Calorie count

Options
kellysuemclean
kellysuemclean Posts: 25 Member
I had my VSG 6/6/14. So far I have lost 24 pounds. I am not having too hard of a time sticking to the recommendations, but as I read some of the comments on other posts, I realized that I don't remember receiving any instructions about how many calories I should be taking in or limiting myself to. What are some of the recommendations you have received?

Replies

• Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    650 first month then 750-800 second month and 900-1000 until you achieve maintenance. At 8 months out I eat around 1100. I lose best at 950. I am 5'5" 156 lbs and working towards 145
  • pattycakes726
    pattycakes726 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    You should ask your doc. Mine wanted me to focus on protein, liquids and forming good habits, not on calories. People are all over the map on calories post-sleeve. At 6 weeks out, I was averaging about 500-600 calories a day (and very full!). I'm just over a year out and eat 1000-1200 a day now. I increased my calories as I'm edging toward maintenance. Just 4 more lbs to lose :)
  • kellysuemclean
    kellysuemclean Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your responses. I guess my doc does not want to focus on calories now, and that's why I did not receive any instructions. My next appointment is 7/29, and I will verify this with him then.
  • bikrchk
    bikrchk Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I wasn't given a specific calorie goal early on, but was scolded for eating too little at one point and told to add snacks. Once I did that, I think I was around 600-800 cal the first few months and gradually went up to between 1000-1200 after about month 3 or 4. I burn about 600 calories 5 days per week (per my heartrate monitor) on cardio which helps me be able to eat a bit more and still lose. I'm in month 10 now and 3 pounds from my goal of 145 @ 5'6". This is a really managable place calorie wise for me right now. I may decide to stretch a bit to 135, (my original goal). Bumped it up by 10 pounds when I hit a size 4. LOL.
  • bikrchk
    bikrchk Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your responses. I guess my doc does not want to focus on calories now, and that's why I did not receive any instructions. My next appointment is 7/29, and I will verify this with him then.

That exactly right. You're still early in the process. Hydration and protein come before everything else especially early on.
  • Ujj7
    Ujj7 Posts: 51
    Options
    my doc said to keep it close to 1000 cal (I'm 5'10"), I've been loosing about 2 lb /week. I'm work on buliding muscle with pilates 4x/wk and walking 3-4x/week.
  • dsjsmom23
    dsjsmom23 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I had my surgery June 24, I wasn't given a calorie number, I was just told HYDRATE HYDRATE HYDRATE!
    Also was told that my protein goal is around 80. (Which i'm not quite hitting yet)

I see my dietician on Thursday, i'm averaging around 500 cal per day. I'm hoping she isn't going to tell me to eat more. I'm struggling to get that in right now.
    It's slowly going up though.