PCOS and Red Meat?

Options
You know, Goggle can be your friend sometimes... but it can also be very confusing with the vast amount of information out there. I mean, how do you know what to trust? How do you know what is a credible, reliable source?

Eat this. Don't eat that. Do this. Don't do that.

There is so much information out there and it all seems to contradict itself.

So, I'm asking your thoughts.

I know every person is different. I know that what works for one person may not necessarily work for another.

Here is a bit of my story and my question:

I have not eaten red meat in 14 years. No real reason behind it. My mom doesn't eat it and my aunt doesn't eat it, so one day in high school I said, "I wonder how long I can go without it." And now, it's been 14 years without it.
I recently got married and I love cooking for my husband. But, I hate that he misses out on some of his favorite meals (i.e. Salisbury steak and meatloaf) because I don't eat red meat. Since I haven't eaten it in so long and my mom doesn't eat it, I really did not grow up learning how to cook it.
Here is why I say all this. I am considering adding it back into my diet in small amounts. I'd love to be able to cook it for my husband, without having to make us separate meals. Does red meat have an affect on PCOS? I am looking into getting grass-fed meat, as I have read that it has less added hormones than other meat and that (the added hormones) is what can affect PCOS, rather than the meat itself.

Any thoughts on this?

Replies

• Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with red meat, in and of itself. In fact, it may even be very beneficial, as it's full of good fats (Omega-3s if you get grass-fed), iron, B12, and a number of other vitamins and nutrients.
  • Lizabelle1212
    Lizabelle1212 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I've not heard/read of it affecting PCOS in any negative way. I eat red meat - albeit somewhat sparingly, but I do eat it. And am losing weight & managing my PCOS just fine at the moment. I have heard that grass-fed is better, as you mentioned, but that's about it.