Hunger or cravings? And where did my period go?

Options
I'm 5'8 female, 33yo, ~145 lbs, doing well keeping my macros at about 20 net grams of carbs daily, keeping my fats very high (~70%) and my protein moderate at about 20%. But almost every-other-night I am insatiable until I have eaten 2000 calories in just dinner and after dinner snacks (snacking because of cravings or hunger). So this means that every-other-day, I am eating 2600 to 2800 calories in the whole day. I workout with a trainer two days a week and it is always the night after a workout and sometimes one additional night per week that I eat like that. My normal "goal" Is to eat around 1200-1350 calories a day while keeping carbs at or below 20 net grams and keeping my fat at around 70%; the remaining 20% or so is for protein. Obviously I have not lost any weight and I have been doing keto for five months with only three "cheat weekends" where I ate a lot of sugar and bread during this five month period. One other thing that I failed to mention is... since starting my keto lifestyle, I have experienced only one period. My period used to come every 23 to 25 days and since being on keto, I have only experienced one period in five months. I know I'm not pregnant because I have taken multiple tests. I have even seen my doctor (not the gynecologist) and had my thyroid tested. My tests came back with fine results; so there were no indications of a thyroid problem. So does anyone know why I am insatiable most nights? Am I just having cravings or is it legitimate hunger due to "needing 2800 calories two to three days a week "? And does anyone know what could be causing my "loss of periods" ( I am currently almost a month past due right now)?

Replies

• ajax041813
    ajax041813 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Hi there! Sorry to hear about your lack of weight loss and irregular cycle. I have seen some people say that upping their carbs directly after their workouts helps to refuel their bodies. I don't work out super hard, about 20 min a day is all I can handle now as I'm getting back into the swing of things. I truly had no idea about the change in cycles. I would maybe look up on WebMD about it and make an appointment with you gyno to rule out any issues. Other than that, the only thing I noticed is your macros add up to 110% instead of 100%. I am no expert though I try to keep mine at 70% fat, 20% protein, and 10% carbs daily to equal 100%. Maybe play with your percentages to see if higher fat, less protein, same carbs help? Also, are you just using a scale, or your weight to measure your progress? Have you used keto urine strips at all to see if you are producing keytones? Not the most accurate but they are easily purchased behind the counter at any pharmacy. Also, are you clothes fitting better? Do you have more defined muscle tone? Muscle weighs more than fat so you could be burning your body fat and replacing it with muscle. Just some thoughts for you. Hope you figure things out soon!
  • Fat4Fuel2
    Fat4Fuel2 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    You probably need more calories daily. 1200 is low especially if you're working out hard with a trainer. You're just hungry. Try upping your calories to 1500 a day or maybe 1700 on days you work out with a protein keto shake after (1tbs butter or coconut oil + protein powder of choice) and then 1350 on days you don't work out.
    As far as the period thing goes? I'm no doctor, but I have noticed since starting keto I only get a period every other month and I'm on the pill. But also tbh at 5'8" 145 lbs, you're in a healthy range. You might need bf for your period. Also, that's another reason why you might be hungry... You're trying to lose vanity weight? Which is tough to do and usually requires slower loss. Hope this helps!