7 months out, 1/2 way, and no longer looking at the scale

Options
Caligirl0
Caligirl0 Posts: 14 Member
It took me a LONG time to figure this out, but I don't care what I weigh anymore... Let me explain. I'm thrilled to have lost 49 pounds, which puts me basically at 1/2 way to goal at month 7.

I started at 265 (size 20/22). I'm now 216 (size 16, almost 14). I'm 5'9. Those are the numbers.

The first 20 came off with no effort. The next 29 took hard work. Once I was eating all foods again, albeit much less due to my sleeve restriction, I realized that I could get away with having a couple crackers with my tuna salad, add a bit more mayo than I needed, etc. I had a stall of about a month. And I was very depressed. I didn't have surgery only to lose 30 pounds when I had 100 to lose!

So I got real with myself. I stopped all junk eating. Went back to basics. Started on protein shakes, then soft, then reintroduced solids as I just had surgery again. To reset my mind more than anything. 10 pounds melted off in a 10 day period. I was renewed.

My body had started to change. People were noticing, and my clothes no longer fit. That was a great motivator. But then I also started noticing my flabby body. I needed some fitness goals! I didn't want to end up hating my body after the weight loss because I'd neglected to care for it during the process of losing.

I signed up for an open water / ocean swim 1.2 mile in Sep. Since March I've been training for it. I'm now at about a mile, and getting stronger every week. 6 weeks ago I started working with a personal trainer two days a week for some heavy body weight and circuit training targeting my specific goals: legs, arms, abs, back, shoulders - all swimming muscle groups. I'm seeing such changes now! My clothes are falling off again, so I'll be in a 14 in no time! That's one of my major goals - to be out of plus sizes for good. To be able to shop in any store (if I had the money), lol. I'm enjoying healthful foods which bring me to my goals of PROTEIN & PRODUCE, my new mantra... All the rest is just complimentary. I eat all I want of protein (chicken, fish, etc.) and produce (raw veggies, fruit - more moderated), and maybe just a few bites of whatever else I'm craving on the plate (rice, quinoa, beans, tortilla, rarely pasta and almost never bread, but a bite or two to satisfy a craving is all). I rarely track anymore, but I probably should.

I know my body composition has changed, even though the scale has slowed. I'm replacing fat with muscle, and getting leaner and more fit. Even our bones become more dense as we exercise and strength train. So the scale is a very inefficient way to track those changes.

Which brings me to my point. I'm starting to focus on the physicality of my body (leanness, size, strength, endurance, ability) rather than the scale. So, even though the doctors scale says 165 is my goal weight, we'll see about that. It may be. It may not. I'm still shooting for getting close - or at least into a size 10-12 by my 1 year, which will be December. But I won't be done...

These good habits I'm now getting used to (food and exercise) are going to continue to work for me long beyond my 1 year. And that's what I finally figured out.

The sleeve has helped me in one crucial way... I stop eating instead of stuffing. I don't get hungry as often. And I have no room for the "extra" stuff: bread, pasta, rice, etc. so I have to consciously choose healthier protein and produce options first. This is to build muscle, and also so all my precious hair doesn't fall out!

I'd love to hear your thoughts about when you finally "got it" that the sleeve wasn't going to do all the work for you, and you took up the challenge to rise to the occasion and get fit...

Replies

• garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I "got it" from the minute I started the program through my surgeon's office, which was 9 months before I ever had surgery. From the first visit, I committed to the process and to do all the work I needed to do. I started exercising, and I started tracking everything I was eating on MFP. I really just started to own the facts that I had to make permanent changes and the sleeve would just be a tool, the hard work and commitment would be up to me. I think making these changes 9 months prior to surgery helped me in many ways. I believe it helped me recuperate quickly, and it helped me transition back into eating and exercising again post-surgery much easier -since I had already developed good habits, I didn't have to worry about making too many changes post surgery. Since surgery I have stuck to the plan my surgeon and his team gave me. I know that they know better what will lead me to be successful, and I know what I signed up for. I made the commitment to myself to make this work, because I deserve it!
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I "got it" from the minute I started the program through my surgeon's office, which was 9 months before I ever had surgery. From the first visit, I committed to the process and to do all the work I needed to do. I started exercising, and I started tracking everything I was eating on MFP. I really just started to own the facts that I had to make permanent changes and the sleeve would just be a tool, the hard work and commitment would be up to me. I think making these changes 9 months prior to surgery helped me in many ways. I believe it helped me recuperate quickly, and it helped me transition back into eating and exercising again post-surgery much easier -since I had already developed good habits, I didn't have to worry about making too many changes post surgery. Since surgery I have stuck to the plan my surgeon and his team gave me. I know that they know better what will lead me to be successful, and I know what I signed up for. I made the commitment to myself to make this work, because I deserve it!

