Need Advice

Options
pennysteed
pennysteed Posts: 80 Member
My original surgery date was 30 July, but it was cancelled due to a problem detected during my upper GI. Okay, I have come to terms with that, and we are working on fixing my esophagus. My question is, my surgeon has given me the option of either having my surgery over Christmas break (I am working on my Masters) or after I graduate in May. For those that have done this surgery, what would you recommend? I will be finishing up my internship (teaching) after the New Year, so I will only have about a three week break between semesters. I guess I am confused since I was hoping to already be on my way to skinny by next summer and looking healthy for my job interviews.

Replies

• bikrchk
    bikrchk Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I went back to my desk job after 10 days. I didn't take narcotic pain meds and didn't experience extreme fatigue, but your mileage may vary. Some folks take longer to bounce back than others.
  • homerismyhero
    homerismyhero Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I did the same- was back at work in about 10 days- but I do have a total "desk job" so if I felt a little tired it's not like I was trying to engage students. I could pull back on meetings a bit and kind of ease my way back into it all- but still, I don't recall being very tired. Maybe think about it this way- if the worst thing happened and you had a hard time recovering - pain, exhaustion, difficulty getting around- could you take it easy on going back, do it part time, leave early or go in late if you needed too?
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I went back to my desk job after 2 weeks. The biggest challenge for me was the food. At first we have to eat every couple of hours in order to get all the protein in. And don't forget the water! 64 ounces every day, but you can't drink for 15 minutes before and 30-60 minutes after (timing depends on what your doc says) so you need to coordinate that too. If you can do all that while student teaching, and it takes coordination but I bet you probably can coordinate it, then having your surgery during Christmas break is doable. If however, you think coordinating all that will be too hard, you will want to wait. Make sense?