yolk mixture back into the remaining milk mixture.

Return the pan to the stovetop over medium heat and continue cooking the mixture, stirring often, until it reaches 165 F (75 C), 5 to 10 minutes more.

Transfer the pan to the prepared ice bath and let cool for 15 
to 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Pour the ice cream base through a wire-mesh strainer into a storage container and place in the refrigerator for 1 to 2 hours, or until completely cool.

Make Deb’s crack cookies: Preheat the oven to 350 F (175 C). Butter a 12-by-18-inch baking sheet and line it with parchment paper.

Spread the crackers out in even rows in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet.

In a medium saucepan, melt the butter and sugar over medium- high heat, whisking occasionally to combine. When the butter and sugar start to bubble up, remove the pan from the heat and whisk in the vanilla.

Gently pour the butter mixture over the crackers and use a spatula to spread it evenly. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until the sugar has caramelized, turning light brown in color.

Remove the baking sheet from the oven and sprinkle the chocolate over the crackers. Wait a few moments for the chocolate to begin to melt, then use a spatula to gently spread the chocolate over the crackers in an even layer.

Let the crack cookies cool. Refrigerate for 1 hour, then chop the cookies into bite-size pieces and set aside.
    Transfer the cooled base to an ice cream maker and churn it according to the manufacturer’s instructions.

Transfer the ice cream to a storage container, folding in
the crack cookie pieces as you do. Use as many of the cookie pieces as you want; you won’t necessarily need the whole batch.

Serve immediately or harden in your freezer for 8 to 12 hours for a more scoopable ice cream.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    ingredients:

car
    gas
    money

instructions:
    drive to coldstone. ask for a "hey batter batter batter" ice cream. Profit.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    11glyt5.png

First you have to make the caramel sauce or you could always buy some but it’s really easy to make

heart Caramel Sauce heart

200 g (1 cup) of Sugar
    ¼ cup water
    ¾ cups heavy cream
    3 tablespoons salted butter
    1 teaspoon sea salt

In a heavy-bottomed saucepan, combine the sugar and water over medium-low heat until the sugar dissolves. Increase heat and bring to a boil, without stirring. If necessary, use a wet pastry brush to wash down any sugar crystals on the side of the pan.

Boil until the syrup is a deep amber color, 5-6 minutes, watching closely. Remove from heat and carefully whisk in heavy cream (the mixture will bubble). Stir in butter and salt, and vanilla

Transfer the caramel to 2 (8 oz.) jars or 1 large jar, and let cool uncovered.

This will keep in the refrigerator up to 2 weeks. Reheat before serving.

heart Now to make the Ice Cream heart

6 oz of the caramel sauce (My caramel from above filled 1- 8 oz jar and the other was 6.1 oz so I used that)
    1 can sweetened condensed milk (I used the Fat free because it’s all I had left and couldn’t tell any difference)
    1 cup half and half
    1 cup either whole milk or light cream (I used light cream)
    2 ounces Philadelphia cream cheese softened

For the mixture and deciding how much to add was done by taste an oz at a time until it had a nice caramel flavor (That was at 4 oz - weighed ounces not fluid ounces.)

Mix 4 ounces of the caramel sauce with all the other ingredients, once thoroughly mixed add to Ice cream maker per instructions. About 30 – 40 minutes for mine to churn. After churning, add in remaining 2 oz of caramel sauce use a spatula or knife to fold it in to the ice cream. Freeze for about 4-5 hours and then enjoy!!
    oh my god.

Want.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    I have a popsicle maker but haven't really used it. I made some rootbeer float popsicles the other day but haven't tried one yet. I'll let you guys know if it's good.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I need an ice cream maker in my life so bad