My mindset has been similar to Garber6th's; from the initial orientation meeting, I committed to follow their plan to the letter (to the best of my ability). That orientation meeting led me to MFP (and then this group), which has been a significant positive factor in my pre-surgery success.

I have been an advocate of the slow-boat to surgery, allowing me to really incorporate many of the required post-surgery behaviors and mindset into my life prior to the surgery. I cringe a little when I see folks trying to rush the surgery date as quickly as possible. I expect to get my surgery date tomorrow, and I feel well prepared because it has been 3+ months since the orientation date, and well over a year since I started working toward getting insurance approval.

As far as scale number versus body changes, I like the hard data that the scale number gives me, but it takes caution to not overreact to the short term scale fluctuations. My long terms weight charts move up and down, but for the past 15 years they have told a consistent "up and unhealthy" story, and I am now in the preface/introduction chapters of my "down and healthy" book!

Rob
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    I stopped medicating with food almost a year before surgery. In fact I would have never had surgery but my health deteriorated over a 90 day period and I had run out of time. I began the 6 month process and was sleeved in Nov. 2013. I go by my clothes mostly these days. I do check the scale but it really just confirms my clothes. I am a very loose size 8, snug size 6. The surgeon hoped for 180 and I was at 169 at 6 months. My goal is 135-145, I am at 156 at 5'5". Meat, veg and fruit are what I focus on. Food is really just fuel now. It is so liberating to not orient my day around food. Being physically able to do anything without pain or exhaustion is way better than any rich carby treat.
  • Ksh1055
    Ksh1055 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I didn't even purchase a scale until 2-3 months post-surgery, thinking I would become obsessed with weighing myself. Quite the opposite has happened. Even though the scale is in plain sight in the bathroom I rarely get on it. Probably should at least in a more consistent manner - maybe once a month.

I went and still do go by how my clothes fit. Most of them have to be altered.or be donated as they are literally falling off me. I know the baggy look is terrible, but I don't have money to keep buy clothing that won't fit in a couple months, then have to buy some more. My step-mom is going to help me alter the blouses, tops, tanks and maybe a couple pair of pants. I made a promise to myself that when I get close to my goal weight I will try to NEVER again wear stretch/elastic waist pants/shorts, unless it's to workout, ride bikes.

Since I've really begun working out consistently, every so often I take my measurements. This is something I should also do on a schedule of once a month, as there has been a significant change.

Best of luck to you on this totally worthwhile and life changing journey.
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    I didn't even purchase a scale until 2-3 months post-surgery, thinking I would become obsessed with weighing myself. Quite the opposite has happened. Even though the scale is in plain sight in the bathroom I rarely get on it. Probably should at least in a more consistent manner - maybe once a month.

I went and still do go by how my clothes fit. Most of them have to be altered.or be donated as they are literally falling off me. I know the baggy look is terrible, but I don't have money to keep buy clothing that won't fit in a couple months, then have to buy some more. My step-mom is going to help me alter the blouses, tops, tanks and maybe a couple pair of pants. I made a promise to myself that when I get close to my goal weight I will try to NEVER again wear stretch/elastic waist pants/shorts, unless it's to workout, ride bikes.

Since I've really begun working out consistently, every so often I take my measurements. This is something I should also do on a schedule of once a month, as there has been a significant change.

Best of luck to you on this totally worthwhile and life changing journey.
    The fitted waistband is very key. Everyone i know at maintenance says this is more important than a scale. At the first sign of clothing snugness they dial back the intake. This is a habit i see exhibited by many healthy people. They may indulge but then they immediately reduce intake for the next 24-48 hrs or exercise extra. They don't have any big emotional upset but they absolutely focus on it until their clothes fit properly again. i notice they don't typically talk about it or even mention it. I think that is why we obese people think that it is automatic and that thin people don't have to pay attention when in fact the very opposite is true. They never ignore it, they take action immediately they don't just talk about it.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options

Yup! Me too! From the minute the decision was made I knew the surgery was nothing more than a tool. Use it well and lose the excess weight. Continue to use it and keep the weight off. Going back to old eating habits and no exercise will result in regain. I've seen that happen to a few family members and at least one friend.

