First time doing Workout B--OHP?!

Options
How much weight?? My arms aren't that strong...and also, do I NEED a spotter? Been practicing the form with a broom...but still nervous to go in to the gym today...

Replies

• krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    It's hard for any of us to tell you how strong you are! That being said, if you started workout A with 45lbs on the bench press and struggled through that, you may want to start off with the fixed weight barbells. You definitely should be able to handle 20lbs. If it's definitely too light, use it as a warm-up set of sorts and try something heavier.

Now if 45 felt like a breeze on bench, it may be possible for you to do it with OHP. But don't feel too bad if you can't push the oly bar up, I think a lot of the women around here started lighter. If you don,t have lighter bars around, do it with dumbbells until you can work up to it.

You don't need a spotter, really. On OHP, if you can't get the bar up, you just can't. It's not gonna go flying and hitting your face! lol Although I would recommend always doing squats with safeties.

Hope that helps!
  • PurringMyrrh
    PurringMyrrh Posts: 5,276 Member
    Options
    My shoulders are a mess so I used 20lbs my first go at OHPs (doing my second A tonight). Felt pretty light and decent even though the next day I could tell I had worked those muscles. Will likely bump it to 30 next round and test the waters.
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    I started with the 30 pound bar. Now I use the 45 pound bar and can add up to 10 pounds to it.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    OHP is more about shoulders...

You OHP should be 65-75% of your bench press so if you can bench 45lbs 5x5 OHP should be between 29 1/4 -33 3/4lbs so you could start with 30lbs and see how that goes...just make sure you warm up a bit too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMAiNQJ6FPc&list=HL1398351893

For form this video often helps.