Deciding to deal with it

Options
lawgirl0520
lawgirl0520 Posts: 15 Member
Hello everyone,

I am new here and I am really excited to find this group! I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was 14 years old. I immediatley switched to a atkins type diet, and was put on more pills and creams than I could not even begin to comprehend at that age. I know I was put on glucophage, and metformin, but I do not remember what else. For the first few weeks thins seemed to go alright. I was excited about living this new life and making my not so ideal side effects (hair, weight, skin tags etc) go away. I started getting sick every morning from the meds, and the doctor switched to spread the doses out over administrations during the day (I went from 2 pills twice a day to 1 pill 4 times a day) but I was still getting sick. The doctor told me to keep going with it, and it would get better. Unfortunatley at 14/15 years old getting sick just as you arrive to school is not something that you can tell yourself to just deal with. So--I quit taking the pills. I felt a lot better during the day and never went back. I did the same with the diet. Low carb pasta was just not the same, brown rice was hard to find, and fruit is my favorite thing in the world to eat.

I progressivley got larger and larger, and the symptoms worse and worse. And now I am 25, 280lbs, can't pull my hair back because of the skin tags on my neck, wear sleveless shirts for fear of my arm pits showing, and cant make it up a flight of stairs without getting out of breath. I know the best thing I can do for my weight is go back to the doctor and get back on those meds, but I am scared of getting that same sickness and quitting all over again.

Does anyone else have the same experience? Or know of any other things to ask the doctor, any alternatives or anything?

Thanks!

Replies

• sharimedina
    sharimedina Posts: 116
    Options
    Hi! They have extended release metformin now. Might be worth asking about. 1 pill that releases over 24 hours. I am also diabetic with insulin resistance and hated metformin so now I take a victoza shot once a day. Also a low dose birth control would probably help a great deal. Diet and exercise obviously help too. I think the hardest thing about PCOS is how slow the weight comes off....so don't get discouraged, think of it as a lifestyle change...make a bunch of friends here, and stick to committing to log your foods and exercise. Good luck!
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Go to the doctor and at least get tests done. Weight and whatnot are not reliable indicators if things are working for the most part. At the very least, get your fasting insulin tested, so that you can get a baseline number to work from. Trust me, just going by your weight or any of the other symptoms is a blind, frustrating endeavor.

That said, I highly recommend what basically amounts to Atkins Paleo -- a low-carb, high-fat, grain-free, whole foods approach -- when it comes to diet. This has, in my experience, been hands-down the most influential thing to help.

Second, lift weights. It will help you retain lean mass, which keeps your metabolism up. Plus, it does wonders for helping the hormones balance.

Third, try an Inositol supplement, either D-Chiro (DCI) or Myo Inositol (Myo's cheaper, but DCI usually requires a smaller dose). This supplement has had phenomenal reviews for PCOS.

Finally, apple cider vinegar works wonders for skin tags. Soak a small piece of cotton or a cotton ball with ACV and apply to skin tag and cover with a bandaid or piece of medical tape. Leave on overnight, repeat for 3-5 days, until it turns black. Once it turns, it will fall off on its own in a couple of days.
  • ragan4bama
    ragan4bama Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Hi! They have extended release metformin now. Might be worth asking about. 1 pill that releases over 24 hours. I am also diabetic with insulin resistance and hated metformin so now I take a victoza shot once a day. Also a low dose birth control would probably help a great deal. Diet and exercise obviously help too. I think the hardest thing about PCOS is how slow the weight comes off....so don't get discouraged, think of it as a lifestyle change...make a bunch of friends here, and stick to committing to log your foods and exercise. Good luck!
    Good Advice^ It does come off slow and you have ups and downs. I follow a low carb diet and have struggled to find my path. Dont get discourage you can do this!