As for a saggy body, once done I will have lost 226 pounds. There is no amount of exercise with that kind of loss where I won't have a saggy body. There's way too much empty skin for anything else. And being in my late 50's, the elasticity needed for the skin to shrink is basically gone as well. I guess then that I'm lucky I went into this for the health and mobility, because unless I have major reconstructive surgery, I will never wear a bathing suit or go sleeveless again. I don't hate my body at all. Yes I hope I can eventually get all the excess skin removed. but really I am happy that I'm mobile again, that I'm helathier than I've ever been, and that I can shop in almost any store on the planet and find something to fit me, something that's much cuter than the tents I used to wear and something that shows a much more normal body size than I've had since high school.
  • squeaker31
    Options
    I am 4 1/2 months out ... about halfway to my personal goal - though my personal goal still puts me in the overweight range. I'm using the number that is the lowest I was as an adult, and a weight at which I felt comfortable and healthy.

In some ways, I don't think I have "got it" yet. I haven't quite got my head around what is going to work for me in the long run. One of my goals is to feel confident and balanced in my health choices ... and I still find myself second guessing everything I do. I have identified and eliminated some of my problem foods altogether. I was hoping that eventually I would not need to track and could listen to my body's full signals, but after a few weeks trying that my weight loss has slowed. So I don't know if that's going to work for me or not. It could be just a normal fluctuation, but I don't know.

So I am still looking for the feeling of confidence and balance. My clothes are fitting much better, I have lost a lot of excess weight but I guess I still feel like ... I'm faking being a healthy person. And any minute I'm going to go backwards. While I know I need to be accountable and aware to be successful long term, it turns very quickly into negative thought patterns. I am continuing counseling and I hope some day it will be a little less work to be a healthy me!

Thanks everyone for sharing their stories!
  • Caligirl0
    Options
    Counseling in this area is very effective, especially if we have used food to soothe or numb... There is a biochemical reaction to the foods we eat, and often times, we are in need of certain vitamins or even hormones and have deficiencies we aren't aware of. So journal your feelings around your eating habits, and take them in to your counselor so you can discuss potential deficiencies. We're always so quick to judge and blame ourselves as if this is purely a behavioral endeavor, but there are physical aspects to it as well... Just my 2 cents.

Having fitness goals (ocean swimming 1.2 miles within 6 months, for me) is what got me motivated, and when I started in March, I realized how much work had ahead of me before the event. So I had to train harder/smarter, and start strength training with a fitness trainer so I could get the strength I needed to perform better. I often forget to look at the scale now, because I'll stall for a few weeks even a month, then drop like 10 pounds in a week. Eating EXACTLY the same, exercising EXACTLY the same. Now I just trust in the process... My body is changing. 5 pounds of fat weighs the same as 5 pounds of muscle, but is about 1/4 the size! And firmer! So I don't care about weight anymore. I'm not giving up. I only have to maintain my current regimen, and my body will find it's new normal at some point. That's encouraging because I'm already putting in an amount and type of work I can sustain. I think that's the ticket. Find something you love, do it regularly (not obsessively), and eventually your body will catch up. Trust the process, and as far as diet goes, follow your nutritional guidelines, and you'll get there.

I have cut out all the bad stuff which no longer provides any fuel for my body. But for the occasional bite or two here and there (like once a week or two). On the regular, I'm very strict with my diet, and it's because I'm not going to work hard in the gym to stuff a crappy donut in my mouth and undo an hour of sweat! It's a payoff. But when I wasn't working out, it didn't feel as much of a decision. Exercise is key to the mental shift we must make.
  • Thaeda
    Thaeda Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I am 6 months out.... when did I "get it"? Hmmmm.... not sure. I committed to the process by losing enough weight to get approval by my insurnace company (which I promptly gained back having food funerals in the weeks pre-op). Immediately after the surgery, I did exactly what I was told--- and kept that up til about month 4.... then I started having a cookie here, some chips there... ice cream occasionally-- nothing over the top, and I was still mainly eating protein/veg. I went on vacation July 12th-26th-- ate whatever I wanted--- didn't end up gaining anything-- but I had some stomach upset and such that was likely due to the changes in how I ate. Here is the deal-- in addition to helping me lose weight, when I eat properly, I feel SO MUCH BETTER. :)

I am where you are in that while I am ok with weight loss. my real focus is on maintaining the good habits I am developing-- eating well, exercising regularly-- and making that a part of my life. It is often said successful losers make "lifestyle changes"-- I always joked when I heard that and said "too bad it is someone else's lifestyle"-- because i could never seem to make the changes I made stick. This time, that is my focus-- "sticky" changes. :) I am at a point now where my mobility is unaffected, I can fit into an airplaine seat, and while I am not remotely thin, no one would look at me and think I was "fat"-- so I am less focused on losing and more focused on making this a new way of life.

Best of luck to you as you train for and participate in that swim you signed up for!
  • Caligirl0
    Options
    That's what I love about VSG... It takes your mind off the diet mindset and really makes you focus on nutrition since there is so much less space in your tummy. You have to choose well!